For Those Of You With Limited Counter Space

Decorating By Lazy_Susan Updated 15 Mar 2006 , 4:00pm by Euphoriabakery

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 7:32am
post #1 of 14

Hi y'all!!!
I recently purchased a kitchen cart and I love it soooooo much that I wanted to share with y'all. I live in an apartment with a small kitchen. So I was limited with my counter space. However, I had this empty corner that was just screaming to be occupied!!! icon_smile.gif I went online and found a fabulous kitchen cart and it has been such a great help with my limited counter space issue. Perhaps this could help y'all as well. I'm posting pictures of it so you can see how useful it is. The walls behind it are blank right now but I thought about hanging a couple of big pictures of decorated cakes on them for inspiration. My hubby is definitely much happier since I purchased the kitchen cart icon_smile.gif

Edited to add: I also, meant to mention that it has a wooden flip up breakfast bar attached to the back if you are in need of even more space. And the working countertop is stainless steel!!! Fantastic for working with fondant icon_biggrin.gif

Lazy_Susan
LL
LL
LL

13 replies
riagirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
riagirl Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 7:39am
post #2 of 14

this would be so perfect for me! can i ask where you bought it adn about how much it cost?
thanks!

Lazy_Susan Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 7:46am
post #3 of 14

Sure... I bought it at kitchencarts.com http://www.kitchensource.com/kitchen-islands/hs-5086-95.htm
However, when I went to go find the link for you I looked at its price and they have changed it DRASTICALLY!!! I paid $329 plus free shipping for my cart. The exact same cart from the exact same company is now marked $435 plus free shipping. I think that's kind of rude to mark it up so much. If y'all like this idea I think I would shop around for a better price.

riagirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
riagirl Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 8:31am
post #4 of 14

thanks, susan! bummer that the price has gone up. i'll search around or watch this one to see if it goes on sale or something icon_smile.gif

Cake_Geek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Geek Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 12:31pm
post #5 of 14

I did the same thing as you years ago b/c of limited counter space. I bought a regular island from a local dept store and got DH to put wheels on it. I love it and do all my decorating on it. I just wish it had more drawers and that side shelf like yours!!

spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 12:36pm
post #6 of 14

That is great. I love it. Alittle steep for me but knowing it's out there will get me to shop around. Thanks.

Lazy_Susan Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 1:52pm
post #7 of 14

This was truly the best investment for my hobby icon_smile.gif I forgot to mention that on the other end is a paper towel rack. However, VIVA paper towels don't fit on it. So, I just keep my regular hand wiping paper towels on it icon_smile.gif

lemoncurd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lemoncurd Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 2:45pm
post #8 of 14

Wow, that is such a great idea. I will keep that in mind. My place is so small I don't even have room for something like that. I work on my tiny Ikea dining room table.

Lazy_Susan Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 2:56pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemoncurd

Wow, that is such a great idea. I will keep that in mind. My place is so small I don't even have room for something like that. I work on my tiny Ikea dining room table.

I used to use my dining room table too but I have an antique candelabra on it that I can't bring myself to move. So I was limited with space even on my table icon_smile.gif This kitchen cart was a life saver!

carflea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carflea Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 2:59pm
post #10 of 14

WOW thanks for Sharing. My DH and i were just talking about that. I love it. I could have all of my things centrally located.

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 3:00pm
post #11 of 14

That's what my hubby got me for christmas but it was a smaller one but hey it works wonders. I have an idea for the blank wall there.... howsa bout puttin up a bulletin board and then you can tack your recipes or pics or sketches of your works in progress.
Hey lemoncurd, hun you can get a nice small sized one at wallymart for like 80 bucks should fit in your small area. (if you don't have a wallymart (Wal*Mart) then you can go to www.walmart.com and order one online.

Lazy_Susan Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 3:05pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaptlps

I have an idea for the blank wall there.... howsa bout puttin up a bulletin board and then you can tack your recipes or pics or sketches of your works in progress.

That's a great idea but this area is in plain view of our every day living area. I would most likely get a board like that way too messy. I'm too anal for that. Everything has to be perfect. Sometimes it drives me crazy icon_razz.gif

sgmaluv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgmaluv Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 3:48pm
post #13 of 14

I just got one too! I got mine at IKEA...it's not a rolley-cart, but an actual kitchen island. It doesn't have all the storage, but I'm lucky that my little kitchen has tons of cupboard space. Mine's about 4 feet long, counter-height, and fits perfectly next to the stove in the little dining alcove we have. It's HEAVEN having counterspace! Our only space before was taken up by the dishrack and the microwave. Got a microwave cart, but then also got a KitchenAid mixer....so there went that counter-space. I'm SO much happier now!

Anyways...check out IKEA too. Mine is solid wood - birch, I think - and butcher-block style top. It was $200. There's a lattice shelf on the bottom that I use for all my cookbooks/decorating magazines.

Euphoriabakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Euphoriabakery Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 4:00pm
post #14 of 14

I get a catalog from a company called Improvements. They sell a lot of space saving and inventive items. The website is www.improvementscatalog.com , but I don't know if they actually sell on their site.

Anyhoo- I was flipping through about a month ago and saw a product that I really want to get! It is a mobile Kitchen island. It has 9 sq ft of workable space and a towel rack as well as 2 shelfs underneath. The cool thing about this piece is that it folds up to 5 1/2" wide and you can just roll it into a small space in your kitchen. It would fit perfect between my fridge and counter! I also have very limited space and am always wanting an extra surface to work on, so this would be perfect. But, it is $200, so my DH said no for now. He said if I sell more ckaes maybe! But just thought I would share.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%