Striped Chocolate How To?

Decorating By handymama Updated 27 Mar 2007 , 2:19pm by Katskakes

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 2:47pm
post #1 of 6

In the spring 2006 edition of Better Homes and Gardens Creative Collection WEDDINGS (all yellow front cover), on pgs. 86-87 there is a cake by Cecile Gady of Cakework in San Fransisco. The description calls it "her signature striped chocolate" that "wraps on a three-layer wedding cake rendered in shades of olive green and cream. My daughter loves everything about it and wants it for her groom's cake. She's sure I must know how to make it; I don't! I know how to stripe chocolate in two shades to roll into "pencils", but have no clue how this is done. Is it hopeless??

5 replies
mendhigurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mendhigurl Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 3:12pm
post #2 of 6

No, not hopeless, but I would say adventurous. icon_smile.gif The chocolate used is chocolate clay tinted in different colors. It's used exactly like fondant, except a little harder to work with. I'm pretty sure how it works is, you make the wanted colors of the chocolate clay, place the "stripes" next to one another, and then using a pasta machine run in through to get your striped piece. I think it's a lot easier said than done. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of posts about chocolate clay, and maybe even on chocolate wraps, you'll just have to do some searches. I'm excited to see pics of this cake! Good luck!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 7:52pm
post #3 of 6

I can't see the cake, but here are some directions for cake striping, maybe it's what you're looking for.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=21858&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 2:12am
post #4 of 6

7yyrt--that looks like it would do it. Thanks!

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 12:53pm
post #5 of 6

I don't know the perticular cake you are speaking of. But it sounds to me like a chocolate wrap. Try www.beryls.com and see if she has the print you are looking for. Basically for a chocolate wrap you just cut the transfer sheet to the height of your cake then spread you melted chocolate over it let set up slightly (needs to be flexible yet) and wrap around the cake. Very easy and very impressive.

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 2:19pm
post #6 of 6

There's a few posts about this. In one of those posts someone posted this link: http://pastrychef.com/Catalog/three_color_pastry_comb_1026496.htm

It's a pastry comb that will help doing the multi-color chocolate wrap.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%