Help - Timing Question

Decorating By cakeatty Updated 4 Mar 2006 , 3:08am by parismom

cakeatty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeatty Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 5:29pm
post #1 of 8

Since I'm a "newbie", I'd love some input on a question. I spoke with a bride to be 2 wks ago about doing a cake for her wedding in December. She's said she definitely wants me to do it but I can't get her to return a phone call. My problem is I've got another bride who wants me to do a cake for her the same weekend and since it's just me and I don't have a staff to help me with 2 wedding cakes in one weekend, I'm kind of in a pickle. icon_redface.gif Do I keep trying to get the one that called me first? If so, how long is appropriate before I stop calling and possibly, accept the other cake order? Any input from ya'll would be GREATLY appreciated!

7 replies
Helendelk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Helendelk Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 5:35pm
post #2 of 8

Honestly I would do both if it were me.. Just bake up your cakes ahead of time and make icing up ahead and have it planned out.. but in your case sounds like you would prefer to cancel ..... You might take in consideration the bride you are trying to contact may simply be on vacation or may be busy with work and what not and not able to return your calls.. if she hasnt contaced you by the end of 2 weeks I would send a letter to her. Just keep in mind brides talk and if you cancel on her she might turn her into a bridezilla and tell all her friends not to even consider your services for canceling on her... You never know what triggers brides but even the simplest thing sets brides off even this early in the game.. Good luck with that and let us know how it goes!

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 5:36pm
post #3 of 8

o boy that is a dilemna.... Just how far in the consult did you get with the first bride? second bride? Are the weddings at the same hour of the day or different? How far apart are the venues? All kinds fo questions to ask. If you are willing to take on both and don't think that there will be a prob with the delivery or setup then I would go ahead and do both but that depends on you and how you go about stuff.Also depends on what kind of cake and how complicated they are. If one or the other is all bc then that shouldn't be a prob. If both are, say like, fondant n such! Well I would consider dropping one for the other. But I would wait til maybe april before I would drop one of em. It's still early in the game and you never know one of em may just change the date and then you would be all set.

tastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastycakes Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 5:38pm
post #4 of 8

I would do both! Your cakes are so pretty, and the more you do the quicker it'll get for you and it'll feel more natural by December!

cakeatty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeatty Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 6:00pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks everybody! I think I'm just sweating things a little too early since I'm so new at it and the confidence level isn't as high as what I would like it to be. I think you're right, Helen about not cutting off my nose to spite my face, especially when you're dealing with possible Bridezillas icon_smile.gif I think chaptips is right too. I may need to give her until April or so since her wedding is in December to get back with me. Again, probably jumping the gun, JUST A LITTLE. And thanks tastycakes for the wonderful compliment! You guys are just awesome for all the help you give all of us fledgling bakers! We couldn't do it (or at least not as well icon_lol.gif) without you!

BalloonWhisk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BalloonWhisk Posted 4 Mar 2006 , 12:35am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Quote:

If so, how long is appropriate before I stop calling and possibly, accept the other cake order?

If you really don't think you can do both, whoever gets the deposit to you first should get the weekend's slot. It's not your problem to chase after a potential customer who chooses not to commit.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 4 Mar 2006 , 2:55am
post #7 of 8

If you only feel comfortable with doing one, depending on the designs of both and location/time as stated by others.

I would call the first bride (or contact her in whichever way you can, email, letter, etc... or all)

Let her know that you have another bride inquiring your services for the same date. You would like to do her cake, however with out a deposit or a signed contract by "insert date" you can not guarentee you will be available.

This should get the message across that you want to do her cake, but you can not wait forever for a definite answer.

Hopefully this will still give you the chance to do the other brides cake if the first one isn't sure yet. And hopefully it will releive you of a little stress icon_smile.gif

Leily

Let us know what happens

parismom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
parismom Posted 4 Mar 2006 , 3:08am
post #8 of 8

I don't know. She may not be calling b/c she may have gone with someone else - or who knows - weddingmay have been cancelled. I'm just saying, anything is possible. But you also don't want to chase her down. Then she might be skeptical thinking that you NEED her business. Obviously you don't, you alreadyhave another lined up. Do what you feel is best. If you decide to go with one and not the other (who hasn't called you back) you might send her a nice letter or email stating that due to your schedule you have committments booking you fairly quickly. And while you would have loved to work with her, you are sorry to have missed the opportunity due to miscommunication or lack of communication. The add that you hope to work with her in the future for possible baby showers or birthday party cakes.

icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%