My Buttercream Tips

Decorating By sugarshack Updated 16 Mar 2014 , 2:50pm by loviescakes

hamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hamie Posted 23 Mar 2006 , 11:43pm
post #31 of 575

I tried your recipie last night. I had some trouble and was hoping someone could help me out.

I have a 4.5 KA, but it would not fit! I had to take it out and divide it into 2 batches to mix it up.

Any ideas what I might have done wrong?

I tried your paper technique, it worked wonderfully! I am very amazed.

babynewyear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babynewyear Posted 23 Mar 2006 , 11:44pm
post #32 of 575

Heres the title of the post "How do I make this border" toward the end posted by Sugar Shack. Sorry I didnt include it in my post icon_redface.gif

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 12:51am
post #33 of 575

poppie, I live in Mandeville!!! LOL

the lady is B&B cakes in Hammond.... you want the wedding bouquet

hamie.... is yours the artisan? that's what mine is and I think its 4.5, or is it 5 quart? anyway, if you have the Artisan it will fit, but it looks like it won't. I use a large kitchen towel over the bowl wrapped tightly around the sides to keep the sugar from blowing out while incorportaing it. I add it in increments. After it is all incorporated, it won't puff out anymore and then you can let it go at speed 6. It will be up to the springs of your paddle; it's FULL.... but I swear it makes a smooth icing. I can't say how it will work in any other mixer, but in the KA artisan it will work. I am sorry you had problems....

hamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hamie Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 3:17am
post #34 of 575

Thanks sugarshack, I love the icing, I have been wanting to move up to a larger, newer mixer, this just might be my excuse.

sugarshack Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 3:50am
post #35 of 575

Ok hammie i checked and the artisan is 5 quart... my bad..... sorry..... it will be very full and a bit messy but it will work in that one.... icon_redface.gif

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 6:28am
post #36 of 575

thanks I made bc today with a new recipe I got but it had powder skim milk and a little white marg in it was really good and fluffy like whip but had small air bubbles and hard to smoothen wondered if it was the crisco I have been wanting to switch to Hi ratio now I will.

My name is Sharon too

Darra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darra Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 7:11am
post #37 of 575

welcome sugarshack!

i just went to see your site and your work is amazing! thank you for sharing some of your techniques icon_smile.gif

i can't decide which of your wonderful cakes are my favorite (i bookmarked your site!) and your rainbow cookies are especially beautiful. did you make them with toba garrett's glace icing?

thank you for your time and welcome to CC! icon_biggrin.gif

sugarshack Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 1:14pm
post #38 of 575

Thank you!!! yes, toba's glace!

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 1:22pm
post #39 of 575
Quote:
Quote:

Ok hammie i checked and the artisan is 5 quart... my bad..... sorry..... it will be very full and a bit messy but it will work in that one.... Embarassed

I'm so glad you posted this! I made it in my 4.5 quart, and had a HUGE mess! I think with improved methods, the mess can be improved upon, but the first time it was really unmanageable. But it sure was smooooth!

Yesterday I got a Professional 600. I'm thinking I need to up the quantity to at LEAST six pounds of sugar in that puppy. Maybe more?

mobebosu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mobebosu Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 1:43pm
post #40 of 575

sorry, this may be ignorant, but can Crisco be used?

Karenelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karenelli Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 2:34pm
post #41 of 575

Sugarshack, you are a true master of the art. I really am in awe of the talent that you have. Just starting out, I feel that I will never learn enough to be happy with what I create. Can you give me a little instruction on the way you are able to adhere the fondant swags and ribbons to your cakes. I realize some cakes are covered with BC and some fondant. Do you use melted chocolate, or clear vanilla or piping gel. The sways must be quite heavy, yet they seem to be very well seated on the cake sides that you create. Is there a secret glue? Any suggestions are very gratefully received.

Again, your work is exquisite.

cakebybek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebybek Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 3:12pm
post #42 of 575

Hi everyone I made the icing last night what a huge mess I have a KA I believe the 4.5 quart and powdersugar fell out of the sides all over the counter, so I'm thinking I need to half my recipie.
BUT I loved (and Thank You Sugarshack) how smooth and no air bubbles it was, but can someone help in how much flavoring to put in?
I put in 3 teaspoons of vanilla 2 of almond and 1 butter and it tasted just like sweetex!!!!!!!!!!!

So any help on flavoring would be great......

sugarshack Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 7:27pm
post #43 of 575

crimsicle, it will be a mess too in the 5 quart too if you dont use the towel method i described.... just and FYI.... maybe ya'll can try it with just a 4 pound batch for the 4 .5 quart mixers.... that might be just right.... if your new mixer is a 6 quart... you MAY have to go even more than 6 pounds... i tried in a 6 quart twice and got air.

as far as flavoring, i use 4 TBS of the flavoring mix i get; but it is not straight extracts; it has a creamy base, and i dont know what it is made of.... so im not sure how to equate that with extracts... sorry.

karnelli, i use all of the above in different situations..... not much help huh? if you send me the link to the exact cakes you inquire about, i can try to remember what i used for each.

mobebosu.. sure you can use crisco ... i dont like its performance or mouth feel personally, after using hi ratio, but it will work .

ConnieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieB Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 7:43pm
post #44 of 575

Thanks for all the tips Sugar Shack! That Computer paper one sounds very interesting, I can't wait to try it out. Your cakes are so gorgous and extremely smooth.

Welcome to CC, look forward to the furture tips that you have for us....lol!!! usaribbon.gif

Thanks
Connie

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 8:08pm
post #45 of 575

Sugar Shack,

Welcome to our addiction icon_cry.gif .

Your cakes are awesome...I'm green with envy icon_lol.gif

Thank you so much for the tips and will keep my eyes open for more...so keep'em coming icon_wink.gif

Once again, welcome.

poppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poppie Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 11:17pm
post #46 of 575

Thank you sugarshack I know B&B I have been in the once i will give a call does she have Hi-pro

cakesondemand Posted 25 Mar 2006 , 5:54am
post #47 of 575

Just bought sweetx today much better than crisco not so greasy and less sweet

swoboda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swoboda Posted 25 Mar 2006 , 7:17pm
post #48 of 575

Ok, maybe I'm having a blonde moment but how much of your coffee creamer mixture do you add Sugarshack? I've read the post 5 times & just can't see an amount anywhere other than 1c. powder to 1 c. water... icon_redface.gif

Cakes on Demand - I see you live in Canada too - I've never seen Sweetx before - only Crisco & Tenderflake.... where did you find it?

sugarshack Posted 25 Mar 2006 , 7:19pm
post #49 of 575

idid not specify an amount; you just add the amount of liquid you need to get the consistency you like. i use about 21 TBS

swoboda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swoboda Posted 25 Mar 2006 , 7:23pm
post #50 of 575

Wow! That was a fast reply!!
Ok - that makes sense... like I said - I was having a blonde moment!
Also, can you freeze any leftover icing & reuse it later like you can regular BC?

sugarshack Posted 25 Mar 2006 , 7:24pm
post #51 of 575

YEP!

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 25 Mar 2006 , 7:25pm
post #52 of 575

Boy! glad I read this, you are talking about the liquid creamer like Mocha Mix ( here in the states) Can you use the flavored too? I was just going to add powder with the liquid the recipe calls for. Must be Having a senior moment! Thanks

CakemanOH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakemanOH Posted 25 Mar 2006 , 8:07pm
post #53 of 575

Sugar shack....why do you use so much sweetex??? Hi Ratio does not break down so you should use less. I use Alpine and use 1 cup per 2 pounds of powder sugar and get great crusting and tasting icing. If I used 5 pounds of PS that would be 2 and 1/2 cups alpine. Just wanted to pick you brain.

cakesondemand Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 4:24am
post #54 of 575

swoboda I get sweetx at a place called H.Y. Louie
its something like a small warehouse that deals with wholesalers I can order all my baking needs from them and they bring it in for me instead of me having to go to Vancouver to the wholesalers . I purchase from them because its cheaper. If you buy directly from a wholesaler you have to spend at least $200. everytime you order something.

Sweetx is in 20kg box. ( 40lbs)

sugarshack Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 5:07am
post #55 of 575

fearlessbaker: i do not know what mocha mix is; i just use regualr powdered coffee creamer.

ceculsk: all I can say is that through trial and error this is the recipe i get the best results with, as far as smoothing and lack of cracks etc.... i dont know if it is my climate or what.....

CakemanOH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakemanOH Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 1:00pm
post #56 of 575

Thanks Sugarshack. Just wondered. I could see using more hi ratio would cut the sweetness of the icing. It would not crust as fast either allowing more time for smoothing.

ConnieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieB Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 2:30pm
post #57 of 575

fearlessbaker: I thought it was suppose to be powder too....ha! ha! Guess we need to catch up!!!! ha ha!!!! usaribbon.gif

Connie

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 4:51pm
post #58 of 575

This does sound interesting! How long does it take to crust before smoothing?

Also, I hate crisco based buttercreams...its not so much the flavor, but the texture in your mouth. Can you add salt to this recipe to help get rid of that slimy feeling?

Will this also work with Alpine? I hear it is more stable then Sweetex...

Thanks for posting this! I seem to keep getting brides that don't like Fondant (wilton has just given it a bad name or something...I don't think home made fondant is THAT bad, do you!?) and I have to keep making these buttercream wedding cakes. So am always looking for new ways!

your cakes are amazing, btw!!!

sugarshack Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 8:07pm
post #59 of 575

tee hee hee I am confused now too!

here is what i do: take the powdered coffee creamer like coffee mate; mix it one cup to one cup of HOT water. mix well and keep in fridge; then i use that as the liquid for my icing.

i think alpine will work just as well; I am very pleased with the sweetex, I do not add salt and i do not find it slimy or greasy in the mouth like criso.

it crusts just as quickly as any regular Bc;; a few minutes

i use satin ice fondant; it tastes pretty good.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 28 Mar 2006 , 12:25pm
post #60 of 575

Thanks again..will give it a try this weekend! I am still curious about the taste....is a lighter taste or a sweeter taste then real buttercream?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%