How Many Wahm's Here?

Lounge By wendysue Updated 11 Apr 2007 , 1:41pm by MichelleM77

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 2:23pm
post #1 of 23

Just curious how many of you are work at home moms and if so, what you do as a business?

I'm working from home, making money blogging, but think I'm going to find work outside the home this summer just to give me a social outlet away from the kidlets. icon_lol.gif

What about everyone else?

22 replies
jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 2:25pm
post #2 of 23

How do you make money blogging? How much do you average a month?

wendysue Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 3:28pm
post #3 of 23

It's not something you can start up over night, I've had several blogs that I've been grooming for over a year and a couple that are newer, but I earn money by contracting with advertisers to post on my blogs, affiliate programs, and Google Adsense.

A few of my blogs are listed below. If you want more information please PM me. I don't want to go into too much detail here. Adsense actually has a rule about not disclosing to others what you're earning. So, I couldn't share that with you, but with the posting I do for advertisers (not Adsense) I average anywhere from $150-$400 a month. Once I get my other blogs a little further along I expect that amount to increase.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 3:34pm
post #4 of 23

I was a SAHM of 4 but when my husband moved out, I had to start doing something for money...... icon_lol.gif so I sell vintage lingerie on eBay. It's too difficult to try and get babysitters for all the kids or I would get a regular job. I like working from home but sometimes have trouble staying focused...like now, for instance. I am here when I should be working ~ lol!

cookingfor5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookingfor5 Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 3:37pm
post #5 of 23

WendySue - I am going to PM you. I have looked at your blogs before and am interested in doing a blog of my own. I had never seen the Thomas Blog. That is great!

Meigan

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 4:32pm
post #6 of 23

I've been working at home since September. I'm a medical transcriptionist and lost my job in a hospital when it was outsourced. I love being at home and won't ever go back to working anywhere else. I used to work second shift because of some health issues that kept me at home in the a.m., so this works out perfect for me, and I am home when my son gets home from school and we can actually have family time!

MichelleM77 Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 1:38am
post #7 of 23

Anyone else?

wendysue Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 1:42am
post #8 of 23

I thought we'd have a better response here too!! Calling all WAHM's!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_razz.gificon_lol.gif

Anna31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anna31 Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 1:53pm
post #9 of 23

I am a work at home Mom to. I have two kids. I have my own cake business that keeps me pretty busy. Been doing that for about 3 years and I love it! This has been a good month, made almost $350. I don't do wedding cakes but am intrigued by the idea! I'm a bit scared of the whole "Bridezilla" thing though!! I have never had a customer dislike a cake of mine but a wedding cake is so important! I love that I can stay home with my kids. DH and I agree that this is best for our family right now. Staying busy, loving every minute of it! Anna

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 2:40pm
post #10 of 23

Me...

I homeschool our kids, do cakes, AND run my husband's and my growing company, which is two companies in one. We run one of the largest firewood delivery companies in the country, plus we ship house logs to log house builders in the area, so I'm full time at my desk handling all the scheduling, accounting, filing, phone, billing, mailing list for all 1200+ customers for spring brochure and Christmas cards, taking internet orders, etc.

The other side of our company is a tree nursery--we also grow and sell bare root and potted trees, and we contract for loading and hauling for other big nurseries in spring dig season (i.e. now...), so I'm plenty busy. Oh, and we rent equipment to other nurseries...

I Feel like I LIVE at my desk.

I also manage BOTH websites for our two companies (cakes and wood).

Oh, I just quit my other at-home job after 12 years of doing medical transcription from here...too many irons in the fire... icon_wink.gif

Also garden as much as possible and have 150 roses that I adore.

On a good day, I'll even cook and clean a little...haha!

MichelleM77 Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 3:14pm
post #11 of 23

[quote="homecook"]
Oh, I just quit my other at-home job after 12 years of doing medical transcription from here...too many irons in the fire... icon_wink.gif
quote]

Hello!! Nice to meet another MT!

Anna31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anna31 Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 3:35pm
post #12 of 23

Okay Homecook, I am not as busy as you are! Wow! You must be really organized and your cakes are amazing!

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 3:41pm
post #13 of 23

Thanks, and hello to another MT!

I guess I'm not happy unless I'm busy... icon_lol.gif LOL

I better get off here--I have to go out in the nursery and count aspen in the rain. Fun, fun...

willman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
willman Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 7:56pm
post #14 of 23

how about work at home dads,my wife and I do daycare for now cakes and catering are a side job

MichelleM77 Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 9:09pm
post #15 of 23

whoops! Welcome to the WAHD as well!

willman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
willman Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 10:34pm
post #16 of 23

thanks glad to be here!!!

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 1:30am
post #17 of 23

I also sort of work from home, I watch my niece and my sister pays me a little bit (enough to keep me in high speed internet, dish network tv and cell phones)! In April I will be watching my cousins baby as she is set to go back to work, so I will earn a bit more there as well.....I used to do accounting work from home (ie bank rec's and such) but the company I did that for eventually wanted it all done in house again (which was fine by me, I was really burned out).

Sugarbean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbean Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 3:33am
post #18 of 23

I WAHM...I have my own commercial kitchen. I run that, and my home, and keep my 2 kiddos out of trouble!

mom23kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom23kids Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 5:08pm
post #19 of 23

WOW..can't compete with ya'll. I'm a stay at home mom. I have 2 girls aged 13 and 3 and a son 10. I'm in the process of finding something to do from home as my 3yr old will go to preschool in the fall. I would love anything that would make me feel worthy again. It's hard finding a job with 3 kids who always seem to get sick in rotation. Can you imagine telling your boss you can't some in because now the 'other kid' is sick? The 13 yr old would be ok on her own, but I don't trust the 10 yr old and I have no family to leave him with......ARGH!!!! I look forward to finding something rewarding that pays the bills too....LOL

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 5:19pm
post #20 of 23

mom23kids....I hear you!!! My son is nearly 2 but I also watch my 5 year old niece (and soon to watch my 8 week old cousin).....and I already know all too well about rotating illnesses!!! I often wonder how working (outside the home that is) moms do it!! I recall one particular bug that had my son knocked out for a week!! There would go all my vacation time!! My plan for when my kids (providing I have more than the 1 I have) go to school is to try my hand at substitute teaching....I am not sure what the requirements are everywhere but in my area you only need an associates degree to sub teach (and I have a bachelors) that way, when the kids are sick, I dont have to accept a job....I think it takes awhile to start getting called regularly, but I plan to talk to my kids teachers and have them keep me in mind when they need a sub!

rlsaxe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlsaxe Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 12:11am
post #21 of 23

since I left teaching to stay at home with my infant son (daughter's in kindergarten), I am JUST about to sign a contract with an online travel agency, booking vacations and cruises (with a specialty in disney vacations).
I'm pretty excited about it. I'll also return part time to teaching in the fall....but for now, it's a change of pace to stay home.

Anyone need a vacation???

przgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
przgrl Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 2:53pm
post #22 of 23

I am a stay at home mom too! I have a daughter 7 yrs old and a 6 yr old son. I run a home daycare, 24/7 and do cakes on the side. I am also an independent consultant for Perfect Party by Cody,
www. perfectpartybycody.com/ultimateparties
It is really nice because some people in the area end up ordering a cake from me when they buy party supplies.
I think I might go back to work after the summer just because I start to go stir crazy being around kids all day and night, I need time with Adults, lol.

MichelleM77 Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 1:41pm
post #23 of 23

I've always worked second shift, when I worked outside the home, just so that someone was always available when the kiddo got sick (he has asthma, so when he gets sick, he gets really sick). It worked out well for us. If he needed to stay home from school because he was sick, I was home anyway, and then hubby met me at my work and took him home. This was our daily routine for years, sick or not. I missed eating dinner with them and all of the afterschool activities. I love my job at home now and savor every minute that we get to spend together.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%