Help! What Is Happening To My Cakes?

Decorating By projectqueen Updated 22 Mar 2007 , 11:57pm by SweetConfectionsChef

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 10:45pm
post #1 of 17

I have always used Cake Release to grease my cake pans with no problems.

I just bought some Magic Line pans and this is how my cakes are coming out of the pans. YIKES icon_eek.gif

They are not sticking but when I turn them over, chunks of the cake are still in the pan.

I'm doing everything else the same.

Please HELP! (This cake I tried just using margarine and then flour but I had the same result as with the Cake Release). Don't tell me I can't use my new Magic Line pans any more icon_cry.gif
LL

16 replies
melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 10:54pm
post #2 of 17

no way- you should definately not give up on these pans, they are wonderful.

what temp did you bake at and how long for what size pan?

how long did you let it cool in the pan before removing?

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 10:58pm
post #3 of 17

I also think that the cake is probably not being baked either long enough or at the right temp. I use Bakers Joy spray in the pan and Magic Line Strips soaked in water and wrapped around pan. I have never had a problem with breakage. Make sure the cake is pulling away from the sides of the pan. If it is not let it cook a little longer.

projectqueen Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 11:01pm
post #4 of 17

I bought the 3" deep pans.

This one was an 8" x 8" x 3" and it baked at 350 for about 1 1/2 hours. It had an extender mixed in so between the extender and the 3" deep pan it took that long to not be raw in the middle.

It cooled the normal 15 minutes or so.

I have had the same problem with some of the other shapes and sizes, too. Even at 325, same problem only not cooked enough in the middle.

I don't know what's happening. Same oven, same recipe. Only thing different is the pans.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 11:01pm
post #5 of 17

Parchment paper on the bottom of the pan along with the pan release.

projectqueen Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 11:04pm
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narie

Cake release first on the bottom and then parchment paper on top of it or just plain parchment on the bottom and cake release on the sides?

The bottom is not sticking so much, it's more the sides (the circle on the bottom of the cake is from the flower nail)

melysa Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 11:05pm
post #7 of 17

wow, an hour and a half? maybe its overcooked on the outside???too dry?

what is the recipe?
i use the ML 2" pans and fill half way, it will take only about 40 minutes at 325 with a dense extender. hmmm

melysa Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 11:07pm
post #8 of 17

the parchment on the bottom does sound like a good alternative.

you CAN use the cake though. cool, wrap and let it settle or chill for several hours. unwrap and with a sharp serrated knife, dont hack it, just gently smooth the edges so its all even, then ice and it should look just fine. just dont attempt to carve it fresh, or it will crumble and look awful. way too soft at this point.

melysa Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 11:08pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectqueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narie

Cake release first on the bottom and then parchment paper on top of it or just plain parchment on the bottom and cake release on the sides?

The bottom is not sticking so much, it's more the sides (the circle on the bottom of the cake is from the flower nail)

cake release, parchment, more cake release on bottom and sides and then batter.

projectqueen Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 11:12pm
post #10 of 17

Melysa, thanks for trying to figure this out.

The edges didn't seem dry at all, in fact the whole thing is very soft.

Do you think if I let it sit till tomorrow I will be able to torte it? I was going to use it for a Tiffany box so the edges will have to be very straight.

Think I should re-bake? It might happen again, though. It keeps happening the last few times I baked with these new pans.

I love the 3" high pans because I can torte twice and have a nice high cake. The recipe is the same extender mix I always use, don't think that's the problem.

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 11:18pm
post #11 of 17

I dont know if you have ruled out the oven temp thing. I know that is my problem. My oven will be 30 this year and I have a thermometer in it. The oven is usually 30-50 degrees below what I need it's a real pain!
A thermometer should only be $5 and it can save your cakes!
Good Luck.
My uncle sells appliances & he made me put a thermometer in my fridge and in my new freezer. And he's just waiting for my new oven order!!!

thecupcakemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecupcakemom Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 11:19pm
post #12 of 17

I use Baker's Joy and probably overbake my cakes. icon_smile.gif Seems to work as I haven't had breakage problems.

melysa Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 11:24pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:

Melysa, thanks for trying to figure this out.

The edges didn't seem dry at all, in fact the whole thing is very soft.

Do you think if I let it sit till tomorrow I will be able to torte it? I was going to use it for a Tiffany box so the edges will have to be very straight.

Think I should re-bake? It might happen again, though. It keeps happening the last few times I baked with these new pans.

I love the 3" high pans because I can torte twice and have a nice high cake. The recipe is the same extender mix I always use, don't think that's the problem.

the cracks don t seem too bad. yes, i think if they rest over night well wrapped, they should settle enough so that you can use them just fine. ( i tend to use dense cakes though so depending on how fluffy or dense yours is- the outcome may be different.) are you gtoing to ice in only bc or fondant too? you should be able to fill in gaps with the crumbcoat and then add on a nice thick second coat to make the edges look normal.

i too wonder if the oven temp is off- because the ml pans really are great. they work so well for me. ( i use bakers joy with them too-like thecupcakemom)

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 11:31pm
post #14 of 17

I have no advice for the pans...I use 2" pans. But I can say that if you use a nice thin bc and crumb coat the cake well (filling in the mishaps as you go) and let sit in fridge over night you will be fine icing it in the morning. Please post a pic so we can see the finished product! icon_smile.gif

projectqueen Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 11:43pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetConfectionsChef

But I can say that if you use a nice thin bc and crumb coat the cake well (filling in the mishaps as you go) and let sit in fridge over night you will be fine icing it in the morning.

I would need to torte twice to fill before crumb coating. I don't know if I will be able to torte this tomorow. Certainly not today unless maybe I freeze it first.

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 11:43pm
post #16 of 17

I usually only let the cakes cool for 5-10 miutes max before flipping out. Seems to help with any sticking.

I've been using the Magic Line 2" round pans and one sheet cake. Sprayed heavily with Pam. No parchment.

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 11:57pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetConfectionsChef

But I can say that if you use a nice thin bc and crumb coat the cake well (filling in the mishaps as you go) and let sit in fridge over night you will be fine icing it in the morning.

I would need to torte twice to fill before crumb coating. I don't know if I will be able to torte this tomorow. Certainly not today unless maybe I freeze it first.

Yes, stick it in the freezer for awhile...maybe an hour or so...I've had cakes come out of the pan much worse icon_redface.gif and it's always turned out okay in the end! I wish you luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%