What Is Chocolate Clay????

Sugar Work By Beezaly Updated 6 Jun 2007 , 2:02pm by JenWith

Beezaly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beezaly Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 1:35pm
post #1 of 21

and how do you use it?? How do you make make it or where can I buy it from????

I've seen things done and I would love to try it....Thanks for all your help!

-Ashley

20 replies
Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 2:42pm
post #2 of 21

There are probably different recipes. I have used one from the Wilton book that uses candy melts and corn syrup - so simple to make! I think it uses a bag of candy melts and 1/3 c of corn syrup. You melt the candy first then add the corn syrup. You mix them and they make a kind of dough. It has to sit for a while to set up, then you knead it and use it like clay!! Give it plenty of time to harden or everything will "wilt" It doesn't harden completely, but it will hold up allright depending on what you're doing.

I'd like to try some different recipes if anyone posts some, maybe some that will harden better?

Beezaly Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 3:05pm
post #3 of 21

Thanks!

Anyone Else?!?!?!?!

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 5:59pm
post #4 of 21

There are many discussion threads about candy clay. The standard recipe (there is one in the recipe section) is 14 ounces of chocolate or candy melts and 1/3 cup clear corn syrup.

It is important to NOT overheat the chocolate. Once it is melted, stir in the corn syrup, just until it is blended, then pour the mixure out to cool. You can put it on parchment, waxed paper or Silpat. Leave it to set for a couple of hours, or overnight. Then, clay will have to be kneaded to warm it slightly and make it pliable.

It can be used to cover cakes or cookies, or modeled into sculpture. It can last a long time, unless it gets too hot.

Beezaly Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 6:25pm
post #5 of 21

Thanks so much!!! I am wanting to make a cherry tree with it and wasn;t sure how to go about doing it???

ladysonja Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladysonja Posted 1 May 2007 , 8:49pm
post #6 of 21

Beezaly - I just purchased my first bag of candy melts today. I am so glad that you posted this question.

I wasn't sure if there was a difference. Thanks for the recipe... I have to stop and purchase the syrup, but cannot wait to give it a go! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

beemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beemarie Posted 12 May 2007 , 4:18am
post #7 of 21

I just used chocolate clay on two of my cakes (you can see them posted). It was fun to work with, and much tastier than fondant (my kids love to eat them!). It took some getting used to, but I look forward to trying it again. I even colored the white chocolate with food coloring. Have fun!

jackie20201 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackie20201 Posted 12 May 2007 , 7:41pm
post #8 of 21

When I went to school for decorating. We made this we used white chocolate and corn syrup. Teacher said we had to let it sit for a week wrapped really tightly with saran wrap or some type of food wrap. It is really good I made chocolate roses with it and the came out really nice. I really like using it. The only down side is it can get to warmed if the chocate is handled to much. Hope this helps unfortunely I did not get the recipe for it icon_sad.gif. Also I forgot to mention that my teacher told me that you need a good quality chocolate. I know trader joes sells some and so does henry's market. You can also use tootsie rolls they are made the same way you can pop them in the microwave and heat them in 30 second intervals until melted for a large batch then let cool and wrap. for small trasks you can roll out some with a rolling pin. HOpe this helps!!

aoliveira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aoliveira Posted 23 May 2007 , 8:59pm
post #9 of 21

Beemarie,

I looked in your photos but didn't see the ones covered in chocolate clay. Which ones are they. I want to see what it looks like because I'm planning on covering a cake in it instead of fondant for my husband.

Thanks,
Alex

beemarie Posted 23 May 2007 , 10:19pm
post #10 of 21

I didn't cover the cakes in chocolate clay, I made the flowers out of the clay. The chocolate cake with the pink and orange flowers, and also the two-tiered pink cake with chocolate piping on the border has flowers made from chocolate clay. Hope this helps! It was very fun to work with and I look forward to doing more--I need the practice!

beemarie Posted 23 May 2007 , 10:21pm
post #11 of 21

By the way, I have read on these forums that there are people who do cover their cakes with Chocolate clay, so I know it can be done. Hopefully somebody will respond who has done it so you can see their work and maybe get some advice, too.

Eggshells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eggshells Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 9:01pm
post #12 of 21

you can also mix your white chocolate clay with fondant to make better tasting fondant. and as long as you leave your chocolate wrapped about 24 hours you can use it...you just have to knead it back to soft.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 9:13pm
post #13 of 21

Since we're on the subject, may I just ask: I make the chocolate clay using the Wilton recipe (14 oz candy melts, 1/3 C corn syrup), and I render some of the oil out of it by pouring it out on newsprint and letting it set then wrapping it for 24 hours and kneading it, but what I'm finding is that even doing that when I work with it my hands get very sticky and gooey from it. Is this the norm or is it just me?

mdutcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdutcher Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 9:33pm
post #14 of 21

The first time I made choc clay I used semi sweet choc chips. I made a spooky tree for my halloween cake and I used those little plastic gloves so that my hands didn't get sticky on it. If it starts to get sticky, I've heard you are supposed to stick it in the fridge for a few minutes. I have my 2nd batch right now setting up on my counter. I'm gonna try to make a my little pony with it. I used white almond bark this time.
by the way, I used the recipe on this site that calls for 10 oz. choc to 1/3 c. syrup. I wonder if mine will be too soft. It worked with the ss choc, so we'll see.

ribbitfroggie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ribbitfroggie Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 9:34pm
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Since we're on the subject, may I just ask: I make the chocolate clay using the Wilton recipe (14 oz candy melts, 1/3 C corn syrup), and I render some of the oil out of it by pouring it out on newsprint and letting it set then wrapping it for 24 hours and kneading it, but what I'm finding is that even doing that when I work with it my hands get very sticky and gooey from it. Is this the norm or is it just me?

I noticed that the candy melts seem to be much oilier than using regular chocolate and seems to get gooey quicker. I'm not sure why...even the almond bark stuff you can buy from the grocery store seems to work better than the candy melts when it comes to making chocolate clay.

aoliveira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aoliveira Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 11:53pm
post #16 of 21

Can I use Light Corn Syrup?? That's what I have in the cupboard and don't want to run out and buy more if I can use it.

How long in advance do you make your chocolate clay?

Alex

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 3:14am
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by aoliveira

Can I use Light Corn Syrup?? That's what I have in the cupboard and don't want to run out and buy more if I can use it.

How long in advance do you make your chocolate clay?

Alex

That's what I use to make mine. Chocolate clay handles better if allowed to rest overnight, so I make mine the night before I need to use it.

mdutcher Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 3:36am
post #18 of 21

OK. Mine has been sitting out since 1:30 today and it's now 10:30 and it's still way too soft to work with and oily. I used the recipe on here that calls for 10 oz of choc (I used white almond bark) and 1/3 c. corn syrup. I'll wrap it up and hope it's workable tomorrow. Otherwise, I guess I'll just have to eat it. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif no seriously, isn't that what you're supposed to do with your mistakes? icon_redface.gifshhh.gif

JenWith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWith Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 3:11pm
post #19 of 21

Can chocolate clay be refrigerated or frozen? I'm thinking ahead of cookies that I want to make and test this on but I need to do things in shifts due to my 21 month old at home. Very curious as to how this works and tastes...

thanks!

mdutcher Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 9:15pm
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenWith

Can chocolate clay be refrigerated or frozen? I'm thinking ahead of cookies that I want to make and test this on but I need to do things in shifts due to my 21 month old at home. Very curious as to how this works and tastes...

thanks!

Choc clay doesn't require refridgeration. It'll last a long time wrapped tight and in an airtight container. Besides, I'm not sure if the choc would get those spots or streaks (caused by chocolate getting too cold). I'd just keep it in the cabinets.

JenWith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWith Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 2:02pm
post #21 of 21

Thanks for the information!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%