Making Chocolate Roses

Decorating By trace0011 Updated 21 Apr 2007 , 10:52pm by Tramski

trace0011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trace0011 Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 1:20am
post #1 of 12

Do you make chocolate roses the same way you would make a gumpaste rose? what do you use to stick the petals together? Thank you

11 replies
luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvscakes Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 1:39am
post #2 of 12

do you mean from choclate clay? If so, all you do is make small disk shapes in various sizes, and add them to a cone shaped center. You need no glue or anyhting. Think of it like play dough. Only don't handle it too much, it will melt and get really gooey, then let dry. I do mine in a flower former or cut up paper towel center.

luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvscakes Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 1:39am
post #3 of 12

do you mean from choclate clay? If so, all you do is make small disk shapes in various sizes, and add them to a cone shaped center. You need no glue or anyhting. Think of it like play dough. Only don't handle it too much, it will melt and get really gooey, then let dry. I do mine in a flower former or cut up paper towel center.

washipaper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
washipaper Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 1:57am
post #4 of 12

I used tootsie rolls to make some chocolate roses. I cut small bits off and thinned each piece to appox. the size of a quarter. I made a base similar to a Hershey Kiss. The petals just attached.

I did find that the petals will droop in at room temp so I put them in the fridge. But that created another problem. When I took them out the roses were nice and hard, but quickly became soft and sweated. No matter though. I used them on top of a simple chocolate cake and people thought it was purchased from a bakery.

Hope this helps. Joan

Tramski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tramski Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 1:10am
post #5 of 12

Does the chocolate clay feel like fondant when you are working on it? I was thinking about trying this but I have never used chocolate clay before. Could you use the fondant rose set to try to make them?

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 3:15am
post #6 of 12

I use the All In One or Easy Rose cutter and assemble just as I would gumpaste.

Tramski Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 3:12pm
post #7 of 12

Thank you Shirley, I was going to ry these next weekend and I was hoping I could use the cutouts I already had. I'll give it a try and post some pictures when I am done! Yay, I love this stuff!

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 12:04am
post #8 of 12

I've never heard of an All In One or Easy Rose cutter. Is it easier? What does it look like?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 12:42am
post #9 of 12

If you don't have an easy rose cutter, and you have access to Mich Turner's book "Spectacular Cakes" she does chocolate roses out of chocolate clay which can be duplicated with tootsie rolls. The easy rose cutter is a light pink 5 petal cutter. If I find a link to one, I'll post it (I bought mine at the local cake shop.)

middysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
middysmom Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 9:36pm
post #10 of 12

is there a web site that explains how to make a chocolate rose out of clay and how do you color them i would appreciate your help thanks dorothy from tenn

lovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovely Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 9:56pm
post #11 of 12

Hi,
This is where I got my chocolate rose practice from.
http://whatscookingamerica.net/Candy/ChocolateRoses.htm
Hope this helps,
Leigh

Tramski Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 10:52pm
post #12 of 12

I need some help, I followed the directions on http://whatscookingamerica.net.....eRoses.htm and after letting it sit for the allotted time I came back to find a brick of chocolate that crumbles when I try to do anything with it. Any idea on what I can try on my next batch or what I did wrong on this one?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%