Gold Icing

Decorating By sweets65 Updated 26 Mar 2007 , 4:26am by midialjoje

sweets65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweets65 Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 3:15am
post #1 of 13

I saw metallic gold icing used for decorating a wedding cake. Is this for real and is it edible?!!!!! And.... How do you make this?

12 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 11:30am
post #2 of 13

It is not metallic gold icing - it is painted with a mixture of a clear, alcohol-based liquid (vodka, lemon extract, etc) and 23-24Karat gold dust or gold luster dust.

Yes, it is edible, but the real gold dust is illegal in some states.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 11:53am
post #3 of 13

If you only need a little bit, you can make a pipeable metallic icing by mixing equal parts luster dust and powdered sugar - usually 1 teaspoon each but use what you need - with just enough piping gel to get it to a piping consistency. Thoroughly mix the sugar and dust first, then add the gel being careful not to add too much gel. If you have any left over, don't throw it away, it will keep. It won't set up hard because of the gel, but you can use it for accents or dots and it works great.

Deanna

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 1:47pm
post #4 of 13
deb12g Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deb12g Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 4:48pm
post #5 of 13

Thanks so much for that link - it really helped me!

MrsMissey Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 4:51pm
post #6 of 13

..you are very welcome!! icon_smile.gif

sweets65 Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 9:30pm
post #7 of 13

HI everyone! I got most of my answers on this subject, but just one more question. Do I mix CLEAR piping gel with the gold lustre or what color? Please let me know. Thanks, Sweets65

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 11:22pm
post #8 of 13

Don't use piping gel, use an extract or alcohol (I prefer lemon extract or vodka).

sweets65 Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 11:51pm
post #9 of 13

Thanks for your reponse. I printed off a recipe from Mrs. Missey and she said to mix powdered sugar, gold dusting powder and alcohol, but then to add piping gel to that so I can decorate the sides of my cake with scroll type designs. Please respond somebody! My wedding is coming up soon. Thanks so much! sweets65

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 12:32am
post #10 of 13

Hmm, interesting. Have you considered directly PM'ing her?

sweets65 Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 12:35am
post #11 of 13

I did, but no response yet. Open up the website on Mrs.Missey's post and take a look at that gold icing recipe will you and tell me what you think. Thanks, Ann

MrsMissey Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 4:21am
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweets65

HI everyone! I got most of my answers on this subject, but just one more question. Do I mix CLEAR with the gold lustre or what color? Please let me know. Thanks, Sweets65

Yes, it is clear piping gel! The recipe is from one of Colette Peters' book.

midialjoje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midialjoje Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 4:26am
post #13 of 13

unless I misunderstood the initial question, I think they're two different things. the gold dust mixed with clear alcohol can be painted on. The recipe that adds powdered sugar and piping gel is to get an icing that can be used to pipe. make sense?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%