Shelf Life Of Butter In Buttercream

Decorating By dljc Updated 27 Mar 2007 , 4:14am by Sugarbunz

dljc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dljc Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 8:17pm
post #1 of 11

So far, I've used the Wilton all-crisco recipe partly because it has a long shelf life at room temperature. If I switch and try the buttercream dream with real butter, how long will it keep at room temperature (such as on a cake) or in the fridge if I make it ahead of time.

Thanks!

10 replies
dljc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dljc Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 11:27pm
post #2 of 11

bump . . .

Anyone?

PerryStCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PerryStCakes Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 11:37pm
post #3 of 11

about a day out of fridge. 5 days in fridge, 6 months in freezer icon_smile.gif

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 11:37pm
post #4 of 11

I would only keep it out on the counter for a couple of days no longer. I keep it in the fridge for about a week.

spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 11:46pm
post #5 of 11

Good to know, Thanks!

Busia77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Busia77 Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 12:05am
post #6 of 11

The salt in your recipe acts as a preservative. You can keep it out for a few days with no problem.

psurrette Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 12:15am
post #7 of 11

The salt does work as a preservative. As told by my health inspector its the sugar that is the preservative. You decide what you feel is best.
Good luck

Busia77 Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 12:18am
post #8 of 11

Q. Why is salt a good food preservative?

A. Salt is considered antibacterial because it restricts bacterial growth in many foods. It preserves foods by lowering the amount of "free" water molecules in foods. Bacteria need moisture in order to thrive, so without enough "free" water, they cannot grow well in foods that contain salt.

Source: Excerpted from FDA/CFSAN Food Safety A to Z Reference Guide, September 2001

psurrette Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 1:43am
post #9 of 11

How many people use salt in there buttercream? I never do, dont know why I just dont.

Busia77 Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 2:23am
post #10 of 11

Every buttercream recipe I've ever seen uses salt. And I usually use salted butter. Why is this such an issue for you?

Sugarbunz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbunz Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 4:14am
post #11 of 11

I only use about a teaspoon of salt to a recipe (and unsalted butter), not sure if that counts as enough to combat bacterial growth, but I've had my cakes sit out for a few days (I use water for the liquid) with no ill effects.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%