Transporting Cupcakes

Decorating By charman Updated 24 Mar 2007 , 7:10pm by ShirleyW

charman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charman Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 7:19pm
post #1 of 12

Does anyone have any good ideas for transporting cupcakes? Ones that won't mess up their pretty icing, etc. I've had several orders now, and each time it is a challenge coming up with something that the customer doesn't' have to keep up with and return. Open to any suggestion you might have....fire away the ideas! icon_wink.gif

11 replies
tthardy78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tthardy78 Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 7:22pm
post #2 of 12

I buy the plastic containers that hold either 6 or 12 cupcakes, they don't cost that much so I have added the cost of these into the cost of the cupcakes. Then the customer doesn't have to return them to me afterward.

c_spady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
c_spady Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 7:24pm
post #3 of 12

I use "beer flats"... the brown cardboard ones that four 6 packs come in. I get them from the local liquor store for free. They are usually happy to get rid of them. When I am ready to take them out, I cut 2 of the corners, fold down the side, and that makes them easier to get out without smushing the decorations.

nicoles-a-tryin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoles-a-tryin Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 7:26pm
post #4 of 12

I put them in a regular cake box. And lined the box with that drawer liner..I also give them a piece with all my cakes ,so it doesn't move around in their car.
Here is a picture of what I did with my cupcakes...Hope it helps.
LL

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 7:29pm
post #5 of 12

My vote is for the disposable plastic containers. I've used them before and they are great. I'm lucky that a cake supply place near me carries them. I can put 4 containers of 6 in a copy paper box (that I get at work), line the corners with some towels so they don't slide, and I'm good to go.

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 7:30pm
post #6 of 12

I also do the drink flat cardboard thing, and the cake box. I usually use the drink flats to take snacks in to my girls schools or for family. Anyone else I use cake boxes.

thecupcakemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecupcakemom Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 7:38pm
post #7 of 12

I use the plastic carriers and simply have the customer return or I pick up. This way I'm ensured that they won't get beat up. How much do you all charge for your cupcakes?

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 7:53pm
post #8 of 12

Hey BRP just started carrying the inserts and they have free shipping inside the US.

http://www.brpboxshop.com/index_all_bakery_boxes_with_images.html

junebuggey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
junebuggey Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 1:37am
post #9 of 12

Take a piece of the thick foam core board. Use a hole drill bit (the kind used to cut holes for door knobs) the size of your cupcakes to cut the foam core and create a tray holder. Place the board in a cake box and add you cupcakes.

Junebuggey

charman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charman Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 11:35am
post #10 of 12

Junebuggy...what an awesome idea that is! Might have to remember that for a small order.

Nicoles-a-tryin...I've done the same thing you do a few time too...I slip a piece under my cake boards as well in the box so the cake doesn't slide in the box too much...particularly if it is too small for the box.

The plastic container you see cupcakes at Walmart come in...anyone have an idea of where to find those? I called my local Walmart to purchase some of those, but the bakery told me they come pre-packaged.

I typically charge $7.00 a dozen for my regular cupcakes, and $5.00 for mini cupcakes per dozen. Pretty comparable for my area...kind of the middle of the road for price. One place gets $1 per cupcake!

It is frustrating trying to find way to transport your goods...especially when they aren't your typical sheet cakes, if that makes sense.

junebuggey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
junebuggey Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 4:23pm
post #11 of 12

It is great for large orders as the board is larger than a full sheet cake box. I leave only a 1/4 inch tolerance around each cupcake and when you add the cost of the plastic holders, it adds up fast. The boards I buy when I have a coupon for the craft stores and are $2 to $3 each. I also use them in place of drum boards...cut to size and cover with foil

Junebuggey

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 7:10pm
post #12 of 12

I like the disposable ones too and they fit well inside a sheet cake box. But there is a super duper one made of plastic called the cupdake courier that looks interesting. Holds 36 cupcakes and sells for $32.99
http://www.cupcakecourier.com/pages/page_layout.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%