Dragonfly And Butterfly Cookies

Baking By sandy1 Updated 28 Mar 2007 , 2:44pm by sandy1

sandy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy1 Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 7:24pm
post #1 of 14

I've been asked to make cookies for a shower. These cookies will be used as favors. The woman wants dragon flies and butterflies. Does anyone know how to price these. I will be wrapping them individually and decorating them with royal icing. Is royal the best icing to use when doing cookies? I need to be able to make them ahead of time and pile them on top of each other. I'd appreciate any advice!!!!!
Sandy

13 replies
Lindsayu83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lindsayu83 Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 8:39pm
post #2 of 14

for stacking and wrapping I reccomend either royal icing or MMF decorated in royal. Pricing will depend on where you live. I charge about $3 each for favors. Some charge as much as $5 or 6.

kdkamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdkamp Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 8:46pm
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsayu83

for stacking and wrapping I reccomend either royal icing or MMF decorated in royal. Pricing will depend on where you live. I charge about $3 each for favors. Some charge as much as $5 or 6.

I agree. I would be around $3-5 depending on size and detail. I use RI. I plan on trying RBC this weekend. Never done it before.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 8:47pm
post #4 of 14

Hi Sandy!! Welcome to CC!! Glad to have you aboard!! icon_lol.gif

In answer to your questions, a general rule of thumb on cookie pricing is $1 per inch. So if your butterfly is made using a 5 inch cutter you would charge $5.00. Now this is only a general rule, but many here on CC use it effectively. You can always give discounts if you're feeling generous too...icon_rolleyes.gif

For your icing, that's really a personal choice. I'm a big fan of Royal icing, but not everyone is as it does dry hard. Poured fondant is supposed to set firmly enough for stacking but not rock hard like royal icing. Many here on CC use marshmallow fondant (MMF) on their cookies with great success too.

Just a few ideas to help you out! Welcome again! icon_biggrin.gif

kissmycookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kissmycookie Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 9:50am
post #5 of 14

Sandy,

I did some MMF with royal accents butterflies last night, I should have photos up by today. There is so much you can do with MMF with inserts and accents, daughter even did stripes and I was worried that might not look so great but they turned out well? We also use thinned jam undercoats on our cookies to attach the MMF, so you get extra flavor too. Raspberry with the chocolate fondant is my fave .

kissmycookie Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 5:22pm
post #6 of 14

Sandy here is the photo I promised you
LL

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 9:13pm
post #7 of 14

Those are beautiful!!!! So you used a teardrop-shaped cutter to cut out and then put in another color? They are just beautiful. I have a small teardrop cutter that came with my awareness ribbon cookie cutter. I bet that would work. Such a neat idea. I am just in love with fondant and RI details like you did. I like the colors you chose as well.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 10:56pm
post #8 of 14

Those butterflies are GORGEOUS!!!

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 11:10pm
post #9 of 14

Great job thumbs_up.gif

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 3:55am
post #10 of 14

Beautiful cookies!

kissmycookie Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 4:05am
post #11 of 14

gosh thanks everyone, you're so kind !!

yes we used a teardrop and I can't take credit for the colors, my daughter picked those out of what we had in our fondant already colored. we do tend to use what's on hand each day though, less work ! today was a banner day, we shipped to six states and 11 dozen cut-out's !

sandy1 Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 2:43pm
post #12 of 14

The butterflies are just gorgeous!!!! I'll have to check the recipe section to see if I can find out how to make MMF. I have never used it. Does it dry hard enough to be able to stack the cookies on top of each other? If it does, how long does it take to harden?
Again those cookies are just beautiful!
Sandy

sandy1 Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 2:44pm
post #13 of 14

The butterflies are just gorgeous!!!! I'll have to check the recipe section to see if I can find out how to make MMF. I have never used it. Does it dry hard enough to be able to stack the cookies on top of each other? If it does, how long does it take to harden?
Sandy

sandy1 Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 2:44pm
post #14 of 14

Sandy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%