How To Match Cake Topper? Yuck

Decorating By justacake Updated 31 Mar 2007 , 5:55am by torki

justacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justacake Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 8:37pm
post #1 of 13

This websight has offered so much guidance over the past few years. Thank all of you for sharing your knowledge. I would like to know your opinion. I am doing a basic 3 tier fondant covered wedding cake, with satin ribbon trim, and royal icing scrollwork. The thing is that the brides dress is white and she requested white fondant, however I just received her cake topper and it is an all ivory bride and groom with a small gold trim at the base. I am using satin ice fondant. I can steer the bride in any direction, as she wants me to decide.

My opinion is that it seems tacky. What do you think? Since satin ice white isn't bright white, does it matter?

Also I normally use a silver cake drum, but I guess I will go with gold this time since the topper has a bit of gold.

Your opinion is valuable - thank you,

Lee

12 replies
awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 8:40pm
post #2 of 13

I think the cake should match the topper. It would look strange to have brite white fondant with an ivory topper. I don't like that look at all.

But as it seems like you are using Satin Ice which, yes, is not completely white white, I think that might look fine. I would probably explain to her especially because it will look better that way and then she isn't picturing this white white cake in her mind.

And yes, I think a gold cake drum would look the best in this case.

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 8:44pm
post #3 of 13

I agree about the gold drum, and you could also use some ivory luster dust on the fondant to give it a sheen that will complement the topper.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 8:45pm
post #4 of 13

Can you use ivory RI for the scroll work.... that would incorporate the two colors.......

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 8:51pm
post #5 of 13

I think the stark white cake will make the topper look old and dingy and dirty...definitely match them up........the scroll work in ivory is a good idea! Or even ivory ribbons?

justacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justacake Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 9:36pm
post #6 of 13

This is why I have a love/hate relationship with baking. I spend so much time worrying about the details, but I can't help it. I don't make "tacky cakes".

I wish she would just forgo the topper altogether, but it looks old and I am assuming is was passed down from someone in her family.

1. I could suggest we match the topper and do ivory fondant and royal icing - but I am afraid this will be tacky because her dress is white.

2. I could do white satin ice, with ivory royal icing accents - but then I am afraid those will look "dirty"

The ribbon is a solid moss green (peridot) color. So I can't use that to tie the two together.

The bottom line is that white and ivory mixed is tacky and I am not if I can make it look right. I could just tell the bride to decide, but then I will probably be stuck making an ugly cake.

All of your adive is wonderful. Let me know if you have any other thoughts.

Thanks again - Lee

caryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caryl Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 9:46pm
post #7 of 13

I have seen beautiful cakes in the palest-of-pale yellow with white scroll work-This can work too!
I would make the cake white (since that's originally what she wanted) and bring in the ivory & gold with the RI scroll work and a gold drum. Maybe a little gold dust here and there on the RI. That would look very elegant.
Good luck!

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 9:48pm
post #8 of 13

I think if the cake happens to be all in ivory hues, than it will tie in the topper and look good. As for matching to the dress...well, we can't have it all. icon_smile.gif As long as the cake looks good on its own, that's all you can ask for.

I actually liked the idea of white with ivory on a cake, but I don't know how white, ivory and gold will all tie in peacefully. I'll have to do some cake hunting and see what's out there.

Good luck to you!
Angie

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 10:42pm
post #9 of 13

2. I could do white satin ice, with ivory royal icing accents - but then I am afraid those will look "dirty"

I did one a couple of weeks ago, White, with ivory scrolls,and tipped the scrolls with gold, and it looked beautiful.... It would tie your cake stand right in with the cake.l.......I wish I could post the picture, but I'm having trouble.....

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 11:01pm
post #10 of 13

My good china has an ivory body, white embossed scroll work on the lip and gold rims. That is what I thought of when I read your topic. The pattern is Noritake "Tulane."

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 4:37am
post #11 of 13

How about coloring the satin ice a lighter shade of moss green to the ribbon & do ivory scroll work with gold accents. I look forward to seeing the finished cake.

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 4:51am
post #12 of 13

I like Superstar's idea (sounds beautiful) but at the same time the whole point was to match the dress. I think that I would make the cake ivory itself. It has to match the topper or it just won't be balanced. The bride sounds like she'll trust your judgement. Good luck!!

torki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
torki Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 5:55am
post #13 of 13

As per brides order the wedding cake I made was ivory with browns, creams and gold...... I had visions of a really horrible dull cake. After some thought I spoke to the bride to find out what colours her flowers were.....white lilies icon_confused.gif no help, so a bit more prying and I found out her bridesmaids and the table decos were oriental/pink lilies, so I ended up being able to add some colour into the cake. So maybe you could add a an accent colour to the cake to match the rest of the wedding....just an idea!!

If you go with the cream/ivory scroll work, paint with some ivory luster dust, you could even brighten up the topper with luster dust.!!!

good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%