Mmf Coloring Problem Please Help Asap

Decorating By rachpizano Updated 24 Mar 2007 , 12:28am by kissmycookie

rachpizano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachpizano Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 5:13pm
post #1 of 12

Hi guys I need some help!!
I love using MMF but every time I go to color it a deep/dark color the MMF just falls apart no matter what I do. It like crumbs apart. I roll it out at all! What am I doing wrong?? I need some help.
Thanks
RMPIZANO

11 replies
projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 5:28pm
post #2 of 12

Sounds like it might be too dry.

Sometimes if I need a very dark color, I make a small batch and add the color right to the melted marshmallows before I add the ps.

I use:

1 cup mini marshmallows
1 Tablespoon water

Melt in microwave safe bowl that has been lightly greased with Crisco. Add color and stir until the correct color is achieved. Then add sifted powdered sugar a little at a time until you get the correct consistency for the MMF (sort of like playdough consistency, maybe just a bit stiffer).

good luck.

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 5:34pm
post #3 of 12

I absolutely know what you mean I have had problems with red especially!! Have you added a bit of shortening to it?? sometimes I put it in a bowl...zap it in the microwave to resoften it.....add a bit of shortening and then hope for the best.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 5:35pm
post #4 of 12

This problem has been discussed quite a bit latley. I dont think anyone knows exactly why, but we're all pretty sure it has something to do with all the color being added.
The next time I need to make a dark color, my plan is to add some color to the melted marshmallows, then add more later on and just knead it in. Honestly, I think it has something to do with adding it to the melted marshamallows...I am thinkin' that kneading it in might make a difference.

Lalana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lalana Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 5:40pm
post #5 of 12

I ALWAYS have this problem even with light colors!!! I am SOOOO frustrated with MMF. My mom suggested corn syrup and it actually REALLY helped but you need to add TINY amts at a time or it will become too stretchy and fall off. I just kneaded it into my mush-mallow fondant. icon_lol.gif

mkerton Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 5:44pm
post #6 of 12

I also think it matters what kind of marshmellows you use, I seem to have better luck with name brand ones......could be in my head though.

Lalana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lalana Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 6:17pm
post #7 of 12

I did switch to the name brand mallows. Now I'm wondering if you need name brand Crisco too..... hmmmmm? This MMF sure seems to be picky stuff!

mkerton Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 6:20pm
post #8 of 12

I also dont put in all the powdered sugar that it calls for, I dont even measure anymore...just i knead it until it feels right. (I too try adding color into it while melting the marshmellows just so i dont have to knead it so much later).

jacksjoyce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jacksjoyce Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 6:25pm
post #9 of 12

I've never had any problem...but I'm wondering if adding candy coloring instead of food coloring would help? Just a thought!

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 6:26pm
post #10 of 12

...could be the sugar...do ya use beet sugar or pure cane...????

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 6:26pm
post #11 of 12

I had this (crumbly) experience when I added the color in while mixing the fondant, but not when I knead the color in after I've already made the fondant. I think it definitely makes a difference...I don't add it in early anymore.

kissmycookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kissmycookie Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 12:28am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkerton

I also think it matters what kind of marshmellows you use, I seem to have better luck with name brand ones......could be in my head though.

I agree with you, I think there is a big difference when you use kraft marshmallows !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%