How Do I Know If My Heavy Cream Has Gone Bad?

Decorating By Susecita Updated 5 Mar 2006 , 9:39pm by Cake_Princess

Susecita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susecita Posted 5 Mar 2006 , 7:04pm
post #1 of 9

I have a heavy cream in the fridge. Unopened. I believe I bought it about two weeks ago to make some chocolate ganache but hadn't gotten around to it. Im going to make ganache today....thoughts on how to figure out if this cream has gone bad?

8 replies
ShelbysYummys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelbysYummys Posted 5 Mar 2006 , 7:18pm
post #2 of 9

I don't mean to sound like a smart allic but have you checked the expiration date???

bbelias Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbelias Posted 5 Mar 2006 , 7:18pm
post #3 of 9

depending on how fresh it was when you bought it I would guess it is okay since it has not been oepned. Check the sell by date, smell it, look for the proper consistency (no lumps), if all else fails taste it . . . those are my only suggestions.

Susecita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susecita Posted 5 Mar 2006 , 7:48pm
post #4 of 9

Shelby, I should have written other than the expiration date since that one is the obvious choice. I wanted to know if there are other ways to tell mostly because ex dates are helpful but not the law. Thanks for the tips ladies!

-S

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 5 Mar 2006 , 7:52pm
post #5 of 9

yup, I would say taste it... icon_biggrin.gif

jlh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlh Posted 5 Mar 2006 , 7:58pm
post #6 of 9

This same thing always happens to me. Never enough time. My cream seems to last quite a long time. If it was only two weeks, I think you're more than good!!

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 5 Mar 2006 , 7:59pm
post #7 of 9

It seems to me most dairy products the smell will tell you pretty quick.

I've never been real sure about how to tell if sour cream is bad though! LOL Janice

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 5 Mar 2006 , 8:09pm
post #8 of 9

Taste it - if it tastes sour it's bad! Most dairy products, well refridgerated, will be fine a week or so past their sell-by dates.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 5 Mar 2006 , 9:39pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susecita

I have a heavy cream in the fridge. Unopened. I believe I bought it about two weeks ago to make some chocolate ganache but hadn't gotten around to it. Im going to make ganache today....thoughts on how to figure out if this cream has gone bad?

Does it smell bad??
Is it chunky??
Does it taste bad??

If you answer yes to any of the above pitch it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%