Parchment Paper In Bottom Of Cake Pans For Baking???

Decorating By bakersofcakes Updated 13 Mar 2006 , 3:11am by bakersofcakes

bakersofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakersofcakes Posted 12 Mar 2006 , 4:17am
post #1 of 20

Recently, I've been having a problem with a thin layer of cake sticking to the bottom of cake pans (different sizes). Most of these cakes were from DH or BC box mixes, but some were scratch recipes. I always follow box instructions which usually say to grease & lightly flour. I use Crisco shortening & Pillsbury or Gold Medal flour. I've also tried baking 9 x 13 x 2 in. pans at 325 degress.

Should I use parchment or wax paper in the bottom of the pan(s)?
Do I grease & flour pans anyway if using paper?
Do I grease and/or flour paper too?

Will any of this stop my cake bottom (which will be the decorated cake top) from sticking, peeling and being crumbly??? icon_confused.gif

TIA

19 replies
LisaMS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMS Posted 12 Mar 2006 , 4:27am
post #2 of 20

Oh, definitely use parchment or wax paper. (I use wax paper; it's cheaper and does fine!) I'm convinced that using the wax paper helps my edges not to dry out and get hard; so I never go without it. I just spray Pam or the equivelant then lay my wax paper down. I also line my sides.

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 12 Mar 2006 , 4:56am
post #3 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakersofcakes

Recently, I've been having a problem with a thin layer of cake sticking to the bottom of cake pans (different sizes). Most of these cakes were from DH or BC box mixes, but some were scratch recipes. I always follow box instructions which usually say to grease & lightly flour. I use Crisco shortening & Pillsbury or Gold Medal flour. I've also tried baking 9 x 13 x 2 in. pans at 325 degress.

Should I use parchment or wax paper in the bottom of the pan(s)?
Do I grease & flour pans anyway if using paper?
Do I grease and/or flour paper too?

Will any of this stop my cake bottom (which will be the decorated cake top) from sticking, peeling and being crumbly??? icon_confused.gif

TIA

I use parchment paper on all my cakes, never go without and never ever, do cakes stick to anything. I grease the pan, and then put a few layers of paper on the base and then a collar on the sides, the cakes come out like magic and there are hardly any crumbs. Once the cake is cooled the paper just peels off.
Magic : )
Nati

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 12 Mar 2006 , 4:58am
post #4 of 20

I do the same as Nati icon_smile.gif Always use parchment paper and never ever have a problem. I did try wax paper once but personally I didn't like it. It left little ripples on the bottom of the cake.

Lazy_Susan

Darstus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darstus Posted 12 Mar 2006 , 5:09am
post #5 of 20

I have never used parchment in my pans and have no problem with sticking. I use a couple of products that have the shortening and starch together. I just brush a thin layer all over the inside of my pans, bake, cool (the appropriate time) and I never have any problems. These products a Wilton's Cake Release or a product I think from CK called Pan Grease. But once when I ran our and it was too late to get more, I made the stuff up based on the recipe given to me by ? but a cake decorator. it is :

1 cup Crisco
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup flour

I cream the crisco, add the oil and cream more then add the flour. All this in an effort to prevent lumps. This stuff is great. I just put it in one of my empty containers of the others I bought and use it. I keep a pastry brush for this only. This is great for character pans as you get into the details well.

cakecre8tor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecre8tor Posted 12 Mar 2006 , 5:11am
post #6 of 20

Yes I also am a fan of the parchment paper!!!

freddie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddie Posted 12 Mar 2006 , 6:46am
post #7 of 20

I use the same recipe as Darstus only I melt the Crisco then mix it with the oil and then wisk in the flour until throughly mixed, (I find it mixes easier this way) pour into a squirt bottle. Give it a shake before use then squirt it onto pan and spread with pastry brush. Can keep in cupboard for ages and is cheaper than store bought brands or parchment.

Have never had a cake stick at all since using this, it works wonderful !!!
Bottom is not crumby with this either, just firm and moist as it should be !!!

AmberCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmberCakes Posted 12 Mar 2006 , 6:50am
post #8 of 20

I love the Wilton Pan Release also. I won't go without it now. Forget greasing and flouring my cakes the old fashioned way. The wilton pan release gives the same effect yet easy. icon_smile.gif

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 12 Mar 2006 , 7:14am
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakecre8tor

Yes I also am a fan of the parchment paper!!!

cakecre8tor
I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!!!!
Nati

MelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelC Posted 12 Mar 2006 , 1:19pm
post #10 of 20

I always use parchment!! BTW.... you can wash and re-use parchment, so in the end, it's CHEAPER than waxed paper! (and works so much nicer!)

I cut out a piece to fit every one of my pans... once they're dry, I store them in the bottom of the appropriate pan so they're always handy!

sofiasmami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sofiasmami Posted 12 Mar 2006 , 1:49pm
post #11 of 20

you can also use viva paper towels to line the pans

APCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APCakes Posted 12 Mar 2006 , 2:01pm
post #12 of 20

I haven't wanted to do parchment because it seems like it would take more time, and why bother if the old fashioned grease & flour works just great? I do want to try the pan grease recipes, though, just to save an extra step.

I guess once you find a 'groove' that works for you, that's all that matters. Try them all and see what you like. icon_smile.gif

Bakersofcakes, I think if you cool the cake in the pan for longer than 10 minutes, the grease will harden and make the cake stick to the pan. So let it cool for 8-10 min, then turn it out. See if that helps.

Sugarbean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbean Posted 12 Mar 2006 , 2:06pm
post #13 of 20

I use parchment on the bottoms and plain old crisco on the sides. IT always works.

But I never thought of using parch. on the sides. I'm going to have to try that!

thumbs_up.gif

heavenlys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlys Posted 12 Mar 2006 , 2:25pm
post #14 of 20

use the same recipe as Darstus and Freddie. We call it cake paint at the bakery. We never have a cake stick and it is cheaper than buying a pan release product.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 12 Mar 2006 , 3:48pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofiasmami

you can also use viva paper towels to line the pans

Don't you get paper towel lint on the cakes?

sofiasmami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sofiasmami Posted 12 Mar 2006 , 3:52pm
post #16 of 20

I got the tip from a post here on cc .. I tried it and it worked fine .. no lint

bakersofcakes Posted 12 Mar 2006 , 9:37pm
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelC

I always use parchment!! BTW.... you can wash and re-use parchment, so in the end, it's CHEAPER than waxed paper! (and works so much nicer!)

I cut out a piece to fit every one of my pans... once they're dry, I store them in the bottom of the appropriate pan so they're always handy!

Wash??? icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gif With dish detergent, or do you just wipe it with a dish cloth or damp paper towel?

BTW, if I use parchment or waxed paper, do I need to grease the paper? Do you also use flour on the rest of the pan (before you put the paper in the bottom)?

Thanks, everyone! icon_smile.gif

P.S. I'll have to try the recipe for (homemade) cake release.

Oh, yeah, all the cake mix boxes say to cool cake in pan for 15 min., but I usually take it out of the pan at 10 min.

reenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reenie Posted 12 Mar 2006 , 9:44pm
post #18 of 20

I spray my pans with Pam then I heavily flour them and make sure to get off as much of the access flour as possible. I don't have any cake stick in my pans except for the very thin "skin" you get on the cake from using the grease and starch, but I just brush it off with a pastery brush. Even the 16" pan cakes do not stick.

MelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelC Posted 12 Mar 2006 , 9:55pm
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakersofcakes

Wash??? icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gif With dish detergent, or do you just wipe it with a dish cloth or damp paper towel?

BTW, if I use parchment or waxed paper, do I need to grease the paper? Do you also use flour on the rest of the pan (before you put the paper in the bottom)?

I usually wash them in my dishwater that I'm washing the pans.... just rinse with fresh water and lay them flat to dry.

I always grease the sides, and at least under the parchment... if it's a particularly sticky recipe (or if I'm not sure) I'll grease the top of the parchment too. If the recipe calls for the pan to be greased and floured, I usually flour it as well (but I've been known to skip that step without any real problems)

The nice thing about using the parchment is that you can actually chill your cake (in the fridge) before you remove it, then it's nice and firm and almost impossible to break taking it out of the pan! I found that tip in one of my books... I think it's how Colette does it!

bakersofcakes Posted 13 Mar 2006 , 3:11am
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenie

I spray my pans with Pam then I heavily flour them and make sure to get off as much of the access flour as possible. I don't have any cake stick in my pans except for the very thin "skin" you get on the cake from using the grease and starch, but I just brush it off with a pastery brush. Even the 16" pan cakes do not stick.

Actually, it's the "skin" I was referring to. Sometimes it's stuck all over the bottom of the pan & other times none sticks to the pan. I use Crisco & flour.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%