Vinyl For Fondant?

Decorating By KarenOR Updated 2 Apr 2007 , 8:57pm by Lalana

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 12:03am
post #1 of 71

I posted this question in a thread and now I can't find it. LOL.

So, what's the deal with the vinyl? Is it better than using a huge silpat?
Where do you get it?

70 replies
NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 1:10am
post #2 of 71

I don't do much with fondant. I don't get many request for it and I use to get soooo aggrivated rolling it out only to have it stick to the table, plastic mat, whatever I was using. A friend bought me a piece of vinyl and made a believer out of me!!! I can't wait for the next time someone ask about fondant. I might have to do a dummy cake just to get it out of my system!

wysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wysmommy Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 1:51am
post #3 of 71

OOH Good idea! I'm off to the craft store tomorrow!

NEWTODECORATING Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 1:58am
post #4 of 71

I forgot....Walmart and Jo anns sell it on large bolts

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 2:34am
post #5 of 71

do they sell smooth vinyl on bolts? i've only seen leather texture... is it fabric backed???? like the flannel stuff?

cakesbykitty Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 2:35am
post #6 of 71

and do you use crisco or corn starch on it and how do you wash it? you have me intrigued. icon_lol.gif

NEWTODECORATING Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 2:35am
post #7 of 71

no it is smooth clear vinyl and pretty heavy weight too

NEWTODECORATING Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 2:37am
post #8 of 71

I have only used it with Crisco, and I wash it by laying it out flat on my kitchen table and washing it with warm soapy water on a clean dish cloth and then rinsing well. I let it dry well and roll it up like a roll of wrapping paper

cakesbykitty Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 2:39am
post #9 of 71

so sort of like wiltons fondant mat... only softer maybe? how big did you get yours????

NEWTODECORATING Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 2:44am
post #10 of 71

no there is a definate difference between the vinyl and the Wilton mat. I could not get fondant to roll out on that and peel off to save my life. The vinyl is much easier to get the fondant off of. My piece is 2 foot wide and 3 foot long. I have 2 of them and roll out the fondant between the 2 of them. It comes on a bolt that is about 4 foot wide and you can pick the length.

cakesbykitty Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 2:46am
post #11 of 71

ewwwwww! kitty is going to Wally's tomorrow!

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 2:48am
post #12 of 71

I use the vinyl for forndant. It is the vinyl that is a table cloth bought at material stores.

You do not have to use crisco or powdersugar when you roll out fondant.

I roll my fondant out half way I flip it - now the bottom will be the top of cake, nice and smooth.

Keep rolling out to the size I need, roll one end a little to hold the fondant, lift lay on cake slowly peel off vinyl and you are done. Now just smooth out.

If have to roll out a big piece of fondant and you want to flip like I did just lay another piece of fondant on top and flip.

When done with fondant lay tissue on top and roll this way the vinly does not stick and will be easy to unroll.

The baby shower cake in my photos in how I did the fondant.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 3:14am
post #13 of 71

I saw them using blue vinyl on the last cake challenge on the Food Network. Now I know what it is. icon_smile.gif

cakesbykitty Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 3:48am
post #14 of 71

i saw that too... i wondered what it was, where they got it.

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 4:02am
post #15 of 71

I took a class a few months back and the teacher used vinyl bought at the cake shop for $10 (I think it was more actually, but not sure how much). I felt it to get an idea of how thick it was, then went to my local Walmart and bought the same thing in a HUGE piece for $2.19. I have since cut it up into small and large pieces. It has made life a LOT easier and saved me a lot of money too.

The teacher in my class hates the Wilton mat because you have to crisco it first, as it has a tendency to stick. The vinyl never sticks and the benefit of it being clear is you can see your fondant and where you are putting it!

I highly recommend it.

ksimp6577 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ksimp6577 Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 4:15am
post #16 of 71

So you don't have to put ANYTHING down on the vinyl before you roll the fondant out? Just slap the fondant down on the vinyl itself and go to town? Is this the flannel-ish backed vinyl like a tablecloth? I'm so intrigued by this!

Jenae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenae Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 4:19am
post #17 of 71

I bought clear vinyl(it's actually greenish, but you can see through it) on the clearance rack/bolt of JoAnn's Fabric, It was near the apolstery material. It was in a long length, I bought a couple yards for 6 bucks total, cut it up and gave some to my classmates at the time.

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 4:20am
post #18 of 71

I recently purchased 1 yard of the clear vinyl at Walmart in the heavy weight. I cut in half and half again then went to Home Depot and purchased clear Masking Tape for $4.99 a roll.

I sandwiched two pieces of vinyl together and taped the top end (now I have a rectangle taped at the top) which gave me two completed mats.

I use it to hold (without the air getting to them) all my gumpaste or fondant flower pieces while I'm working on them. This works much better than that little yellow covered board from the Wilton classes.

KarenOR Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 4:21am
post #19 of 71

I'm confused. So it's the same stuff that you get on cheap tableclothes? Doesn't it slide when you roll? Is it food safe, right off the bolt?

What about a silpat? Wouldn't that work?

Cookie4 Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 4:25am
post #20 of 71

Silpats are too small, and too expensive. It's not the printed tablecloths, its the bolts of clear vinyl which comes in 3-4 different weights. You can also find it at fabric stores in bolts. The bolts are usually on racks and hung horizontally. They are very cheap and the beauty of them is that you can make either a one-piece mat or a two piece gumpaste/fondant holder in any size you please.

And, no they don't slip. Because they are plastic/acrylic they grip the table or countertop you are working on.

Jenae Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 4:26am
post #21 of 71

Mine's more rubbery than a cheap tablecloth. It doesn't slide when I roll.

I've seen it used to cover cloth tableclothes(at restaurants).

Jenae Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 4:32am
post #22 of 71

Cookie4- I like the idea about making a "folder", I'm not sure what else to call it. icon_smile.gif

KarenOR Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 4:35am
post #23 of 71

Can you roll out things between the vinyl as well?

Cookie4 Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 4:37am
post #24 of 71

Jenae: Folder is a great way to describe it. I saw a lady at the Houston Cake Club meeting with it a few months ago and I just had to go home and make one. Except mine was much larger and I'm glad it was. I just made 18 roses and cut out all the petals and put them into the folder and then took my time ruffling the edges and attaching to a center.

Also cut all the leaves and did the same. Because the edges are so heavy they stick to each other so no air can get inside. It's great and you can throw it out and make another without the thought of the cost factor. I have four made and rolled up in an old wrapping paper tube in my closit.

Jenae Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 4:42am
post #25 of 71

I've never had much success with gumpaste flowers because everything was dried out by the time I got to the next piece. I'll have to make me a folder and try again!! icon_smile.gif

Cookie4 Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 4:46am
post #26 of 71

KarenOR - not sure if you can roll between the 'folder' or not. Because the vinyl is so sticky it adhers to itself very well. I'm not sure if the weight of a rolling pin with downward and outward pressure can overcome the sticky vinyl. I'll have to try it, but not tonight - I'm two hours later than where you live. icon_biggrin.gif

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 4:46am
post #27 of 71

ksimp6577, to answer your question - I put nothing on my vinyl when working with fondant, other than the fondant! It makes it a lot easier to clean too because it's not greasy. I love it. For less than $5, it's worth trying. I did NOT get the heaviest/thickest one sold at Walmart, I think I got the next one down. It was the one to me that most closely matched the one sold at the cake shop.

KarenOR Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 5:02am
post #28 of 71

Thanks for all the replies! I guess I'll have to look for some! Although, I do have an enormous silpat, but probably not big enough.

ksimp6577 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ksimp6577 Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 1:18pm
post #29 of 71

I LOVE this idea!! I'm getting some today to try it out. Thank you so much!

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 1:32pm
post #30 of 71

I use the vinyl too. Got mine at Wal-mart. I also use the vinyl to make chocolate collars. Works great since I found it so hard to find acetate. I think I will use it for my chocolate images too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%