Candy Melts- Drawbacks??

Decorating By elvis Updated 17 Mar 2006 , 12:31am by Euphoriabakery

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 17 Mar 2006 , 12:21am
post #1 of 2

Hi! Are there any drawbacks to using candy melts rather than royal icing for decorations? I've piped candy melts decorations onto wax paper and peeled them off the paper for vertical cupcake toppers in the past and they worked great.

I'm supposed to make a race car and would prefer the quickness of the candy melts but am not sure if it will hold up since it will be a little larger than what i normally do. Any advice?? Thanks.

1 reply
Euphoriabakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Euphoriabakery Posted 17 Mar 2006 , 12:31am
post #2 of 2

Well, candy melts are not as hard as royal when dry. I find they break easier if you have very thin pieces. And you can't really make a 3D anything with Candy melts, like a rose or flowers unless you put it into a mold of that shape. With that said I think you could use candy melts if you are going for a flat image without and thin details, like say an antenna on a car. You should check out the tutorial on Frozen Buttercream transfers. You can use the same technique with candy melts, but skip the freezing step and just let it dry hard. It sounds like that might be what you want to do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%