First Time Cookies.

Baking By reesesob Updated 23 Apr 2007 , 1:00pm by Sunshine93

reesesob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reesesob Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 2:11am
post #1 of 18

I want to make cookie buildings to go all around the cake I am making. (Like in the wilton 2007 yearbook "Key to the city!" cake). The directions say to do them in color flow and I am pretty confident that I can do them. But my questions are...
#1 would it be easier to cover them in MMF?
#2 How far in advace can I make them (the party is 4/22)?
#3 Can I cheat and use the pillbury sugar cookie dough or do you recommend making them from scratch?

TIA!!!

17 replies
reesesob Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 3:06am
post #2 of 18

Anyone?!

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 6:27am
post #3 of 18

You can start now, and put them in the freezer to stay fresh.

I think fondant would look very nice, but colorflow will also be fine

I think the pillsbury cookie dough will puff when it bakes. That will change the shape of the cookie. It will make using fondant cut with the same cutter more difficult. You could try some now, and still have time to bake a scratch recipe. Either the No-Fails in the recipe forum, or Martha Stewarts cut out cookie recipe, both are good.

reesesob Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 12:34pm
post #4 of 18

Thanks JoAnnB,
How do I attach the fondant? And would I freeze them before or after putting the fondant on?

laura_d_v Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laura_d_v Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 3:03pm
post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by reesesob

Thanks JoAnnB,
How do I attach the fondant? And would I freeze them before or after putting the fondant on?

Think I'll BUMP.
I'd like to know too.

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 3:11pm
post #6 of 18

I think that it would be best to freeze them before putting the fondant on. Also I believe that you can use a little corn syrup brushed on before sticking the fondant on or use marmalade or jam to stick the fondant on. I have not done it, but read about others doing it here. Hopefully someone will come by and verify it.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 5:30pm
post #7 of 18

You can freeze them before or after the fondant is applied. Unless you decorate with very bright colors, they will thaw just fine. Bright colors on the fondant could bleed when they thaw. You could add the fondant cover and leave the detail decorations for after they thaw.

You can apply the fondant with something sticky, or just barely moisten the back of the fondant with a brush of water. It will melt a bit and stick to the cookie. Thinned corn syrup, piping gel, royal icing will all work

JenWith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWith Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 6:48pm
post #8 of 18

I actually baked the cookies, frozen and reheated in a warm oven for a few minutes in order to attach the frozen RBC. Did that over the weekend and it worked great! Cookie was warm and the RBC melted and stuck right on. icon_lol.gif

HTH

I want to add that I didn't reheat the cookie with the RBC on it. I reheated the cookie by itself and THEN attached the frozen RBC cut out. After reading my post, I sounded confusing... sorry!

Jenteach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenteach Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 6:54pm
post #9 of 18

I've only done MMF on cookies once, so take my advice for what it is worth....

I put the MMF on the cookies as soon as they came out of the oven and after about 15 - 20 minutes, there was no way the MMF was coming off. It was completely stuck to the cookie.

I have no idea about the freezing though....

HTH

Jen

laly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laly Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 7:08pm
post #10 of 18

I let mine cool for 10 min. after i take them out of the oven. Then cover with marshmallow. I use only water to stick marshmallow to the cookie. You can paint after MMF has set up. You might save cookies in a sandwich bag, they will keep the shape and stay fresh.

dljc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dljc Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 7:23pm
post #11 of 18

Are you set on doing the buildings as cookies? You could also make the buildings out of a fondant base and then decorate that and let that dry . . . Of course you wouldn't eat them thumbsdown.gif but you also wouldn't have to worry about freshness . . . thumbs_up.gif

Just a thought (a little outside of the box).

Good luck,
Debbie

reesesob Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 2:02am
post #12 of 18

Thank you all for all the information! icon_lol.gif
DLJC - I am not set on the cookies, I just want them to be BRIGHT Primary colors. It can be anything that will stick to the cake well and that is fairly easy to do. thumbs_up.gif
I kind of go a little crazy on doing my kids parties so I will have to start decorating the day before. That is why I am trying to see what I can do for the cake ahead of time so that I can just bake and frost in between all the other things I have planned. icon_rolleyes.gif

Again, thank you everyone for the help! I can't wait to get started.

reesesob Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 3:26am
post #13 of 18

I would like to thank everyone for thier help with these little buggers!
It only took me 4 tries to get them right. icon_wink.gif

So here they are all finished and waiting to go around the cake...

mitsel8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mitsel8 Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 4:17am
post #14 of 18

Fantastic!! I can't wait to see the cake!

Amberslilzoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amberslilzoo Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 3:27pm
post #15 of 18

Teresa those look great!! Can't wait to see the cakeicon_smile.gif

reesesob Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 12:28am
post #16 of 18

It's DONE!!!! I love the way it came out. Let me know if there is anything you would have changed or just what you think!

Thanks again to everyone for helping me.

My son's name is on the big cake made with cookies but I blurred it out, since I have issues with my kids names being on the internet.

I Also did all those star lollipops and spiderman face rice crispy treats.

mitsel8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mitsel8 Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 3:00am
post #17 of 18

You should be very happy!!!
The cake turned out fantastic!
Your colors are perfect and I love your cake stand.

Sunshine93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunshine93 Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 1:00pm
post #18 of 18

It looks great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%