How Persistent Should I Be?

Business By Kitagrl Updated 2 Apr 2007 , 6:55pm by snarkybaker

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 2:36am
post #1 of 16

Okay a lady ordered a 70 serving gift cake from me last month (its in my photos, three gifts for a bridal shower). She had sent me the photo I was to copy and IMO I copied it exactly, except the color which I copied exactly from a sample she sent me. I can't imagine one problem there could have been with the cakes.

The lady also had told me she wants a groom's cake in May and already started talking themes but we hadn't nailed anything down yet.

However since the gift cake I have not heard from her. Last week I emailed her making sure her bridal shower cake was as expected, and asked if she had decided for sure what she wanted for the groom's cake, and she never replied.

How hard should I work to get ahold of her...or do I just let it go until or if she decides to call me back?

15 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 2:53am
post #2 of 16

Dont' be a pest. It's a turnoff to a lot of people and it's why people are hesitant to give a name/phone or email when making inquiries. They fear being pestered afterward (ever gone to a real estate open house and left a fake name and number on the sign-in sheet? We have, just for this reason!)

You've sent a follow-up email inquiring about the May cake. If she's interested, she'll contact you. If she waits too long, then it's her fault that you're already booked and/or don't have sufficient lead time to get the cake done.

Kitagrl Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 2:56am
post #3 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Dont' be a pest. It's a turnoff to a lot of people and it's why people are hesitant to give a name/phone or email when making inquiries. They fear being pestered afterward (ever gone to a real estate open house and left a fake name and number on the sign-in sheet? We have, just for this reason!)

You've sent a follow-up email inquiring about the May cake. If she's interested, she'll contact you. If she waits too long, then it's her fault that you're already booked and/or don't have sufficient lead time to get the cake done.

Okay, that's what I thought.... I get a little paranoid when someone is so quiet after they get a cake from me, but I realize that some people are just too busy to comment on the cake....or maybe don't realize that the baker cares. So I was just afraid something happened to make her not want to order again...but oh well, we'll see if she writes back.

Thanks!

ruralepicure Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruralepicure Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 3:12am
post #4 of 16

Hey indydebi, I like the comment on the real estate open houses! My full time job is a real estate agent but I know that people do that all the time, I actually do it myself in those situations icon_smile.gif

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 3:22am
post #5 of 16

I know where you're coming from. I did an XBOX cake for a girl who seemed to really LOVE the way it looked...even paid double what I asked! At this time, she told me she wanted me to do her daughter's birthday cake (Dora) a couple of months later. I didn't hear anything about how she liked the XBOX cake (until I ran into her DH, who said it was delicious!)

A couple of weeks before she wanted the Dora cake, I run into her in the grocery store. We chit chat for a bit and part ways. Nothing is said about the Dora cake! I'm thinking...Yikes, she didn't REALLY like the XBOX cake.

Then...five days before she wanted the cake, she calls me up and asks if we're still on for the Dora cake that she needs the following weekend. Some people must think we just pull these cakes out of thin air or something!

I hope you hear from her soon. Your cakes are all really lovely, especially the gift cakes. icon_smile.gif

giggysmack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giggysmack Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 3:37am
post #6 of 16

I have found this to be a problem for me as well I am waiting to hear how they liked the cake and I assume there was something wrong if they dont comment. And people sure do like to order cakes at the last minute. I had one client say to me after she asked for a cake for the next day "Oh I guess I'm just used to a small town shop whre they only do a few cakes a day"

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 3:54am
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruralepicure

Hey indydebi, I like the comment on the real estate open houses! My full time job is a real estate agent but I know that people do that all the time, I actually do it myself in those situations icon_smile.gif

Yikes! I'm busted! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif We're weren't always that way until we ran into a young "gung-ho" guy who wouldn't lose our name and number! Just couldn't convince this young man that we were just "window shopping"!

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 4:16am
post #8 of 16

Real estate was a real good example. I was going to purchase a restaurant $600,000 and the realtor called me several times a day to ask if I applied for the loan, and then after I applied, several times a day to see if I had an answer. After about a week, I called off the sale because of the constant phone calls. She was making me crazy to the point that I didn't want her to even have any commission on it. Yes, that sounds mean but gee whiz.......things take time.

Be patient on the cake order, I feel like it will work out. Most people (and I include myself) seem to put off ordering cakes until they are sure of plans or design. Good luck on the order.

VACakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VACakelady Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 5:12am
post #9 of 16

Some of my customers give me a call or email to say how they liked the cake, but it's not often. Sure, I'd like to know about some of the wedding cakes and such but I don't hear anything. My thought is.... not many people go back to the grocery store and tell the decorators that the cake was a hit, so why would they do the same for me?

I also get many customers who email me and say they need a cake for xx date and just a heads up about xx, and xx, and xx dates coming up. I don't take those to heart unless they contact me again to do those additonal cakes. I don't have the time or desire to chase down customers, I have enough work with a full time job and all the cakes. If they want me to do it, they will contact me.

Kitagrl Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 12:23pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by VACakelady

Some of my customers give me a call or email to say how they liked the cake, but it's not often. Sure, I'd like to know about some of the wedding cakes and such but I don't hear anything. My thought is.... not many people go back to the grocery store and tell the decorators that the cake was a hit, so why would they do the same for me?

I also get many customers who email me and say they need a cake for xx date and just a heads up about xx, and xx, and xx dates coming up. I don't take those to heart unless they contact me again to do those additonal cakes. I don't have the time or desire to chase down customers, I have enough work with a full time job and all the cakes. If they want me to do it, they will contact me.

Yeah usually, I guess, brides are so busy on their honeymoon and making their new life they don't have time or the will to thank the baker... I probably wouldn't have either except that I had a friend do it for me, long before I did cakes myself.

I do send a little "nudge" email to people who say they want a cake on a certain date....if they were serious enough for me to put their name on my schedule then I email them to ask more details...but then of course if I hear nothing I take them back off the schedule. So far most people reply back like "Oh yeah here you go" and I'm glad I prodded them so its not last minute.

I do have to call a lady today who pretty much ordered her cake but then for some reason did not send a deposit. After having a no show a couple years ago I won't do a cake without a deposit unless its a small cake for a regular customer who I trust.

albumangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albumangel Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 3:52pm
post #11 of 16

That's good to hear, Kitagrl. I was just going to ask whether you save dates for people when you don't hear back. That would drive me crazy.

While I wouldn't want to be pushy, I think it's good customer service to remind people that you need a deposit or another form of committment to save that date for them. I know I really appreciate when my doctor's office leaves a reminder message about an upcoming appointment, or as a friend told me, when the guy who does her lawn calls her in the spring to ask if/when she'd like him to start. We do get busy and have the best of intentions most of the time, so a reminder is great with most people, especially if they have specifically requested your services.

cre8tive Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cre8tive Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 4:43pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Last week I emailed her making sure her bridal shower cake was as expected, and asked if she had decided for sure what she wanted for the groom's cake, and she never replied.

Hi Kitagrl, I'm been in a similar situation. But, I'm only able to schedule a couple of cakes a week and can use this point to my advantage.

You could email her in another week and mention that someone else is showing interest in that date and since she had mentioned the cake first, you're giving her first dibs on your time. Ask her to confirm or if she doesn't need the cake then you can open up your schedule for the new order.

You'll be fibbing (which is always a last resort), but you won't be stuck with a last minute order.

Kitagrl Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 4:47pm
post #13 of 16

On the subject...what if a lady orders a cake and does everything but sends a deposit...and then I can't get ahold of her....how long do I let it go before I cancel the order?

I have one like this and I left a msg on her cell today and hoping I hear back soon.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 5:02pm
post #14 of 16

I agree that too many calls are a PITA but I also think that if she is planning on you doing it but not telling you, there is the chance she will expect it and several days before the event call to verify and then it will be a conondrum....

I would call (hopefully getting an answering machine) or email again saying " Hi this is so and so.... I am wondering if you want me to do the groom's cake for such-and-such weekend. I have several other orders and need to make sure I am not overscheduling myself. If you do still want me to do the cake, please give me a call within the next few days so I can schedule it or I will assume that you have changed your mind. Take care - "

I don't know...something letting her know that if she want you to do it, she needs to let you know. After sending/LM the message, I would make no further attempts at contact and assume she doesn't need you. I guess I would just rather be safe then sorry and risk having her call on Wednesday confirming the cake for saturday icon_surprised.gif

albumangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albumangel Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 5:10pm
post #15 of 16

From experience in my other business, here's what I would do:

1. Set a policy that if you do not have confirmation/deposit at least 2 weeks in advance (or more, especially for bigger cakes), you cannot guarantee availability.

2. When you really need a reply, CALL- don't e-mail. I know it seems pushier/less comfortable, but people will more likely respond to a phone call. Not sure why- but the personal touch has something to do with it.

3. If you get a machine, make sure in your message you tell her that if you don't hear back from her in a certain amount of time, you will not hold that date for her.

Of, course, do all of this in a very friendly, cheery voice and letting her know what's in it for HER- the customer. Like "I want to make sure my customers are getting the very best, and to do that I need advance confirmation..."

icon_smile.gif

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 6:55pm
post #16 of 16

For May it's easy to do..it's such a crazy-busy time of year. Call her and let her know that May is one of your busiest months of the year ( wedding graduation etc.) and that you still have a few spots left, but want to make sure you get a design contract and a deposit before you're sold out for May.

For freelance work, I always like to sell " time slots" or reservations, not just product. It helps me manage m schedule and gives me another way to get people to commit early to a project.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%