Pricing On Buttercream????

Business By ruty Updated 19 Mar 2006 , 1:25am by izzybee

ruty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruty Posted 18 Mar 2006 , 6:14pm
post #1 of 3

Does anybody know how much to charge for a cup of homemade buttercream??
I am doing my price list and need to calculate the price of the frosting on each cake, but I don't do a lot of buttercream cakes (I often do whip cream) so I don't know how much do I have to charge.

By the way, how much do I have to charge for 1/4, 1/2 and a full sheet, 2" and 4" high.
Thanks for the help.

2 replies
dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 19 Mar 2006 , 1:17am
post #2 of 3

I would look at prices in your area for the cakes to have a guage/range for the price. For the buttercream, it will depend on what recipe you are using and the ingredients used. See how many cups a batch makes then break down the pricing from there including your time!

izzybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzybee Posted 19 Mar 2006 , 1:25am
post #3 of 3

The basic pricing method when you work form home is this:
Cost out all your ingredients, 1 egg, lb. of flour, etc.
Using that info, price your recipes and look at the yield, ie: 1 recipe of buttercream makes 5 cups. Divide the cost of your recipe by 5, that gives you your basic cost.
Multiply by 3, and that is what your charge the client.

Its hard to ask for prices here because everyone lives in different areas, and everyone gets different prices for their cakes, not to mention the price of ingredients are different in a city vs. the rural areas. The best way to do it is the above equation. If you think it is too low, you can always raise it from there. It is a long painstaking process that most of us who sell our cakes have done. But this way you are sure your making money and not giving your cakes away.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%