Raspberry Filling, How Soon.....

Decorating By missym Updated 29 Mar 2007 , 4:40am by msthang1224

missym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missym Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 2:38pm
post #1 of 17

I am doing a three tier cake for my MIL 60th birthday (a huge surprise we have been working on for months). Although I have been doing cakes for a while, I've only done one filled cake and we ate it right after. Since this is a larger cake and will take more time (and I want it to be so special), I am wondering how soon I can add the raspberry filling and decorate? Will the filling go through the layers (I'm thinking if I crumb coat and put the band around the outside, I should be fine)? I'm just worried if I do this Friday evening and we don't eat it until Saturday evening, it will run and be a mess? Any advice would be appreciated.

16 replies
jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 2:42pm
post #2 of 17

I usually put a thin layer of buttercream on the top side of the bottom cake, and the underside of the top layer forst just to seal it in. I use a thin crumbcoat type layer.

HeatherMari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherMari Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 2:43pm
post #3 of 17

When ever I use raspberry filling I buy the pastry filling that my cake supplier carries and I have never had a problem. I put a dam of buttercream around the edge of the cake layer (I try to stay in just a tiny bit so that if it bulges at all it won't go over the edge) and fill in the rest with the raspberry. Don't use too much or it won't be very stable. I usually keep the filling just a little bit lower than my dam.
HTH,
Heather

Momof3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof3boys Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 5:07pm
post #4 of 17

I don't know what kind of filling you are using but I use the Smucker's raspberry jam (I usually mix it with the bc icing) and it doesn't need refrigeration. I've made a few cakes with this and they weren't eaten until at least the next evening with no problem. Good luck.

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 5:16pm
post #5 of 17

You would have to be careful about a homemade filling because many of those need to be refrigerated.

I've mixed raspberry jam/jelly with BC as Momof3boys mentioned, and you wouldn't have to put it in the fridge so that would be easy. I happened to use Polaner All Fruit brand jelly - no seeds.

It shouldn't seep in too much (the BC thickens it up) but if you are worried, a thin coat of BC like jen1977 described would work great.

Good luck! icon_smile.gif

evesloven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evesloven Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 5:24pm
post #6 of 17

Oh my gosh, all of you are on the same wavelength as I am! (Or I'm on the same ones you are!!) LOL..I have my company banquet coming up due on Friday, and so far every question I've had has been answered because someone else has asked it! YAY!!... I had this question on the Rasp. filling too. I'm going to use the Smucker's Simply Fruit Red Raspberry seedless "spreadable fruit" lol. I'm planning on mixing it with the buttercream and using it as a filling. The cake is going to be cooked tonight, then filled and iced tomorrow, then eaten on Friday...so it should be okay right? Thanks so much for being awesome!! LOL>

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 5:27pm
post #7 of 17

Here is my recipe for raspberry filling. I have made it a few times now with white cake and no crumb coat in it will not soak into the cake. You need to make the filling up a little ahead of time so it has time to set up though. Like the night before. But definitely put it together friday and eat saturday. no problem! I only refrigerate the leftovers, it doesnt need to be in the fridge for overnight.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2503-0-Raspberry-Filling.html

springlakecake Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 5:29pm
post #8 of 17

oh and yes, definitely do an icing dam though!

mstyblueyz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mstyblueyz Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 5:44pm
post #9 of 17

Has anyone tried mixing the jam or jelly with whipping cream? I made some last night that I am going to put in a cake tonight to be eaten tomorrow. I am hoping for the best!

springlakecake Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 5:54pm
post #10 of 17

just be careful with the whipping cream, unless you put something in it to stabalize it, it wont hold up. I learned this from trying icon_lol.gif ! I was questioning it and thankfully I saw it starting to deflate before I ever tried putting into a cake. I was told (here it needed a stablizer, like pudding or gelatin or something. I cant remeber exactly what!

cakesonoccasion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesonoccasion Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 5:58pm
post #11 of 17

I have done raspberry filling and NOT used a coating of buttercream and regretted it! It soaked into the layers above and below and turned the lemon cake purple. I would suggest putting a THIN crumb coat layer of buttercream. I use Polaner All Fruit Spread alone, and it is delicious! I think it would be good mixed with a little buttercream as well... icon_smile.gif

mstyblueyz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mstyblueyz Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 6:07pm
post #12 of 17

Thank you merissa. I will add something to it before I put it in the cake.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 6:10pm
post #13 of 17

Ok now! Now I know to do that thin layer and the dam. (which I have done before) Has anyone ever used pie fillings? Those are already preserved, I think? Do those soak in the cake? Aren't the jam fillings so sweet? icon_smile.gif

springlakecake Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 6:19pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by step0nmi

Ok now! Now I know to do that thin layer and the dam. (which I have done before) Has anyone ever used pie fillings? Those are already preserved, I think? Do those soak in the cake? Aren't the jam fillings so sweet? icon_smile.gif

I too regretted the first raspberry filling I did. it totally soaked into the cake EVEN with a crumb coat. I swore i would never make it again. I tried the sleeve filling and it doesnt soak into the cake, but I didnt care for it. Tasted like jelly donut filling. But trust me, I havent had my recipe soak into the cake. I worry each time, but each time it is just fine!

hillmn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hillmn Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 6:51pm
post #15 of 17

There is a raspberry filling that uses Polander, cream cheese, and Cool whip. I cannot find it right now but it is delicious. I used it once with out a crumb coat but because of the Cool Whip and cream cheese, I kept the cake refridgerated, it did not soak into the cake. I will look for the recipe, I thought it was from CC.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 6:52pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherMari

When ever I use raspberry filling I buy the pastry filling that my cake supplier carries and I have never had a problem. I put a dam of buttercream around the edge of the cake layer (I try to stay in just a tiny bit so that if it bulges at all it won't go over the edge) and fill in the rest with the raspberry. Don't use too much or it won't be very stable. I usually keep the filling just a little bit lower than my dam.
HTH,
Heather

I also use the sleeve fillings. Just had my daughter's baby shower this past weekend (in photo's the one entitled "Chris's Baby Shower" with the icing booties). I baked, iced and decorated the cake on Thursday for a Saturday shower. Normally, I do the dam around the edge, but for some reason I forgot on this cake. I crumb coated then iced. No leakage, seepage or other signs of red filling. It didn't soak into the cake (I've never had that happen with sleeve fillings) and overall was a big hit at the shower!

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 4:40am
post #17 of 17

Thanks guys, i'm going to try this method. i have shy'd away from these types of filling for this reason but, since the experts have spoken. I'll try it!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%