First Fondant Cake

Decorating By Loucinda Updated 16 Apr 2005 , 2:56pm by Loucinda

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 15 Apr 2005 , 5:53pm
post #1 of 23

Hi all - this is my first attempt at fondant. This is the lesson 2 cake of class III. I am having a ball with these classes. Thanks for looking!

Fondant Cake (1st attempt)

22 replies
thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 15 Apr 2005 , 5:56pm
post #2 of 23

Beautiful Cake! You should put it in the gallery!

Debbie

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 15 Apr 2005 , 5:57pm
post #3 of 23

That is a beautiful cake thumbs_up.gif ! You'd never know this was your first.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 15 Apr 2005 , 6:02pm
post #4 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcrew

Hi all - this is my first attempt at fondant. This is the lesson 2 cake of class III. I am having a ball with these classes. Thanks for looking!

Fondant Cake (1st attempt)

Hello Quadcrew...noticed that this was your first post, so I thought I would take a second and say welcome to Cakecentral!! Your're gonna love it here!!

Your cake looks terrific..never would guess that it was your first time with fondant! thumbs_up.gif

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 15 Apr 2005 , 6:25pm
post #5 of 23

Yes, Welcome!
LL

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 15 Apr 2005 , 8:06pm
post #6 of 23

Welcome!

cgcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cgcreations Posted 15 Apr 2005 , 8:38pm
post #7 of 23

Welcome!! And beautiful cake! I love the cornelli lace accent!

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 15 Apr 2005 , 8:46pm
post #8 of 23

That cake is gorgeous!!! It's so lovely! Please post it so I can put it in my favs. I already have your teapot in my favs!!!!! icon_wink.gif

Amy

CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 15 Apr 2005 , 10:17pm
post #9 of 23

Love your cake....your roses are amazing, can you give me any tips on how to make them so beautiful.....I'm just learning to make fondant roses and I can't seem to get the hang of it.

Loucinda Posted 15 Apr 2005 , 10:30pm
post #10 of 23

Thanks again everyone for all of the nice comments. This was the first time I have ever messed with fondant at all. I used the rose flower cookie cutter type thing that came in the Course III set. I just tried to roll the petal parts kind of thin, and when I added them to the "teardrop" part, I would then pull the excess fondant off the bottom part so it wasn't so thick there. (does that make sense the way I worded it??) I also used the tool from the Gum Paste set insead of the round ball one that came in the Course III set. It wasn't as much of a big "ball" on the end, so it seemed easier to work with for me. Dusting the sponge with cornstarch also helped me be able to roll them easier. I will add it to the gallery, and once again, thank you all. This is a wonderful site for those of us who are trying to learn as much as we can. You are all a wonderful inspiration.

CIndymm4 Posted 15 Apr 2005 , 10:35pm
post #11 of 23

I wondered about the bottom of the roses, that's the part I have been hating so much, I get done with my rose and the base looks so long, so as I read it, you just pinch off part of the bottom, do you do that after you attach each petal, to make it more rounded?

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 15 Apr 2005 , 10:36pm
post #12 of 23

Wow, you did a beautiful job on that cake! Welcome to the site!

Melissa icon_razz.gif

Loucinda Posted 15 Apr 2005 , 10:53pm
post #13 of 23

Cindymm - yes, that is what I did - after each section of petals, I just pinched some of the fondant off the bottom and reshaped it around the toothpick again. (and thank you once again!)

CIndymm4 Posted 15 Apr 2005 , 11:01pm
post #14 of 23

I think we are at the same place in our classes..... I finished class 2 of Course III last night, we made the present cake, the one covered with fondant...I'll be posting a picture of it later this evening. I feel more confident about making the ten roses I need for class next Thursday now that you have given me this great hint on making the roses. Thanks again!

Loucinda Posted 15 Apr 2005 , 11:06pm
post #15 of 23

icon_biggrin.gif That is cool!! I was the only one in my class that did this cake - the rest did the fondant package and bow. They are so pretty! I was getting the hang of those roses after making them so long last night! The rest of the class had given up, and I kept messing with them - that is how I figured out that if you remove a lot of that extra from the bottom it works out a lot better (for me anyways!) I am anxious to see your cake!

CIndymm4 Posted 15 Apr 2005 , 11:31pm
post #16 of 23

Just posted the cake I made last night, what do you think.....I was the only one that went with wild colors...everyone else did pink and white.....guess I just gotta be different! LOL icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Posted 15 Apr 2005 , 11:38pm
post #17 of 23

I LOVE your colors! So different than the pastels you usually see that cake in! Your backdrop is so pretty too - very professional looking. You did a wonderful job for the first time with fondant too! thumbs_up.gif

CIndymm4 Posted 15 Apr 2005 , 11:41pm
post #18 of 23

Thanks!! It's just a sheet for the backdrop...., LOL , I hate my 1960's kitchen so I make a backdrop and focus on the cake.

galaglow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galaglow Posted 15 Apr 2005 , 11:56pm
post #19 of 23

Lovely job on the cake! I do the same thing with my fondant roses too, I hated all the bulk on the bottom. I love doing fondant roses, I just wish I could do buttercream ones! icon_smile.gif

AngelWendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelWendy Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 12:48am
post #20 of 23

Your cake is really lovely! It's encouraging to see so many people doing Course 3 cakes, because I have the course guide and have to learn it on my own. I have the supplies, too, so I know I can, I just have to get moving and DO it. This is inspiring. There isn't a Course 3 in my area til the Fall, but since our wedding is this summer I want to learn all these techniques to decide which ones I want to use on our cake. icon_smile.gif Not sure yet if I'm going to fondant cover it or just use buttercream.

Anyhow, thanks for sharing your cake and your method of doing the fondant roses! icon_smile.gif

~Angel Wendy

Loucinda Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 1:40am
post #21 of 23

You're welcome. I've learned a lot on here just reading everything and looking at all the beautiful cakes. I'd be hard pressed to pick one over the other (fondant vs. buttercream) I have enjoyed working with both. You're something for taking on making your own wedding cake!!

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 3:52am
post #22 of 23

Quadcrew- very nice cake!

Loucinda Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 2:56pm
post #23 of 23

Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%