Recipe Closest To A Whipped Cream Icing Like Bakery Cakes?

Baking By countrycakes Updated 23 Mar 2006 , 2:30am by countrycakes

countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 22 Mar 2006 , 7:56pm
post #1 of 11

icon_surprised.gif Okay, here I go again.....I now have a friend who wants a sleepover cake for her dd........and she tells me today that she wants icing like Cool Whip? on the cake? I am clueless...I can not decorate it with Cool Whip? What kind of icing could this possibly be?

She has always purchased cakes from WM, grocery store, etc......this is a first for her from ME and I want to get it as good as I can.....help! And thanks for any advice....... icon_cry.gificon_eek.gificon_confused.gif

BTW, this is for a POOL party this FRIDAY! It's an indoor pool.and the cake will be there for the party.

10 replies
chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 22 Mar 2006 , 8:01pm
post #2 of 11

well the frosting that wallymart uses is "Riches Bettercream" frosting. I think you can possibly get it from sam's either in the 5 gallon bucket or the blue can you can whip up at home.
As for recipes coming close to bettercream let's see here..... http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-829-Creamy-Whipped-Frosting.html
and..... http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1606-Fluffly-Bakshop-Icing-Buttecream.html
Hope this helps.

countrycakes Posted 22 Mar 2006 , 8:56pm
post #3 of 11

icon_eek.gif Okay, will not have time to get to Sam's.....how do these pipe? Can I do decorations on the cake with them? I am covering the top of the cake with a 'mmf quilt' and will this hold it on? Wondering....and thanks again. icon_smile.gif

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 22 Mar 2006 , 9:10pm
post #4 of 11

it should be ok to pipe as for flowers i don't know if it will be stiff enough to do that. But you could always add more powdered sugar if you have too i think. shouldn't have any prob with the fondant holding either as this frosting does not crust.

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 23 Mar 2006 , 1:36am
post #5 of 11

The Baker's Buttercream from this site! Better than Cool Whip!

daranaco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daranaco Posted 23 Mar 2006 , 1:41am
post #6 of 11

How do the Creamy Whipped Frosting and the Fluffy Bakehouse Icing compare to the WBH recipe? I've made the WBH and it was similar to a whipped topping (in terms of lightness and sweetness).

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 23 Mar 2006 , 1:56am
post #7 of 11

I have used similar recipes in the paste. I have warm hands, so experimenting with piping icing is never a joy. I have found that if you fill smaller pastry bags so the warmth of your hands doesn't effect the icing, and refrigerate the bags for about 15 minutes prior to use, the fats stiffen the icing enough to pipe, but you must be able to work quickly.

Rich's Bettercream, on the other hand, is wonderful for piping, and holds well in heat.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 23 Mar 2006 , 2:17am
post #8 of 11

I know that this gets asked a lot, but can either of these recipes be left out and not refrigerated? I cannot get Bettercream in my area, so that is not an option.

Thanks a bunch!

Amy

countrycakes Posted 23 Mar 2006 , 2:21am
post #9 of 11

icon_confused.gif All I know that she wants is the closest thing to a 'bakery decorated' cake....with that 'Cool whippy type icing'. icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gificon_cry.gif And she is a bit hard to suit....I love her to death..but they dont' like the sweet buttercream type icings.....go figure. icon_rolleyes.gificon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 23 Mar 2006 , 2:23am
post #10 of 11

If you want to leave it out, use the second recipe listed. There is no dairy in it, so it should keep well at room temperature.

It's texture is similar to that of Twinkie filling, and that stuff lasts forever.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

countrycakes Posted 23 Mar 2006 , 2:30am
post #11 of 11

icon_smile.gif THANK YOU all for you input.....and I have decided to use the 2nd recipe....and if she doesn't like it, she doesn't have to order another cake from me! icon_confused.gificon_biggrin.gif Nice attitude, huh? She is just a really choosy person. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%