How Many Pro's Vs. Weekend Warriors?

Decorating By cordy Updated 15 Mar 2006 , 10:17pm by izzybee

chocomama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocomama Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 8:06pm
post #31 of 44

I just had my 2nd Wilton class last night and I'm pretty bored, too. I'm really hoping it will get better and I know I need the practice, which I'm doing, but I have learned SO much right here. I mean, most people in my class don't know what they're doing and don't seem to care. A couple said that they almost didn't go last night b/c they didn't feel like it, and that's OK, but there are 2 of us who are there for a purpose and more than 1/2 of yesterday's class was spent preparing parchment bags and practicing stars and such for their sake. (I want to get really good and do weddings and do this in addition to my current business of baked goods and the other person wants a promotion at the bakery in which she works.) We didn't even get to do our cake project for the day. Anyway, I'm thinking of changing instructors for Course 2. It does help me to actually see someone stand in front of me and demonstrate even though this course is going pretty slow.

JamieL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamieL Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 8:17pm
post #32 of 44

I had an instructor who said she still takes beginner level courses sometimes, because even if you pick up one little tip you didn't know before, that can really help. It is really frustrating when other people aren't at the interest level you are when you're really committed to learning more, but maybe you'll find a couple of useful gems.

carflea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carflea Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 8:20pm
post #33 of 44

Maybe you could pull the instructor aside and ask for more advanced techniques. I'm taking that class next week but i really like the place i'm going to. Some teachers are good teachers and can be creative on the spot and some can just read from books. If your paying money you deserve to get the most out of it. Good Luck!

ellyrae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellyrae Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 8:37pm
post #34 of 44

Hummmm, I am a WEEKEND WARRIOR, gone PRO, now back to WEEKEND WARRIOR! I'm self taught, beginning at age 15, or there abouts. I entered a cake decorating contest at age 16 and to my surprise, received 2nd place and "most outstanding action lab".

I did lots of simple cake's for friends and family until I left home by 18. Then I couldn't afford a cake mix much less anything else and I lost all my decorating supplies that I did have in a move.

In 1995 I applied for a job in a European Bakery. I started at the cookie counter! The more cake's I saw come out of the decorating room, the more my itch to decorate got worse!! I was allowed to help with writing messages on cake's at first and gradually got to help with the counter cake's. I wanted my boss to see how badly I wanted to be a decorator so I took my first Wilton course. The instructor wanted to know what I was doing in her class because I could already do all the things she was teaching and more!

Needless to say, I did work my way up to full time decorator, Supervisor and ultimately Manager. My true love was decorating and got many opportunities to create cake's in between my other job duties at the same time.

I retired 5 yrs later when the stress on my pregnancy was too much. I have continued to do many cake's on my own, most of them donations but I still earn a buck or two for large requested cake's for weddings, big showers, etc...I'm getting ready to do a very special baby shower cake this week and I might enter it in the contest here on the site so look out!! LOL

Besides cake decorating, I am very big in mural, art paper and canvas painting, greeting card design, embossing (dry), beading/jewelry making, and many other art mediums. God has really blessed me with talents to develop and many opportunities to use these talents for His Kingdom!

I am really enjoying this site and am so very thankful that I've found it! I love sharing my cake's with all of you and even more, I LOVE seeing all the many different style's of cake's! There are SO many very talented and creative people here! I feel welcome and at home.

Happy piping everyone and God bless.
Ellyrae

FatAndHappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatAndHappy Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 11:51pm
post #35 of 44

My friend/business partner Sue and I always like baking. My mom has many photos of me when I was a kid making cakes and icing and playing with colored writing tubes from the food store. Sue and I decided to take the Wilton classes in August last year and we had a really great teacher who was not a "from the book" teacher. She showed us many different things and we never "had" to make our cakes look like the book especially our final cakes. The 3 class levels of Wilton taught us many things and the great teacher advanced us too.

I quit my job with an eye doctor the end of January and am doing cakes/cookies etc only. I do about 3 a week and Sue does about 2 (she still works full time). We are hoping to open a shop sometime within the next 2 years - partly because we are tired of cleaning up our kitchen constantly from our cake messes!

If you have a good teacher - the Wilton classes are worth it! Good luck!

heavenlys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlys Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 12:23am
post #36 of 44

I am a weekend warrior gone Pro! I started baking for friends and family and by word of mouth my business grew and my husband got tired of our house looking like a bakery and bakery supplies stuffed inevery crevice of our house and said get a store or stop. So we got a store. I love it!! Sometimed I do get frustrated because in a bakery setting you don't always get ot be as creative as I would like. People just want a generic cake that says Happy Birthday how BORING!! But I always count my blessing for what I have and try to make it the nicest generic cake ever. Because I get to do what I love everyday and what is better than that!

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 3:09am
post #37 of 44

Weekend warrior here. I am in the middle of course II right now. Really enjoy it. The insturctor has been great. I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old, so definitely no time to really indulge during the day, but that's okay. Not sure where the road will take me with this new passion, but I'm very new.

Fun thread to read.
Angie

kaecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaecakes Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 3:48am
post #38 of 44

I guess I would have to say both, I work from home doing 1 or 2 cakes for sell a month. Usually birthday cakes, 1 or 2 wedding cakes a year. I am also a Wilton instructor. As an instructor we need to lean toward the very new to decorating students, but hopefully I give tips and new techniques, for those who have been decorating for years. Yes we have a guideline to follow but we can always give extra hints as long as we follow the Wilton Method. I personally go to all the Wilton seminars and meetings I can, and always learn something new from someone. A lot of times from fellow instructors.

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 4:37am
post #39 of 44

I started baking some cakes really enjoyed it but had some problems and my husband signed me up for classes with my 13 yr old daughter. My daughter and I took all 3 wilton courses and loved every minute of it and can't stop wanting to do more. My daughter gets mad if I make a cake when she is at school. I guess it would depend on the instructor on how much you learn and whether you have fun with it. We all have to practice but the tips she has given me has helped alot, she has even asked me to do some of her classes. ha ha I said....... If your comfortable doing it yourself there are lots of books, but I enjoyed the social of learning from others too... and it was cheap icon_smile.gif

sofiasmami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sofiasmami Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 4:19pm
post #40 of 44

and it was cheap icon_smile.gif[/quote]

the classes are cheap ... the materias are not!! ... I've spent a small fortune on all the stuff I NEED ... and still lots more icon_redface.gif

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 5:44pm
post #41 of 44

Yes you are right the materials are not cheap but I enjoy doing it. I have spent ALOT doing cakes just to get what I need but now I find I only have to buy essentials.

NeeNee30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NeeNee30 Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 10:12pm
post #42 of 44

Weekend warrior! I made my first cake for my youngest son's 2nd or 3rd birthday, can't quite remember which one it was. My mom also made cakes while I was growing up. So I like to say that I learned it all from her, and she is always there if I have a question, but basically I am self-taught. I haven't taken any classes at this point, but I would really like to. My mom gave me all of her cake 'stuff' a couple of years ago, so I guess she has offically handed down her craft.

I make cakes for my kids and my friend's kids and usually make any shower cakes for my church. I absolutely love making cakes, and have occasionally thought about going pro, but, like someone else said, not sure if I want all the 'hassle' that goes along with it. So, right now, it's just a very fun and creative hobby.

I just found this web-site a couple of days ago, and I am totally addicted now!! I need to do some housework!!! icon_lol.gif

abbey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abbey Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 10:15pm
post #43 of 44

Weekend warrior here. I love making cakes maybe someday it'll be a profession but for now just for fun.

izzybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzybee Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 10:17pm
post #44 of 44

pro

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%