I Need Scroll Help!!!

Decorating By mommabuda Updated 1 Apr 2007 , 7:02pm by mommabuda

mommabuda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabuda Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 2:32am
post #1 of 24

Ugh! Can someone just drive here and do this cake for me? Pretty please!!! Okay, the first picture is what the bride wants on her cake. But she wants a square cake so that each tier is raised above the other just a little bit... it'll be 4 tiers. So I did a practice 8" square cake today to see how the scrolls work out for me. Well, I HATE THEM! Okay, the cake that she wants, I just don't like the scrolling on it. Do you think she would really notice if I did simpler ones? Here are the pictures:
#1 is the cake she wants it to be like
#2 is my "attempt" to do the design she wants (don't mind the crappy ice job, this was just a practice cake!)
#3 is the picture of the scrolls that I would feel much more comfortable doing and I think would look better
Basically I think if I do the more complicated scrolling like the one in the picture, it's going to be one big one on the top, 2 on the 2nd tier, 3 on the 3rd tier... does that make sense? I'm really worried about getting them positioned right and being almost identical on each tier and each side... what do you think?
LL
LL
LL

23 replies
ncbert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncbert Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 2:49am
post #2 of 24

I like the second pic!.....I guess #3 ,sorry...the one you like also!

Kazoot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kazoot Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 2:55am
post #3 of 24

I like the bottom one, too. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 2:56am
post #4 of 24

Do you have the Wilton set of scroll presses? They are very good for marking an imprint on your icing for you to follow. I've used them and like them alot. icon_smile.gif

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 2:58am
post #5 of 24

I cant copy scrolls for anything. I had to buy the scroll presses from Wilton.

mommabuda Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 3:05am
post #6 of 24

No, I don't have them, I'll have to look into getting them... I've used the letter presses and really didn't care for them but thanks to those that liked #3... do you think she would really be able to tell that I didn't follow her picture exactly?

thecupcakemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecupcakemom Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 3:15am
post #7 of 24

She will definitely be able to tell you did not make the same scrolls. But, she may not care. It's probably more important to be upfront w/ her ahead of time and send her the pix you posted so she can see the difference. I'm not one to suggest the clients should critique practice cakes, but if she asked you to do a specific design then it's important to provide the cake as promised unless you let her know ahead of time. HTH. I hate doing cakes I don't want to do. I just got an order for Pooh. Ick. icon_rolleyes.gif

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 3:22am
post #8 of 24

I think your version is very different that the bride's desired design. Some people have an eye for detail and if she has one she will definitely notice. I wouldn't take the chance of upsetting the bride.

Have you tried making your own stencil? I would try to freehand it and then do the pin and wax paper trick. Then each scroll would be the same like the picture. The scroll presses would be a very good idea too.

Sugarbean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbean Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 3:34am
post #9 of 24

Ok...if you have

1) a Printer
2) some plastic vinyl from walmart (dirty cheap)
3) a glue gun.

You can do it!!

First print off the picture enlarged, so that the scroll is the size you want.

Second, take a piece of vinyl 5" x 12" or so, and place it over the picture.

Third, trace out the scroll (only one scroll) with the glue gun and let it dry.

The voila!! press into the side of the cake for an impression, and then copy that with your BC

icon_smile.gif

Peachshortcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachshortcake Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 10:34am
post #10 of 24

Sugarbean that is such a great idea. I would have never been able to think of something like that.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 10:45am
post #11 of 24

very cool ... I bet u could do any kind of impression like that....like doing almost a FBCT...except without the FBC lol Great idea!!!! Thumbs up for you!

Christi

didavista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didavista Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 10:59am
post #12 of 24

Sugarbean what an awesome idea for that technique!!! I wouldn't have thought of anything like that in a million years.....I guess that is why I love CC, to learn from you guys.

For the scroll I would try again to do hers (using a great new technique), or just let her know that you want to do something different.

DesignerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignerCakes Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 11:09am
post #13 of 24

OMG, what a GREAT idea!! Scrolling has been my worst nightmare. If a bride were to ask me to do those scrolls on her cake, I'd be sweating months in advance. I love the idea of making your own impression mat! Thanks so much for the awesome tip. Gotta love this place and the very talented (and generous) people that make it what it is...an amazing resource.

LeeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeAnn Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 11:17am
post #14 of 24

I think this kind of work definetly needs practice and I also think you are not copying the design it looks more like indian scroll/ relax and get a tilting cake stand to work on.....good luck

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 11:26am
post #15 of 24

I just recieved one of these mats, and have not had time to try it, but it is REALLY great.....The scrolls are just beautiful, and they have alot to choose from....... from single up to 5..... the mats are sturdy and well defined.... CAN"T wait to try it........

http://stores.ebay.com/Sweet-Expressions-Silicone-Molds

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 11:52am
post #16 of 24

Also, try a smaller tip. #2 maybe and they will look more delicate.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 2:09pm
post #17 of 24

Are you trying to do them in one stroke?
It might be better to try starting at one end ending in the middle, then meet it from the other end. There is a little frill at the junction to cover the join. That could give you more control.

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 4:30pm
post #18 of 24

Sugarbean,
That's a wonderful idea with the hot glue gun. I'm dying to try it. If I have a steady enough hand, that could save a lot of $$.
Thx!!

mommabuda Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 6:30pm
post #19 of 24

Thanks for the tips... I'm going to buy that one off eBay since I love the design. I would try the hot glue idea but I can't draw to begin with so I'm scared it wouldn't turn out. Thanks everyone!

DesignerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignerCakes Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 7:22pm
post #20 of 24

Try enlarging a photograph, or scanning it and blowing it up on your computer then printing it out. Tape the page to your kitchen counter, then trace over the design using parchment paper or something similar. Then you can create your own stencil.

The_Parsons_Wife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Parsons_Wife Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 12:09am
post #21 of 24

You have some good ideas already, I second your tip size, needs to be smaller. The scroll itself needs to be smaller in general. I think the scrolls are certainly a different design...so don't change it. I would second printing it out...maybe even do the scrolls onto parchment paper with RI and place onto the cake when dry...then you can pipe right onto the scroll pattern. Post your finished project...look forward to seeing your end artwork!

mommabuda Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 6:41pm
post #22 of 24

Okay... I got that press in the mail and had to try it out today... I really wasn't happy with it to be honest... it is pretty tall and doesn't really fit on my cakes... I had to cut it down to make the design fit... anyways, I sorta cut it apart and made 2 seperate stencils. I did 3 different combinations on each side of this cake. Now this is a 6" cake and will be the top layer to the wedding cake I have to do. I would repeat this same pattern on the next layers (the one underneath this would be an 8"-2 times and then 10"-3 times then 12"-4 times) Does that make sense? Okay... I want to know which combination looks the best to you... I think with the one just all alone looks really bare but I'm not sure if I should use the one with 2 of the little side things or just one... let me know your opinion and thanks ahead of time!!!

Oh yeah, I also posted the one of the cake it's kinda supposed to resemble... just for an idea... thanks!
LL
LL
LL
LL

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 6:55pm
post #23 of 24

Wow, sugarbean, that's a great idea!

I also think you should check with the client before you change the scrolls. I know if it were me, I would be disappointed if you changed it.

Remember the good old practice boards. You don't need to practice on a cake........ Just print out some detailing of the scrolls, put it under your practice sheet and you can practice any old time!

mommabuda Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 7:02pm
post #24 of 24

True... I just like to practice on an actual cake... I wanted to see what would fit too... as for the scrolls I think they're much closer now to the original cake than before... I also have to get this color right... I've been using just red but if I add a little burgundy, would that do it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%