Ok This Is Not Going To Be Easy....

Decorating By parismom Updated 3 Mar 2006 , 11:53pm by parismom

parismom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
parismom Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 3:20pm
post #1 of 36

I saw this cake last night under cake galleries...events...new orleans show...

I really want to make this cake. Do any of you guy have a clue on how she may have covered these odd shaped "cut cake peices??? I don't want to copy this cake exactly, but I do want to use this as a major part of my inspiration...

I couldn't go to sleep last night, I was up for about 2 hours thinking of a cake I could make similar to this and how to do it.
LL

35 replies
ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 3:25pm
post #2 of 36

Oh my!!! What an amazing cake! I love this design. This is way beyond my skills at this point. I'm sorry I can't offer any help. I look forward to reading other's ideas. I can't wait to see what you come up with! Good luck!!

Sparklycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklycake Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 3:25pm
post #3 of 36

I would imagine its fondant with piping for the detail, like the filling and jam...

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 3:27pm
post #4 of 36

this is awesome!!!

parismom Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 3:28pm
post #5 of 36

Yes, I think the piping would be the easy part at that point. Details are fun for me... But what's not fun is figuring out how in the world to cover a triangle shaped cake, without it getting bunched up or wrinkled in bad places... then it also looks like she has more layers of seperate colored fondant on them. I'm wondering, would I have to cover fondant with more fondant? I would do whatever it takes.

....I am bound and determined.... HELP!!!

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 3:32pm
post #6 of 36

I saw this cake at the show and it was awesome in person. I think it was a Colette Peters so you may be able to look at some of her stuff to get an idea of how she may have done it!

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 3:33pm
post #7 of 36

icon_surprised.gif That is spectacular. Of course, this is WAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY beyond my skills. I'm just here to go oooooo and ahhhhhhh. I can't wait to see what you come up with!!

Angie

PSLCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PSLCakeLady Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 3:36pm
post #8 of 36

How cool is that! Looks like she just cut out portions and covered them in fondant. She has a tendancy to roll out those squiggly lines in fondant but I have seen her pipe some portions of her cake.

parismom Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 3:46pm
post #9 of 36

I know, it is CRAZY!!! I would love to know how you cover a cake slice in fondant!

cmarkins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmarkins Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 3:49pm
post #10 of 36

What a beautiful cake! Maybe I'll try a version this summer when I have more time. Let us know how yours turns out.

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 3:50pm
post #11 of 36

Aw heck! Just email Collette and ask her icon_biggrin.gif I would lol

Lazy_Susan

P.S. Good Luck. Can't wait to see it when you are done.

alise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alise Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 3:52pm
post #12 of 36

Well this is way out of my range to! Colette Peters is a great decorator! She would be great to learn from!

PSLCakeLady Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 4:02pm
post #13 of 36

ParisMom, you can cover any shape with fondant just like normal. Just roll it out big enough. How fun!

okred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okred Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 4:05pm
post #14 of 36

I have several of Colette's books and she does put fondant on top of fondant in some of her designs. It looks like the top piece is the slice out of the layer below. The other pieces are also just cut out and decorated to look like cut pieces. I am with you, I would love to do something like this and my mind just starts frantically (sp) trying to come up with a way!!!!!

parismom Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 4:09pm
post #15 of 36

Well, I guess my biggest question is this: I can see how she covered it. The more I think about it, I think I could do it no problem... BUT what about how there is different colors of fondant on the sides and top? Could it be buttercream on the side of the cake wedges? I see she has given it texture as if it were really the 'cake' on the inside.

See the front piece? The pink/blue? Well I can't figure out if I should cover the whole thing blue like that and then put a side of pink to make it look like the cake inside.

I am confusing, I know...

How would I contact Collette if I wanted to? LOL

Darstus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darstus Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 4:10pm
post #16 of 36

This cake was most likely made on dummies for the show so it was easy!!! I would think you could make a dense cake, cut it then freeze it. That would probably make decorating easier. I have decorated a "slice" of cake but I crumb coated then star tipped it. No fondant on that one.

parismom Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 4:11pm
post #17 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by okred

I have several of Colette's books and she does put fondant on top of fondant in some of her designs. It looks like the top piece is the slice out of the layer below. The other pieces are also just cut out and decorated to look like cut pieces. I am with you, I would love to do something like this and my mind just starts frantically (sp) trying to come up with a way!!!!!

OK thanks! That was my biggest question! I guess it will just have to be fondant upon fondant. I think this is going to be my most time consuming cake yet! I am trying to come up with something spectacular for my daughter's birthday in July (yes it's far off) but I think big and want to plan for that now! I am a big planner. icon_smile.gif

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 4:16pm
post #18 of 36

It does look like fondant upon fondant. The pink part actually looks like it may have been sprayed pink. Maybe you could do the whole cake in white. Spray the colors on that you wanted and then cover the top and/or sides in another piece of fondant. (hope that makes sense)

lemoncurd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lemoncurd Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 4:20pm
post #19 of 36

I think she has one of these in her books. I'd look at her birthday cake one and cakes to dream on. I'd bet money there's a cake like this in there. Its not the exact same one, but it's similar.

size4again Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
size4again Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 4:22pm
post #20 of 36

I have to think that the colours are done but brushing or spay on. As someone said earlier, cover the entire peice white first.. then add the colour and detail.

parismom Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 4:34pm
post #21 of 36

I never even thought of that! That would be SO much easier!!

Thanks everyone! I don't have stress anymore LOL!

annabella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annabella Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 4:35pm
post #22 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemoncurd

I think she has one of these in her books. I'd look at her birthday cake one and cakes to dream on. I'd bet money there's a cake like this in there. Its not the exact same one, but it's similar.

Well, there's not one in Cakes to Dream on. Maybe you could try and cut the fondant to the shape of the sides and incorporate the seams into the decoration.

PSLCakeLady Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 4:40pm
post #23 of 36

Just look her up, I'm sure she's in the book. I'm sure she's not doing anything this close to the weekend. LOL.

How about just cutting out fondant and laying it where you want like wallpaper. I've seen Mike do it, I can't imagine why you can't?

parismom Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 4:46pm
post #24 of 36

Ok... I have another question...

See how she draped the fondant over the cakes, as a top layer of design? Would you cut out the 'flowing icing' before you put it on the cake? I hope I am explaining that right..

Ok, like how it looks like the icing is drizzling down the sides... Should I lay that fondant over the top and cut around the sides after it's on? Or cut the 'icing waves' before I lay it on the cake. I'm wondering how it would smooth and fit if I cut it before...

bakincakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakincakin Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 7:12pm
post #25 of 36

This is truely a fabulous cake...I can't give any advice on how to do it though, as I'm just a cakemaker wannabe right now. I just enjoy looking at the pictures and reading the forums. Can't wait to see your version!

annabella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annabella Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 7:15pm
post #26 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by parismom

Ok... I have another question...

See how she draped the fondant over the cakes, as a top layer of design? Would you cut out the 'flowing icing' before you put it on the cake? I hope I am explaining that right..

Ok, like how it looks like the icing is drizzling down the sides... Should I lay that fondant over the top and cut around the sides after it's on? Or cut the 'icing waves' before I lay it on the cake. I'm wondering how it would smooth and fit if I cut it before...

I've never tried anything like this. Perhaps you could cut your basic shape a bit larger, then apply, then trim as needed?

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 7:19pm
post #27 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by parismom

How would I contact Collette if I wanted to? LOL

I sent you a PM with her email address.

rabiah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rabiah Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 7:35pm
post #28 of 36

Collette does paint on her fondant. I bet that is how she kept the smooth consistancy and made it look spectacular!

dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 7:38pm
post #29 of 36

Wow that could inspire a dozen different cakes!!!

parismom Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 8:51pm
post #30 of 36

Here is another Collette mystery. I am dancing around many ways I may go about the first cake. Like I said, I'm taking this and that and making my own version. Well, my own version is going to have some random cupcakes here and there, kind of like her cake wedges. I want to do both. It would be really hard to explain what's in my head for this cake I want to create. I don't know if my skills are where they need to be but I'm going to have to force my skills to be where they need to be.

Here's the deal:
The cupcake at the top... I imagine I could construct that using a jumbo muffin tin then top the muffin shaped cake (after I flatten the surface) with a half mini ball shape cake, like the wilton pan. Cover each in fondant... but I'm wondering how she made the top of the cupcake look kind of buldging at the sides. Maybe it's just bunched up fondant shaped smoothly on the outside. I may have answered my own question.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%