Starburst Flowers And Humidity

Decorating By homemaluhia Updated 27 Mar 2007 , 2:13am by washipaper

homemaluhia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homemaluhia Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 7:34pm
post #1 of 8

Hi Everyone,
I've been intrigued by the starburst, tootsie roll and candy clay flower making ideas on CC. But when I try them the flowers never get firm. They just flop down to the surface of the table. Even in this flopped down state they don't firm up. Could it be that it's too humid here in Hawaii? Or are my starbursts stale?
Thank you!!

7 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 11:56pm
post #2 of 8

You can try putting them in the fridge for a few minutes. Once they harden, they 'should' stay in place.

washipaper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
washipaper Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 8:27am
post #3 of 8

I am in Okinawa, Japan. Not quite as nice as Hawaii but similar weather. I had the same problem with my tootsie roll roses - really soft and droopy. I tried the fridge, but when I took them out they got soft again and sweated. I just put the droppy tootsie roses on the cake and they looked quite nice. Try making the tighter, smaller rose than the bigger one with more petals. That helped with the droopiness.

Hope this helps.

Joan

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 8:04pm
post #4 of 8

It is the humidity - anything made from sugar gets sticky here very quickly. Gumpaste is about the only thing that will hold a shape, and even gumpaste gets soft if left out icon_cry.gif .

homemaluhia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homemaluhia Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 5:38pm
post #5 of 8

Thank you for your insights!! You are all so great to comment.
Aloha!

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 10:07pm
post #6 of 8

I guess I won't be trying it here either.

Oh well!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 10:13pm
post #7 of 8

Can anyone tell me how to make these flowers? I've heard about them many times but I'm not sure about how to make them.

washipaper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
washipaper Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 2:13am
post #8 of 8

Bob - easy, easy, easy. I bought a bag of minature TR to use.

I held a couple of the TR's in my hand to soften them up. I would place a third one close to my body (in the wrapper of course) to start softening while I worked with the first two.

1. Make a center bud like you would do for gumpaste or BC roses out of a piece of chocolate. I can't give you a size because it is what works for you.

2. I take a small piece of the TR and flatten it with my fingers until it is about the size of a quarter. Wrap it around the center bud - it sticks to itself no glue required. You will need to roll or curl the petals to imitate a real rose petal. Continue adding petals until you have a rose that you like.

I did find an article on Chocolate Roses that gives a recipe using using semisweet chocolate and corn syrup. The article states that the "roses will harden after a few days and can be saved by storing in a cool dry place." I did not find this to be true of the TR roses.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/candy/chocolateroses.htm

Hope this helps.

Joan

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%