Buttercream Mixture Process Is Messy!

Decorating By ksgirl Updated 31 Mar 2006 , 2:57am by ksgirl

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 5:11am
post #31 of 34

When I make my buttercream I cream the crisco, then add to it my flavors and water. After that mixes for a minute I turn off the mixer and add all of the powder sugar. I turn it back on low, and like other's said you can cover it with a towel. I watch it to see if I need to add more water or not. I usually don't measure my water any more at home unless I am doing roses.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 5:43pm
post #32 of 34

For icing, I only sift baking cocoa. For baking, I sift if the recipe calls for it.

Sifting is super easy if you have a nice big mesh strainer. No stupid squeezy things! Whoever invented that should be shot. LOL

A damp towel thrown over the mixer catches all the airborne powdered sugar. No sugar messes in my kitchen! icon_smile.gif

AuntAndrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntAndrea Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 6:58pm
post #33 of 34

I can't believe I never thought of using a damp cloth!! That's brilliant!! And so simple!! I love this site! icon_biggrin.gif

I never sift the sugar for icing -- it never even occured to me that I might need to. icon_eek.gif Guess I've just been lucky with the quality of the sugar so far -- no lumps! I've pretty much got the mixing down enough so that there isn't too much of a blizzard. I always use the KA shield, although I did find it necessary to add a small piece of that sticky saran wrap stuff on the back part to cover the little opening... I can't figure out why that opening is even there!

I'm gonna try that damp cloth tonight... Thanks for the idea!! icon_smile.gif

...Andrea

ksgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ksgirl Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 2:57am
post #34 of 34

Wow! Thanks everyone- this makes me feel sooo much better. I really honestly thought that I was the only person who ended up with more sugar on my counter than in my mixer. icon_lol.gif

These tips will help a lot. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%