My Kids Are Hurting My Feelings.

Decorating By mom2seven Updated 5 Apr 2007 , 3:30pm by gateaux

mom2seven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2seven Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 9:45pm
post #1 of 53

I love to bake and really don't have time for a hobby but my DH is really pushing me about doing cakes because I love it so much.icon_smile.gif

But I'm so tried of hearing "Mommy way can't you just buy a cake instead of making one?" icon_cry.gif I don't know why they keep asking me this, they love my cakes. icon_sad.gif

I never get anytime to my self and I need this and I don't need anyone making me feel bad just because I want to bake a cake. I do most of my baking when the older ones are at school so way would they ever care what I do when there not here.

Does anyone else get this from there kids or family?

FYI, my kids are 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 3 & 2

52 replies
mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 9:57pm
post #2 of 53

Yes, my kids love to look at store cakes whenever we go to the store. My oldest spent a few years terribly jealous of the other kids who get the store cakes until he started realising that my cakes taste better. icon_lol.gif

We did it to my mom too because she did cakes and it wasn't until we were older that we appreciated it.

I think it's normal for kids to want what they don't have so just ignore them.

mom2seven Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 10:11pm
post #3 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelgard

I think it's normal for kids to want what they don't have so just ignore them.

My kids always got store bought cakes until a few months ago. icon_rolleyes.gif Maybe it's just that other saying "Kids don't like change".

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 10:43pm
post #4 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2seven

Oh girl you know the answer to this!!!!

The kids want to be with you instead!

mom2seven Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 10:51pm
post #5 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by icingandsprinkles

Quote:

Oh girl you know the answer to this!!!!

The kids want to be with you instead!

icon_cry.gif They don't act like it. Sorry I'm having a bad mommy day, no one is listening to me or doing anything I ask them to do. The big ones are keeping watch for dad so they can clean the living room up at the last minute.

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 12:08am
post #6 of 53

My Goodness, How do you find time to even go to the bathroom much less bake and decorate cakes. LOL icon_lol.gif I think that your dh is great for encouraging you to do what you love. As for the kids, tell them they get to choose their hobbies and you get to choose yours. They are jealous of you doing something for someone besides them and they are just kids. Give them a day with DAD and enjoy yourself. thumbs_up.gif

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 12:13am
post #7 of 53

you can't let a chile hurt your feelings - they don't know what they are saying

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 12:18am
post #8 of 53

Why not give them a deal... they are nice and quiet while mommy bakes...then before bed, mommy will play a game with them or something they like doing.

nsouza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nsouza Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 12:22am
post #9 of 53

my husband acts like that (sorry I dont have kids) I'll try some new technique or create a new design and he'll tell me it looks like crap or says "what if people just say they like your cakes so your feelings wont get hurt?" I think he's the one doing the damage to my feelings! I dont know why he says that stuff, because when Im not around he is talking up my cakes like Im some kind of cake diva! He's the one that brings in most of my busisness!

Melody25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melody25 Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 12:23am
post #10 of 53

My sister has 6, and she has developed the buddy system. The older ones help with the littler ones. Hers are 14, 13, 11, 8, 6, and 2 I think it's wonderful that you are doing something for you. I have 3 myself and sometime I wonder HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO ___________ fill in the blank. If they are complaining about wanting store bought cakes...get them one. Let them see for themselves how spoiled they are with Moms cake. Nothing beats homemade!

Kitagrl Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 12:26am
post #11 of 53

I have three and another on the way (all boys) and I do most of my work after bedtime and during naptime...some baking while they are up but that's about it.

TandTHarrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TandTHarrell Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 12:26am
post #12 of 53

u are a strong women I have two 13 and 5 ..no way, i could see myself with 7 i tip my hat off to you........

selahmycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
selahmycat Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 12:26am
post #13 of 53

Boy, did this bring back memories!
When my sister and I were little, my Mom always made our Barbie clothes. We loved looking through the little booklets of outfits that all of our other freind had. Never mind the fact that we had beautiful hand beaded wedding gowns, wool "Jackie Kennedy (boy am I dating myself) suit complete with pill box hats, and we even had real mink stoles!! We just wanted what everyone else had, we didn't want to be different. I still have most of the clothes she made ( I would rather have her!), and I wouldn't give anything for them!!
In the future, they will appericate the wonder job Mom did for them!
Hang in there!!

Les Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Les Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 12:28am
post #14 of 53

You have seven children? I really think that's GREAT!!!! Congrats to you on that, you have truely been blessed. I'll bet Christmas is fun at your house. I only have 3, all boys....and one doesn't like cake, he wants store bought cheese cake. )ok Costco's not bad) ...the youngest doesnt like frosting...(WHO'S kids ARE they?) and the oldest is a a teenager and eats anything put in front of him. But they all do the same thing with cleaning....wait till dad gets home... or My favorite when asked to do some clean up is...."Who's coming over?"

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 12:28am
post #15 of 53

looking at the time scale, the next bundle of joy is due anytime now. icon_lol.gif Make your hubby get a hobby and leave you alone! I'm just joking.How on earth do you even have the time or energy to do cakes? Your kids see how much goes into them and they want every ounce of your attention to themselves. Little ones are selfish like that. That's why they say you have to sacrifice so much when you have them. Could you maybe give them some icing, throw newspaper on the floor and maybe they can decorate some crackers while you do your decorating?
I feel your pain by the way. Keep your chin up and your crativity flowing.

Kitagrl Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 12:29am
post #16 of 53

I guess my kids are different..they are young, but they are enthralled with the cake process and brag to their friends that their mom makes the best cakes. The only thing that would make them happier is if I let them help...but I don't have the patience yet....maybe when they are older!

azterp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azterp Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 12:37am
post #17 of 53

You deserve an award for mothering all those kids. Tell them that you need some time to yourself, and to give you some space in the kitchen. I'm sure they get plenty of your time and attention otherwise.

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 12:44am
post #18 of 53

So what do you do for entertainment? icon_rolleyes.gif

pjleh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjleh Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 12:44am
post #19 of 53

My kids hurt my feelings over cake at times too. I have 3 - 11, 9 & 6. They didn't like it when I started taking the Wilton classes and made a stink about me leaving to go. They made an even bigger stink when I had to do my "homework" for class. I almost stopped going because of them, but my DH encouraged me to keep going for me. The kids aren't used to you focusing on something for you. They will get used to it - mine finally are. Hang in there. icon_biggrin.gif

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 12:53am
post #20 of 53

10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 3, 2......

i bet i can tell you what your hobby is icon_wink.gif

no wonder you have no time. icon_smile.gif

you go girl

Kitagrl Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 12:54am
post #21 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgjam22

10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 3, 2......

i bet i can tell you what your hobby is icon_wink.gif

no wonder you have no time. icon_smile.gif

you go girl

LOL! I dunno, for some of us it doesn't take a hobby! I have a fourth on the way and it sure ain't my hobby.... icon_lol.gif

mom2seven Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 12:58am
post #22 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjleh

My kids hurt my feelings over cake at times too. I have 3 - 11, 9 & 6. They didn't like it when I started taking the Wilton classes and made a stink about me leaving to go. They made an even bigger stink when I had to do my "homework" for class. I almost stopped going because of them, but my DH encouraged me to keep going for me. The kids aren't used to you focusing on something for you. They will get used to it - mine finally are. Hang in there. icon_biggrin.gif

I never even get to do the classes, I'm with the kids ALL the time. In the day I can get out of the house but I have the 3 younger ones with me.

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 1:07am
post #23 of 53

Hi pj, glad to see you post, and welcome

Les Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Les Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 1:09am
post #24 of 53

Is there anyway that DH could take the kids for a few hours 1 nite a week while you are at a class? Then possibly get the older kids involved (while the little ones are napping)...teach them what you learned and practice together. That way, they are occupied, you get done what you want and need to, and they are still near you but not in the way. Who knows, maybe you could turn this into a family business later on down the line.

Beezaly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beezaly Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 1:18am
post #25 of 53
Quote:

OH-MY-GOSH!!!!!!!! No wonder you need some time to yourself!!!!! A person would go mental without a break from that many kids and so close in age!!

Is there any way you can baby-swap with other mothers? Take turns having all of the kids??? I know that's a lot of kids at one time but at least you would get a break.

How about Hubby taking them to the park for the day, or a nice walk.
Try to set something up so that you have at least 1 day all to yourself.

Even Mommies need time to regroup and get their head back in the game!! God Bless and I hope you get that much needed time off. And just remember...they are a Blessing and this too shall pass!! icon_biggrin.gif

(You're a stronger than I am) icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

trulyscrumptious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trulyscrumptious Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 1:18am
post #26 of 53

Hi! You might want to try to include the kids in your baking. I am the oldest of 5 siblings and I've been baking ever since I can remember because my mom and my Gran included me in their baking. At Christmas mom would give us a pile of cookie cutters some dough to roll out and left us to ourselves while she did the "good" baking! icon_lol.gif For my 8th birthday party my mom didn't have it in the budget to buy a cake so she made a plain cake and made royal icing deco's and let us do it our selves. Every single inch was covered when we were through icon_rolleyes.gif and we had a blast doing it! icon_biggrin.gif I'm a pastry cook now and I love to teach my youngest brother who is 12 and a boy I sit for who is 5. They love to bake because they see how fun it can be. If you could show your kids how fun it is to do cakes maybe they'll grow out of asking for a store bought one!
Sorry this got kinda long but I hope it helps!
~Truly

pjleh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjleh Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 1:31am
post #27 of 53

I know how it is when you have kids around all the time. It used to be that way for me too. It took my youngest getting into kindergarten for me to have a minute to myself. I know you don't want to wait that long! I agree with trying to take a class and having your DH or a neighbor, family member, etc. watch the kids for you. It is important to arrange the time to do something you love for you! Good Luck!

(Thanks for the welcome! icon_smile.gif )

msladybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msladybug Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 2:24am
post #28 of 53

WOW 7 kids. I have 2 and keep 2 more during the week and that makes my head spin.

I won't worry to much about it. They are just kids.

My mom used to always make our cakes and Halloween costumes when we were little. We always begged to have store bought ones. So finally she gave in and started buying from the store. I wish she would have continued to have homemade so she could have taught me sooner.

mom2seven Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 3:02am
post #29 of 53

Thanks everyone for the kind words. About DH helping out some, well I hate to ask because he does work hard. 6 days a week, he leaves here (m-f) and drops off the kids at school at 7:15am than gets back home about 6:20pm, Saturday he leaves here about 8am and than back by 6pm. He spends all day Sunday with us.

DH did say that if this hobby turned into a job (he's really pushing for me to open a bakery) than we would put the younger kids in day care or get a nanny, so he's willing to help in anyway he can. Next school year I'll have 5 in school and 1 in pre-k and only 1 at home. Anyone in north TX want to open a bakery with me, LOL?

koolaidstains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koolaidstains Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 3:57am
post #30 of 53
Quote:

Thanks everyone for the kind words. About DH helping out some, well I hate to ask because he does work hard. 6 days a week, he leaves here (m-f) and drops off the kids at school at 7:15am than gets back home about 6:20pm, Saturday he leaves here about 8am and than back by 6pm. He spends all day Sunday with us.

Oh please, he works hard and you don't? It's equal share honey and there is no reason in the world you should feel guilty about asking him to take over one night a week!

My dh is the best and when he comes home from work he rolls his sleeves up and dives right in and if he didn't he'd hear it from me LOL. I have four kids ages 9, 7, 5, and 3 and I know it's a 24 hour a day job! Hubby didn't always get it. Let me tell you the first time I left him with the kids for any significant time (this was when we only had two), his attitude changed completely.

I hear you on the kids wanting store bought though. Mine always want to look through the book at the bakery and I say i can make you anything you want way better than that. "But mom I just want to look." UGH. I also recently became a wilton instructor and kids whined a lot about me leaving them at night.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%