Question About What I Should Learn In Wilton Course 1

Decorating By WebDiva Updated 18 Mar 2006 , 1:46am by kaecakes

WebDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WebDiva Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 4:21pm
post #1 of 23

Hello all. This is my first post here, but I've already gotten plenty of wonderful information from this site! Thanks to everyone! icon_smile.gif

I started Wilton Course 1 last night. This is not my first cake decorating class, but I wanted to start here to brush up and to get aquainted with the Wilton method. After going to the class last night, I have a few questions.

Was the instructor supposed to show us any techniques or anything? All she did was tell us what we will need for the class, what to bring next week and took us through the Wilton aisle (this was at Michaels) to show us what to buy.

We have to bring an already iced cake next week. She didn't say how to do this, so I tried to ask for some tips on icing a cake. There are some people in the class who have absolutely no experience with cakes and had no clue what to do. Basically, she said to give her a call if you need help (she gave out phone numbers to reach her).

She told us to make the snow white buttercream from Wilton (not the class buttercream that is in the Course 1 book because she said it doesn't give the right consistancy). We are to use that to ice our cakes (in blue -- and she didn't explain how to do this either) and then bring in the rest in different consistancies. I wasn't lost because like I said I've already taken another cake decorating class, but there were plenty of people who had no idea what she was talking about.

The class even ended about 1/2 hour early and there was so much commotion that I asked if we were learning anything else. She said no, and I left. Is this how the class was supposed to go?

22 replies
iceberg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iceberg Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 4:26pm
post #2 of 23

I was lucky enough to have a great instructor....The first class we didn't do much ourselves but she showed us how to make the class buttercream and how to get the different consistancies. She demonstrated icing the cake and explained what to expect while icing the cake (crumbs in the crumb coat).

It doesn't sound as if your instructor is very thourough....just my thoughts from what you said.

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 4:27pm
post #3 of 23

Did she demonstrate on how to level. torte and ice a cake?

scWMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scWMI Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 4:28pm
post #4 of 23

Sounds like your instructor is doing a rush job on the class. I'm a WMI myself and I had a course 1 begin last night. I usually go over all the supplies, make icing in all 3 consistencies (stiff, meduim, and thin) and show each one to the students. I also ice a cake and show them how to smooth it using parchment paper, and I still walk them to the Wilton aisle and help them shop and answer any questions they may have. Not sure if your instructor is new, or just trying to get through class in a hurry....I've been an instructor for just over 5 years and I've never finished a half hour early the first night. I usually run about 15 mins OVER BEFORE we ever get to the Wilton aisle. (I also work for Michael's so I am very familiar with the way these classes are supposed to run.) Not to make the other instructor look bad, but I'm not sure what they might have been thinking.

Chris

Devonee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Devonee Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 4:34pm
post #5 of 23

I just took course 1 this month and my instructor did all the things iceberg and scWMI talked about. Looks like you got sombody who was in a hurry or just not very thorough.

Euphoriabakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Euphoriabakery Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 4:36pm
post #6 of 23

Sound like you got a bum teacher! The first class your teacher is supposed to demonstrate making buttercream ( the Wilton class buttercream) Damming and filling a cake, icing a cake and then decorating a cake. She is supposed to decorate the cake like you will decorate your final cake in the class. With a rose bouquet, simple borders and writing.

That would explain why you got out early, she didn't do the demo!

My teacher let us do any pattern transfer we wanted and we didn't have to make the same cake in the book. You can see my Wilton class cakes in my gallery pics. The first one I did has three flowers on it filled in with stars. But it sounds like you will be making the rainbow cake. Blue background with a rainbow on it. It is a pattern transfer done with piping gel. You should also go over some basic borders and the base of your rose. Did she give you the course book? Maybe you can look through that for some info on what you will be doing.

Good luck! I feel sorry for those in your class that have no experience with decorating!

WebDiva Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 4:40pm
post #7 of 23

We did none of those things! We just talked. There was no cake, no icing, nothing. We just took notes! I asked her how to get my icing really smooth and she just said "don't let the spatula touch the cake".

She said that she is just getting back into instructing for Wilton, after stopping about 2 years ago.

Hmm, now I'm worried. I wonder will I learn anything in this class. icon_sad.gif

WebDiva Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 4:49pm
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoriabakery

Sound like you got a bum teacher! The first class your teacher is supposed to demonstrate making buttercream ( the Wilton class buttercream) Damming and filling a cake, icing a cake and then decorating a cake. She is supposed to decorate the cake like you will decorate your final cake in the class. With a rose bouquet, simple borders and writing.

That would explain why you got out early, she didn't do the demo!

My teacher let us do any pattern transfer we wanted and we didn't have to make the same cake in the book. You can see my Wilton class cakes in my gallery pics. The first one I did has three flowers on it filled in with stars. But it sounds like you will be making the rainbow cake. Blue background with a rainbow on it. It is a pattern transfer done with piping gel. You should also go over some basic borders and the base of your rose. Did she give you the course book? Maybe you can look through that for some info on what you will be doing.

Good luck! I feel sorry for those in your class that have no experience with decorating!

Nope, we didn't get ANY sort of demo. icon_mad.gif We just sat around talking the entire time.

Yes, we are doing the rainbow cake. She said we could do another pattern if we want though.

I have been looking through the book. I don't think I will have any problems next week, but I think that some of the others likely will.

vitade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitade Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 6:19pm
post #9 of 23

Yes, I'm an instructor aswell and the first night is all demo and going over night 2 . Yikes, I hate to not support a fellow instructor but... I worry what your experience will be.

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 6:34pm
post #10 of 23

Last month, I vented in here about MY first experience with Wilton 1 and the rush job I thought MY instructor did. She had us out after not even an hours classtime! I felt really ripped off. I gave her the benefit of the doubt, kept my fingers crossed and finished the classes quite pleased. I was still unable to make roses to my satisfaction.

I started Wilton 2 last night and was a little P.O.'d when we got to making the rosebud and the instructor told us that she didn't really know how to make them! Can you believe it? So the whole class pretty much winged it, doing our best with NO help from her. My daughter managed to get it down, and after quite awhile, a few of us other girls got one that sort of looked like a rosebud. Then she went on to tell us, she didn't really know how to do the Mums! I am really getting madder by the minute as I type this.

My friend, who is taking the class too, checked into the other Michael's close by to see about their instructor. She knew a girl that took Course ! there, and this girl had a worse experience than we did. So we're back at this one.

I guess we're just going to tough it out and hopefully we can master what we are supposed to learn. I DID tell the instructor that I will NOT leave Course 2 without knowing how to do the Wilton rose. She said "No problem" LOL What a joke!

I hope your classes get better. Good luck. icon_smile.gif

Darstus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darstus Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 6:50pm
post #11 of 23

I am a Wilton instructor and it amazes me when I hear these stories. I am also sure that Wilton would not like it if they knew this was going on. Course One is the beginner's course and regardless of the experience of those attending, it should be held as just that...a beginner's course. They should be demonstrating how to make the icing, the consistencies, leveling a cake, etc. The course book is layed out to be followed by the instructor. I would certainly visit the Wilton web site and let them know whenever someone has this type of experience. I feel that Wilton does try very hard to design a good program to teach cake decorating and those of us who are instructors should make every effort to make the experience for students a successful and pleasant one!

scWMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scWMI Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 7:11pm
post #12 of 23

I completely agree with Darstus on this one. Please don't let these two instructors spoil you on the Wilton method. Most of the instructors make sure everyone has at least a basic understanding of everything before htey leave each course. Sorry your roses didn't quite turn out the way you want them, but it does take a lot of pratice. I usually tell my students the last night of class that while the rose is the most popular flower in cake decorating, it is also one of the hardest ones to master. That usually gets a sigh of relief from everyone. I stress that the important thing is to keep practicing and that 99% of my students have the rose licked by the end of course 2.

PS Darstus..are you on the WMI group in yahoo? just wondering.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 7:21pm
post #13 of 23

I am a brand new WMI (what is the yahoo thng??) I just did my 1st class of course I last night (this is my 2nd set of course I). I made the class buttercream, and then passed it around as stiff, medium and thin consistencys and had each student stir it and see what it is supposed to be. I them demonstrated how to torte, crumb coat, and then ice and decorate the cake. We discussed each step as we went, and then we go to the Wilton section of the store. I use up the entire time, and have gone over too.

I would contact Wilton and tell them that you have an instructor that is not providing you with the proper class. They can't do anything if they don't know about it.

It stinks that you don't have one who is doing the class properly. The one who I had was wonderful, and that is what made me decide to teach also!

Smoochiefrog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smoochiefrog Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 7:21pm
post #14 of 23

That sounds EXACTLY like my Wilton I first class. I would agree with making the Snow White Buttercreme though, it's awesome and sooooooooooooo easy to tint. To dye the icing, take a toothpick and pick up the color of the dye you want to use and drip it into a small amount of icing you have pulled out of your big batch-unless you want to dye the whole batch. Stir vigorously and add more color if needed. You can always go darker, but going lighter isn't quite so easy! (My thanks to the Wilton White stuff that bleached my shirt out!) My instructor even said the same thing about icing the cake "don't let the spatula touch the cake". I use the HUGE tip to ice, it's soooooooo much easier! Good luck and don't worry too much, you'll be alright!

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 8:13pm
post #15 of 23

I agree with you on the rose being difficult to master. I WILL get it with more practice, I am sure. I hate to bash my instructor. She's a real sweet lady who I believe sincerely wants us to succeed.

I feel that she is TOO supportive in my results so far. She always says' "Oh, that looks good!" Full of praise, when I think I would benefit more from constructive criticism. It's like she doesn't want to hurt my feelings! LOL

While I appreciate that, I would get more out of it if she took a little extra time trying to HELP and not just pass by and say it's done well. I AM enjoying the classes and feel I will come out knowing TONS more than I did going in.

Good luck to everyone taking these courses. I commend all of the instructors on this site who truly CARE what their students learn. You guys are the best! Thanks for listening (reading).

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 8:18pm
post #16 of 23

You are paying good money to attend these classes. I would to to the Wilton website (www.wilton.com), and I would contact someone about the lack of instruction you received. My Course I, class 1, was very informative, with the instructor demonstrating making the icing, doing the cake, and decorating it as the final will look. Honey, you got rooked! If your second class stinks as much, then you should REALLY complain to Wilton. BTW, did she give you her phone number and/or e-mail address? You should be able to contact her with any questions on what you need to do. Good luck!

deb

Darstus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darstus Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 9:05pm
post #17 of 23

scWMI: I am on the yahoo group thing.
Quadcrew: There is a yahoo group for Wilton WMIs to ask questions and share information related to teaching the Wilton Method Cake Decorating. You have to submit a request to join and be approved. This is only sue to it being open to WMI only. I will PM you the web site where I think you can apply.
For those of you taking Wilton courses, please contact Wilton if you feel your instructor is not following what is expected from her. As instructors, we go to seminars where we are treated almost like students. They go through everything they have developed in the course books. Even the most basic things. I believe that is the same as is expected from us. So go and get what ya paid for!!!

vitade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitade Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 10:45am
post #18 of 23

It's disappointing to hear that some of you have not enjoyed your classes. I agree, you should contact Wilton, the problem can't be fixed if it's not brought to their attention.

I will say as long as I KNOW my students have the right information on how to do something, unfortunately, it can't be perfected(?) in class. I tell them practice, practice, practice.

WebDiva Posted 16 Mar 2006 , 8:01pm
post #19 of 23

Had my second class last night. Nearly everyone was lost in the beginning because last week she gave us a list of items we needed for the next class. Everyone went by this instead of what was in the book. Beginning of the class she said that we should have gone by the book. icon_confused.gif But after we got that all sorted out, the class went ok. I won't say that it was too informative, but I had a good time. Still not sure I'm going to take the next class if it is with her.

chocomama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocomama Posted 16 Mar 2006 , 10:37pm
post #20 of 23

Holy, crap! icon_surprised.gif Where you in my class?? I swear, I had to look at the date of your post to see that you weren't! You might even find a post or 2 here where I wrote almost exactly the same thing. Class 2 was better for me but not much. Hope yours is. Sorry.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 18 Mar 2006 , 12:49am
post #21 of 23

im also a WMI, and im the person other WMI need to contact to join the wilton only board, so PM me.
I agree, Wilton needs to know about these teachers. We have a workbook to follow so there are no excuses for these sorry teachers. Complain to Wilton and look else where for the classes.

Mslou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mslou Posted 18 Mar 2006 , 1:01am
post #22 of 23

I am a WMI since August 2005. I NEVER get done early. We ran over 45 minurtes last night because some of the ladies didn't have their course 3 lesson 2 cakes iced or even have their fondant purchased. I can't imagine even finishing on time. I think I am too easy. I stay and help them if they are having trouble. We have a time line that we are suppose to follow, but sometimes things are more difficult for some. I am sorry you are having a hard time. I hope you complain to the store EC, because we don't need instructors that don't want to be there. It is all about having a good time and learning to decorate.

kaecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaecakes Posted 18 Mar 2006 , 1:46am
post #23 of 23

I have been teaching for over 10 yrs. and I rarely get out early, I think there are 2 nights out of the 3 courses that I get out on time. I love teaching and always try to give the students what they pay for if not more. I would contact Wilton too, Hopefully that will help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%