Help!!! Making Ganache With Chocolate Chips????

Decorating By projectqueen Updated 28 Mar 2007 , 4:44pm by LaSombra

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 3:02am
post #1 of 14

I'm trying to make a ganache for whipping for a filling.

I used Ghiradelli chocolate chips (semisweet) and heavy cream. I poured the hot heavy cream over the choc. chips and they are not dissolving all the way.

Should I not use choc chips to make this? Can I save it?

Help please!

13 replies
JStar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JStar Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 3:07am
post #2 of 14

Oh I usually stick mine in the microwave for a few seconds when this happens. Just be careful not to over do it or the chocolate will burn.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 3:07am
post #3 of 14

i've successfully used the chips

patience...it can take some time for them to completely melt....just keep stirring.

-----

if you have a heating pad, you can set the bowel on that to add a bit of extra heat to urge the chocolate along.

or a very gently "nudge" in the microwave can help too (like 5 sec at a time and stir well each time)

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 3:13am
post #4 of 14

Thanks, guys, I'll try that.

It looks like it's separated or something, I didn't know if it would ever dissolve completely.

Okay, I'm off to try warming it again slowly....

brcorlew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brcorlew Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 3:17am
post #5 of 14

I just had this happen to me last week. I used chocolate chips and the same thing happened to me. I kept putting it in the microwave in 30 second intervals and stirred a lot. Eventually the lumps started to disolve. They didn't all go away, so I ran the whole chocolate mixture through a fine strainer and it turned out wonderful....no lumps! It did take some time, I didn't think the lumps would ever disolve, be patient! Good luck! icon_smile.gif

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 3:18am
post #6 of 14

I used chocolate chips just fine - ghiradelli in fact. Although each time I've tried to make ganache I always seem to overheat the whipping cream a bit - it starts to bubble quite a lot! Oops! But the ganache always ends up tasting great so I guess I'm okay w/ a little absent-mindedness... icon_smile.gif just keep stirring and the other tips about heating it up slowly in the microwave are good too. Oh and I use a metal bowl - usually the one that came w/ my K.A. mixer. I think that helps conduct the heat better.

Good luck!

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 3:32am
post #7 of 14

I use a stainless bowl and get the cream to just boiling...then when the bubbles start to rise I pour it in...I've never had the chips not melticon_wink.gif

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 3:48am
post #8 of 14

I always use chocolate chips because they're already in small pieces and they're actually cheaper than the baking chocolate to buy...go figure icon_rolleyes.gif

Just keep stirring, stirring, stirring icon_lol.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 3:55am
post #9 of 14

I use those same chips all the time. It takes a couple of minutes of stirring the hot cream into the chips for it to all melt and come together. I always heat the cream until just before it boils and I do it on the stove top because I always under or over heat the cream if I microwave it.

mdutcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdutcher Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 4:01am
post #10 of 14

I use the ghiradelli chips, too. I use a glass bowl. It comes out fine for me, too..... I think I melted the chips in the microwave before I added the cream.....I can't remember for sure....

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 6:42am
post #11 of 14

Ditto on using the chips, they work fine, just don't let your cream get too hot or it will not do well. It takes some stirring, but will eventually melt.

peterlori1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peterlori1 Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 11:34am
post #12 of 14

I put the chocolate chips in a food processor, whir them a bit, then add the hot cream through the feed tube and process for just a few seconds. It comes together wonderfully.

praetorian2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
praetorian2000 Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 11:53am
post #13 of 14

I also use chocolate chips and a food processor. It works perfectly and almost instantly. If you want to know more about that, you can read it in The Cake Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum. That's where I learned it.

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 4:44pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlori1

I put the chocolate chips in a food processor, whir them a bit, then add the hot cream through the feed tube and process for just a few seconds. It comes together wonderfully.

I saw Alton Brown do that once on Good Eats and have thought about trying it that way. Maybe I should dig out the food processor and try it icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%