Copyright - Can't Even Draw Freehand A Licensed Character!

Decorating By Joshsmom Updated 24 Mar 2007 , 6:42pm by gilpnh

Joshsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joshsmom Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 6:28pm
post #1 of 20

I know that this has been touched on SEVERAL times in our forums but what I found interesting is we cannot use any licensed character even if drawn free-hand unless we pay royalty fees. icon_eek.gif I found this browsing around on several cake decorating supply websites.

[quote]A note from Wilton Enterprises on copyright issues

LICENSING GUIDELINES ON PRODUCT USE

All licensed character shaped cake pans, candy molds and cookie cutters are for consumer home use only. Stores/shops cannot make cakes, cookies or candies from our licensed products and sell them to consumers. These "mold making items" are strictly prohibited for any type of commercial use since the licensor has neither the method to control the quality of the reproduction of the character nor the ability to earn royalties on sales of the "finished" product. This applies to both baked and craft type products.

Free-hand or copied character designs cannot be drawn or iced on top of a cake, cupcakes, or cookies and sold for any type of commercial purpose.
Once again, the licensor cannot control the quality and is not earning a royalty on the product created around their character.

Licensed pans cannot be rented to consumers by stores since the licensor is not earning a royalty from the transaction.

Generally, creating any type of image that looks like a licensed character that is sold for commercial purposes is prohibited unless there is a specific licensing agreement with the licensor for that product and royalties are paid each time the product is sold

Quote:
Quote:

19 replies
nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 6:39pm
post #2 of 20

Yep. And as mara used to say, "making a pink dinosaur doesn't stop it from being Barney".

msmanning2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmanning2 Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 6:39pm
post #3 of 20

I totally understand the policy, but that totally STINKS!!!!!!!!!!

29apr00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
29apr00 Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 6:49pm
post #4 of 20

Not that i'm about to become a professional baker or anything, but what would it cost to get the licensing agreement? Are we talking thousands of dollars??

rosiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecakes Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 6:53pm
post #5 of 20

You can make them you just can't SELL them.

29apr00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
29apr00 Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 7:47pm
post #6 of 20

So bake the cake and throw in the decorations for free! icon_wink.gif

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 8:05pm
post #7 of 20

'throw in the decorations for free' isn't going to protect you either. If your trade money or barter for the copied design, you have 'stolen' the character. Many people do it, but I won't risk my business.

The best you can do is purchase the toys or likeness and use that. The companies are protecting the 'image' of the character.

kbrown99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbrown99 Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 8:33pm
post #8 of 20

Where do the edible images fit in all this copyright mess?

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 8:39pm
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrown99

If you buy the edible image it is ok, if you print it yourself, it is still considered stealing

kbrown99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbrown99 Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 8:42pm
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrown99

If you buy the edible image it is ok, if you print it yourself, it is still considered stealing

Is there any way to make sure people you buy the images from are authorized to sell them?

gilpnh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilpnh Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 9:25pm
post #11 of 20

Typically cake or grocery stores that sell them should carry an agreement, if they do not, their supplier should.

Mizzou Tigers is big here and I looked into doing cakes, etc for it. I called the university, tracked down the right people. $100 application fee, 8% of goods sold. Doable if you had a huge honkin order.

When it comes to character or licensened theme cakes, I typically make the background and the customer purchases the characters. My castle cake in the photos I have done a few times, customer bought the disney princesses and placed them on the cake, My Little Poney is hearts and butterflies and rainbows, "generic" customer bought the ponies to place on top. Same with Cars, generic desert, road, they placed the car.

All of my clients have been more than happy with this arrangement and no one has given me a hard time over it.

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 9:40pm
post #12 of 20

How clever

MrsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMom Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 4:13pm
post #13 of 20

OK, I don't mean to single anyone out by any means. I just found this cake in the gallery and was wondering what the "rules" would be on something like this:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-photo-202013.html

mthiberge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mthiberge Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 5:00pm
post #14 of 20

Thanks for the info!

gilpnh Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 6:17pm
post #15 of 20

Bert & Ernie are licensed characters, as long as you make it for your own family or give it away you are fine. The minute you sell it, barter it, or donate it with the INTENT to drum up business, ie have your business cards there, etc. You are copyright infringing. I believe it starts with about a 2,500K fine. IRS is very picky about this sort of thing. if it is the property of someone else and they have gone to trouble to copoyright it, it belongs to them and they are due any financial gain.

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 6:29pm
post #16 of 20

What about the pans that are shapped to look like Micky Mouse and so on? You buy the pan, they surely don't think a person will buy the pan and then not make the cake????

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 6:30pm
post #17 of 20

Let's say you are a professional with a website and you make a cake for your kid that is a spiderman bust. Is it copyright infringement just having it on your website? Even if you say that you can't make one but it shows your work??

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 6:31pm
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Quote:

What about the pans that are shapped to look like Micky Mouse and so on? You buy the pan, they surely don't think a person will buy the pan and then not make the cake????

You can make the cake you can't sell it...family children etc.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 6:32pm
post #19 of 20

Wow! this is all great information! And IT IS TRUE! My grandmother prints business cards, stationary, greetings cards from her home and she has her own site and sells on Ebay. Well, she had been doing it for a while with things like Betty Boop, NFL stuff, and celebrities photos...she got an email warning her that if she didn't take that stuff off she would get a fine! She did take it off but, yes...it was because she was selling. They give you a brief warning and then they can do anything after that!
Great Topic! thumbs_up.gif

gilpnh Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 6:42pm
post #20 of 20

Even if you did a spidermant bust for you kid, if you put it on your PROFESSIONAL, key work here, website, any reasonable person (that is how it is worded in court) could construe that you are selling it. So unless it is a personal website, no.

Thats right, just because you buy the pan, it does not give you license to resell the likeness. Licensed character pans are for "home" use only.

I almost cannot stand to go to craft fairs anymore becuase the MAJORITY of people are selling work that is clearly licensedand I play by the rules.. I asked one lady about her handpainted grinch ornaments and she said something to the effect of "as long as it isnt EXACTLY alike" Horse Pucky. The standard is.....

If any resonable person (ie the judge!) or jury can tell that what you have does is a reasonable likeness, it is infrigement.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%