How Can I Make Emerald City?

Decorating By projectqueen Updated 27 Apr 2007 , 12:48am by projectqueen

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 3:45pm
post #1 of 32

Doing a Wizard of Oz cake (stacked 10" and 7" round) and was thinking about having some green things standing up on the 7" round behind some ruby slippers which would symbolize Emerald City.

Any ideas on an easy way to make something green standing up at varying heights to look like Emerald City?

I thought of pretzel rods covered in green chocolate wafers but I'm not sure how to dip them and let them dry so they will stay perfectly round and not flat on one side from laying them down. Breadsticks? Same problem.

Any suggestions from the great thinking minds on CC? icon_wink.gif
Thanks.

31 replies
kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 3:54pm
post #2 of 32

Could you use graham crackers, or maybe Rice Krispy Treats, dipped in candy melts?
Can't wait to see this cake! icon_smile.gif

lu9129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lu9129 Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 4:01pm
post #3 of 32

At the cake store I use they have a castle chocolate mold that could possibly work. Maybe you could find something like that and make it out of the green chocolate discs. Then cover it with luster dust?

Lu

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 4:06pm
post #4 of 32

How about using the enchanted castle pan to mold a green chocolate plaque?
There is an example in the 2007 yearbook on page 15.

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 4:29pm
post #5 of 32

How about using a castle cookie cutter, or draw a template and cut it out of cookie dough yourself. then frost the cookie with green icing, and sparklies,you know, like green edible glitter, or luster dust.

projectqueen Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 4:45pm
post #6 of 32

I love the ideas of the molds and cookie cutters, but I think Emerald City is more rounded than flat. More 3D I think.

Here are 2 photos I saw online:
LL
LL

projectqueen Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 4:53pm
post #7 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjt

Could you use graham crackers, or maybe Rice Krispy Treats, dipped in candy melts?

The Rice Krispy treats sound interesting...how do you work with those? Would they be easy to roll into thin rods like pretzel rods or do they harden too fast? I have never tried to use them to mold anything.

Do you use the recipe from the Rice Krispy box or alter it in some way?

Thanks.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 5:09pm
post #8 of 32

Here is mine. I made cooked sugar syrup, colored it green, I molded pieces or strips of aluminum foil wrapped around large tongue depressors from a hobby store. Carefully removed the sticks from the foil, sprayed it with Pam spray and poured the sugar into each one, about 1/4" thick. They set up quickly. Unmold each piece as it hardens. Then I molded a large piece of foil, also sprayed with pan, inside a large saucepan that I could lay on it's side. Lined the sugar pieces up face side down and then poured just a narrow line of syrup between each piece and let that set up so the city was slightly rounded and in one solid piece.
1/2 cup clear Karo corn syrup
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 Teaspoon water
pour into a large Pyrex cup or a glass bowl
Microwave on 50% power until it is at hard ball stage or 310 degrees
Takes about 4-6 minutes, but test it by dropping a bit of syrup into ice water because your micro. might be hotter or have more power than mine. I used a 2 cup measuring cup because it has a lip for pouring. Add color as soon as you remove from over, stir and pour. Once you have the building pieces made you have remelt the sugar remaining in cup to use as glue for the sections.
LL

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 5:17pm
post #9 of 32

How about green fruit roll ups or fruit by the foot? I like to use the kids fruit snacks when I need a small decoration that is translucent, and I even have a "fruit snack rose" in my photos....

mlwideman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlwideman Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 5:20pm
post #10 of 32

My absolute favorite Emerald City rendition was done by CC member 'mykidsarekillingme'. Go to the photo galleries and do a search for Wizard of Oz and you will see her fabulous cake. She used varying sizes of paper towel holders covered in green fondant. She also did a tiered cake. It is so pretty.

Kitagrl Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 5:21pm
post #11 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlwideman

My absolute favorite Emerald City rendition was done by CC member 'mykidsarekillingme'. Go to the photo galleries and do a search for Wizard of Oz and you will see her fabulous cake. She used varying sizes of paper towel holders covered in green fondant. She also did a tiered cake. It is so pretty.

True, you could probably get a real neat look just using fondant and a bright green metallic disco dust....

projectqueen Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 5:21pm
post #12 of 32

Holy cow, Shirley! How did you ever figure out how to do that? thumbs_up.gif

Your poppies are gorgeous! Even prettier in the close-up picture!

mlwideman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlwideman Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 5:56pm
post #13 of 32

Another idea if you didn't want to use the first one I suggested is using the Pirouline (Sp.?) cookies dipped in green candy melts. In order to make sure they don't flatten on one side you can just stand them up in order for them to dry.

If you use breadsticks like you stated you can use a wooden kabob skewer insterted in it and once dipped you can place the skewer (free end) into a styrofoam block (so they would be hanging upside down). The pretzels would probably crumble if you tried to use the same technique.

Ishie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ishie Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 6:10pm
post #14 of 32

Re: pretzels. You could lay them on a thin wired cooling rack?? Just a thought.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 6:10pm
post #15 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectqueen

Holy cow, Shirley! How did you ever figure out how to do that? thumbs_up.gif

Your poppies are gorgeous! Even prettier in the close-up picture!

Thank you, love doing Poppies, easy and fast. Well, someone had done the sugar beer bottles on another forum and I got to thinking it would work for Emerald City, I just Mickey Moused the molds from foil and the tongue depressors. I always say decorators are the mother of invention. We come up with the strangest things to accomplish what we have in mind to do for a cake.

Melody25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melody25 Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 6:22pm
post #16 of 32

Why couldn't you dip your pretzel rods in green, then wrap the undipped end in plastic wrap and wrap with heavy duty floral wire for support and stick it into a piece of floral foam to dry. Then you can just unwrap the wire and plastic wrap when dry and then put into your cake. Do pretzel rods and the slim breadsticks to get varying sizes and widths.

Stvsbabygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stvsbabygirl Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 6:37pm
post #17 of 32

I think your idea of the covered pretzels is the best idea on here and to keep them from being flat on one side why don't you dip them and then stick the undipped end into styrfoam or some kind of dough so they will stand up straight. whatever you end up doing let us all know and post a picture in this forrum!!

Kitagrl Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 6:39pm
post #18 of 32

They have VERY cool colors of pixie/mystical dust here http://www.europeancakegallery.us/pixiedust.html that would look way cool on an emerald city... I bought some clear and gold and silver from them and it looks just like real glitter!

HeatherDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherDawn Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 7:04pm
post #19 of 32

If you make the city square and then you can use your pretzel sticks in front in various heights,.... you can cover them by taking the tip off your bag and sticking the bag on the pretzel stick. ( the pretzels would already be on the cade) then just pull up on the bag while squeezing at the same time and when you get to the end and pull up you'll also have a point. If I confused you I'm sorry.

ncbert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncbert Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 7:13pm
post #20 of 32

great ideas!!!!!!!

projectqueen Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 7:31pm
post #21 of 32

Great ideas is right!!!

One other question.... icon_redface.gif Um, how would I actually dip a pretzel rod into melted chocolate? The pretzels are so long and the pot is so short icon_redface.gificon_confused.gif

Would I just pour chocolate over the pretzel?

Could someone who has made chocolate covered pretzels please help?

Kitagrl, I LOVE those pixie dusts! I have never seen them before and they have Emerald Green!!! Was it expensive to ship them?

Melody25 Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 7:38pm
post #22 of 32

I make chocolate covered pretzels every year at christmas time. What I do is this...I have one of those extra tall coffee cups, the ceramic ones. I fill it up as much as I can with chocolate dip it it in an twirl. Lift it up let the extra drip off then lay it flat. But since you dont want the flat side you can do what I said wrap the pretzel first then use the wire to twirl then let some of the extra drip off then stick it in the foam. If your worried about the chocolate getting cold use one of those candle warmers, just set your coffee mug right on top of it. Just make sure you stir your chocolate to keep the temp even.

projectqueen Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 8:36pm
post #23 of 32

Thank you! thumbs_up.gif

Dustbunny Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 8:53pm
post #24 of 32

I can't wait to see this cake!! My kids were just in the Wizard of Oz play icon_smile.gif

Shirley-WOW you are so talented, I just love your work thumbs_up.gif

projectqueen Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 2:16am
post #25 of 32

For all of you who helped me with suggestions on how to make this cake, I thought I would share the finished product. I ended up using the pretzel rods and it worked out just fine. Here it is:
LL

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 2:25am
post #26 of 32

WOW!

that's impressive!

YDG! RG!

projectqueen Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 2:37am
post #27 of 32

Thank you! It was a challenge!

HeatherDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherDawn Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 10:11am
post #28 of 32

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!

Dustbunny Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 10:45am
post #29 of 32

Wow it turned out so good! Who would've thought pretzels could be so pretty. Awesome job thumbs_up.gif

Melody25 Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 8:41pm
post #30 of 32

It looks AMAZING! Great job!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%