Red Velvet Cake

Decorating By Gingoodies Updated 2 Apr 2007 , 5:25am by JoanneK

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 1:47pm
post #1 of 22

Hi.. has anyone ever "doctored" a Duncan Hines red velvet cake mix? If so what did you use, and how did it turn out. The last time I tried this is was not happy with the results. I am doing this for a wedding cake tasting. Thanks in advance for the input. thumbs_up.gif

21 replies
JavaJunkieChrissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JavaJunkieChrissy Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 2:18pm
post #2 of 22

Boy, I don't know what you would use to Dr. that one....it's hard.

Maybe extra eggs or are you looking to but pudding in it? I have never tried this and I certainly don't know if it would work I'm only trying to help you and it might sound and be silly but could you add Jell-O to it? Like I said I don't know if that would work or not and even if you can cook/bake with Jell-O.

I have never had red velvet cake but isn't there a small amount of cocoa powder in it? Maybe you could add some chocolate pudding but then you'll probably loose that red color......I don't know.

I'm sure someone will give you better suggestion then this but as least I can give you a bump! icon_razz.gif

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 2:33pm
post #3 of 22

http://www.wrenscottage.com/kitchen/recipes/cake/redvelvetcake.php

I haven't tried this one...but have been meaning to.
thumbs_up.gif

Confectionary2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Confectionary2 Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 2:33pm
post #4 of 22

Red Velvet----Chocolate cake with Red food color (the whole bottle). I am going to try this one (but I use cream cheese frosting with nuts):
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2259-Sarahs-Red-Velvet-Cake---a-tradition-of-excellence.html

Wendoger Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 2:44pm
post #5 of 22

Heres one made from a box white cake mix....
http://southernfood.about.com/od/yellowandwhitecakes/r/blbb610.htm

angelak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelak Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 2:57pm
post #6 of 22

I used the DH Red Velvet Cake Mix and the extender recipe from CC. This was the 5th recipe I tried and by far the best. I don't normally like RV cake, but I have to admit I actually liked this one.

Wendoger Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 4:38pm
post #7 of 22

Oh! Good to know!!! Thanks!!!
thumbs_up.gif

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 4:58pm
post #8 of 22

..I always add an additonal egg and one small boxof chocolate pudding to a Red Velvet cake mix. Everyone seemed to love it...I didn't taste it though, since I don't like chocolate cake icon_sad.gif

darlene_000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darlene_000 Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 6:29pm
post #9 of 22

I just made red velvet today for the first time...

I did DH box mix, an extra egg, milk in place of water, oil as on the box, a box of chocolate pudding & 2 heaped TBS of sour cream. It turned out very moist & delicious.

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 6:37pm
post #10 of 22

I did last weekend, and it was excellent. I added a 1/2 TB of almond extract, and 1/2 cup of cocoa. I substituted a stick of butter for the oil, and milk for the water. It had a really nice flavor. I tried it plain from the box, and thought it was tasteless. Hope it works out for you!

spoiledtoodef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spoiledtoodef Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 6:41pm
post #11 of 22

I make the RV using DH and it turns out great. Never any compliants...The only thing I change or add is....in place of water use buttermilk and add 2 T. of cocoa powder for more of a chocolate flavor. Then I icing the cake with a 1/2 butter and 1/2 cream cheese icing that crust really well. Then I ask the customer if they would like nuts or not....hope this helps...

Kim

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 8:02pm
post #12 of 22

I use the DH red velvet mix with buttermilk instead of water, and extra egg, 1 box of instant white chocolate pudding, and 2 TBSP of Hershey's cocoa powder added--it's a great texture and can be stacked.

I've mixed a can of DH Cream Cheese icing with my regular buttercream (Wilton's Extra Special Buttercream) and the result is delicious and easy to use for decorating.

Rae

sugarhill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarhill Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 11:15pm
post #13 of 22

1 Box YELLOW cake mix (butter yellow even better)
Follow directions
Add 1 box instant chocolate pudding
Red food color

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 11:24pm
post #14 of 22

DH Red Velvet cake mix
1 cup of water
4 eggs
1 packet of Dream Whip

Make sure to mix it for at least 5 minutes on the #4 setting (KA).

jwong9664 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jwong9664 Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 11:30pm
post #15 of 22

the recipe i use is from this site. it's fantastic!!! i changed it up a bit and it makes a VEEEEEEEEERY moist cake!

1 DH german choc
1 box choc pudding
4 eggs
sour cream instead of oil
buttermilk instead of water
1 bottle red food coloring
1 tsp vinegar
1 german choc. choc bar (in the green box in the baking isle)- melt and add to the mixture after its mixed and mix again.

sooooooog good! promise icon_biggrin.gif hth

Yorkiemum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yorkiemum Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 11:40pm
post #16 of 22

Okay ladies,

Go light on the Red food coloring. Just in case you didn't know......it's bug blood! Cochineal and Carmine are crushed beetle carcasses that are the source of the bug blood.
Go to www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/bugjuice.asp (you'll need to copy and paste it into your browser. It is not an urban legend. It is a fact and was recently posted again in the Washington Post news paper. Anything that has red dye in it probably has been colored with it. Even the lipstick you have on. Sorry. It changed the way I look at things that are red.

Happy baking with less red.
yorkiemum icon_eek.gif

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 4:39am
post #17 of 22

OMG ... that is absolutely disgusting!!!!!!!! icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_eek.giftapedshut.gifthumbsdown.gif

cassandrascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassandrascakes Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 4:55am
post #18 of 22

Well, this is no different than what I just learned in my human nutrition class. Foods are allowed to have what is called "unintentional additives". These "unitentionals" consist of bug parts, rat feces, etc. Some of the main foods listed that could contain all of these things were flour and sugar and chocolate. Now show me a good cake that doesn't contain flour or sugar!!

I was grossed out, but I came to the realization that we never really know what we are eating unless we grow and harvest it ourselves. I guess we should just pray and ask God to bless it, and then eat it, lol.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 4:56am
post #19 of 22

Well, given that Wilton and AmeriColors reds are certified Kosher, they CAN'T be made from the cochineal beetles---leaving me assume that they are made from the tar based red dyes and that is why using too much of (some) of them leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Can't really win this one, can we????

Rae

BaBa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BaBa Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 4:57am
post #20 of 22

Here is the recipe I use for red velvet cake. Gets rave reviews every time:
1 box German chocolate cake mix(with pudding)
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 bottle red food color
3 large eggs
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

I do not use a whole bottle of red food color. I use Americolor super red and just squirt it in until it looks red.
Just made this recently for a cake testing and they loved it.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 5:21am
post #21 of 22

Gingoodies,
This is what I did and it was wonderful. I shared it with a bunch of friends and family and got great reviews form them all. I'd never had red velvet cake before this but I'll be making another one soon. It's replaced German Choc as my sil's favorite. That's saying something!

1 Duncan Hines Red Velvet mix - sifted
1 small box white choc instant pudding - I sift with cake mix
buttermilk in place of the water
1 additional egg - so I think that makes 4
2 Tablespoons cocoa powder

Mix and bake according to mix instructions.
Crumb coat then refrigerate for 20-30 minutes before icing.

I iced mine with cream cheese bc then refrigerated in a cake carrier.
It yeilded a tall, dense and moist cake 8" cake.
Delicious!!

OH!! I have to thank Blakescakes AGAIN for this recipe!!!!!

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 5:25am
post #22 of 22

Oh great! icon_surprised.gif Now I can't eat anything red. How sick! I never knew that and think I was better off not knowing that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%