Has Anybody Tried Choco Pan???

Decorating By SMorris Updated 2 Apr 2006 , 6:26pm by dmaam

SMorris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SMorris Posted 1 Mar 2006 , 9:22pm
post #1 of 24

Does this work good? Would you recommend this?

23 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 2 Mar 2006 , 8:37pm
post #2 of 24

its a softer fondant then most, but is one of the best tasting on the market. I do think its worth a shot to see if you like it.

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 2 Mar 2006 , 8:40pm
post #3 of 24

I've not tried it but i've heard it's nice to work with and tastes good. I did think it was a bit pricey.

Deb

dawnrunner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnrunner Posted 2 Mar 2006 , 8:45pm
post #4 of 24

I've never heard of it - what exactly is it, how do you use it, where can one find it?

southernbelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southernbelle Posted 2 Mar 2006 , 8:45pm
post #5 of 24

I took a class with it when I was in colorado. It is great to work with and tastes fantastic. Just to give you an idea, a 2 lb tub was $14.75 at the cake store I went to in Colorado. I still have some left, it gets a bit hard after sitting but if you zap it a bit in the micro it's fine. Just a bit on the pricey side. I prefer the tast of mmf myself.

sancar80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sancar80 Posted 2 Mar 2006 , 8:47pm
post #6 of 24

I recently discovered choco-pan. I love it. It is very easy to work with. It rolls out very thin, so you don't have to use as much. The taste is awesome! Like white chocolate.

Give it a try. The owner of the cake decorating supply store 'warned' me. She said "Once you try this, you will not want to use anything else" She was right. I'm hooked.

thecakemaker Posted 7 Mar 2006 , 5:01pm
post #7 of 24

I broke down and bought a bucket of chocopan last night. Everything I can find on chocopan says "roll very thin" but nothing says what very thin is. Do I roll it out to 1/16" or 1/8" of an inch? I roll my Satin Ice to about 3/16" to 1/8". Can I roll the Chocopan out thinner than that? Also, I think I read that Chocopan can be refrigerated - after being place on the cake - is this true too? That's the main reason I decided to try it. It would make large wedding cakes easier to handle if the decorated cake could be refrigerated.

Thanks!
Debbie

southernbelle Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 6:19am
post #8 of 24

I don't know about the refrigerated part. But as far as the thinness. I usually roll it out on my Wilton mat, the one that has the pre-printed circles.....when I can see the Wilton logo, I know I have it right. At least that is what my instructor taught us. It has always worked for me, even with the choco-pan. Sorry I couldn't help with the refrigeration part of your questions. Let us know how you like it. I have tub in my pantry that I think I will use on my St. Patty cookies......good luck

thecakemaker Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 1:49pm
post #9 of 24

thanks southernbelle! i guess i can test a small piece in the fridge.

Deb

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 2:57pm
post #10 of 24

I love the taste, but it's too soft and expensive for my liking.... I prefer Satin Ice. I know someone who mixex white candy clay with fondant and it tastes similiar to choco-pan, but it's not as tempermental.

TamiAZ Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 2:58pm
post #11 of 24

I love the taste, but it's too soft and expensive for my liking.... I prefer Satin Ice. I know someone who mixex white candy clay with fondant and it tastes similiar to choco-pan, but it's not as tempermental.

thecakemaker Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 5:05pm
post #12 of 24

Thanks! I like Satin Ice too. That's what I use. I was hoping that if this was the fondant that could be refrigerated it might help me out on some of my larger cakes.

Deb

southernbelle Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 4:28am
post #13 of 24

You know, I liked the choc-pan when I used it in the class I took, but it was really expensive especially when doing the larger cakes. I haven't tried the Satin Ice yet. I really like the taste of the mmf but must confess am a bit lazy and would rather just roll it out and not mix and measure icon_rolleyes.gif Plus........I really, really hate coloring fondant...does the Satin Ice come in different colors? is it easy to color. May have to give some a try....and for some of you that have made the mmf how does the Satin Ice compare in taste?

TamiAZ Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 5:40am
post #14 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelle

You know, I liked the choc-pan when I used it in the class I took, but it was really expensive especially when doing the larger cakes. I haven't tried the Satin Ice yet. I really like the taste of the mmf but must confess am a bit lazy and would rather just roll it out and not mix and measure icon_rolleyes.gif Plus........I really, really hate coloring fondant...does the Satin Ice come in different colors? is it easy to color. May have to give some a try....and for some of you that have made the mmf how does the Satin Ice compare in taste?

I prefer Satin Ice over MMF... I just don't like the taste of the mmf and I find it much sweeter than Satin Ice.

thecakemaker Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 1:48pm
post #15 of 24

Satin Ice comes in a variety of colors premade. I like it better than MMF too but use MMF on occasion. Mostly for the kids cakes.

Deb

cakergreg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakergreg Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 10:27pm
post #16 of 24

I think choco-pan is great. have found i easy yo work with. It also goes a long way. You use less of it, so it isn't that expensive. I love the taste. Most of my customers didn't want fondant until they tasted the choco-pan.

www.choco-pan.com

thecakemaker Posted 13 Mar 2006 , 2:52pm
post #17 of 24

I tried the chocopan last night. I loved the taste and it quickly kneeded up to a usable softness however even with pwd sugar sprinkled on the non stick mat - it stuck. I rolled it thin like it said so when I tried to lift it - it tore. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Deb

cakergreg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakergreg Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 12:35am
post #18 of 24

If you would call 1-888-287-8455 and talk with Linda (she the one who invented it), she will be glad to help you out.[/list]

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 7:03am
post #19 of 24

About refrigeration:

I made 2 practice cakes and covered with chocopan. I kept them uncovered in the fridge for 4 or 5 days. They were perfectly fine. I was thinking I was going to try some new decorating techniques on them. When I finally realized my time was not going to allow for the decoration, I sliced one up and put a couple slices into a container to share with a couple different neighbors to get their opinion on the taste. After a day, the fondant on the cake in the containers had condensation on it. but I don't think it was necessarily ruined.

So I would say, definitely you can refrigerate it, just don't box it or cover it up. The fondant seals in the cake and filling so it doesn't dry out. The fondant didn't dry out too badly or crack or anything.

Hope that helps.

thecakemaker Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 2:05pm
post #20 of 24

Thanks! I covered a cake with chocopan on Sunday for today. I stuck it in the fridge and brought it in to work today. So far it looks great! Too bad my tiger lilly doesn't look as well. I made a tiger lilly last night out of gumpaste and I was going to put it on the cake when I got to work. A gust of wind grabbed it and it crashed. Now it's a joke - the birthday girl loves her cake with the broken tiger lilly on it icon_surprised.gif)

Deb

charman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charman Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 4:27pm
post #21 of 24

What is Satin Ice...is there a recipe? As far as taste...how is it?

thecakemaker Posted 2 Apr 2006 , 3:53pm
post #22 of 24

I used the choco-pan again last night on a practice cake. I love the taste but find it way too hard to work with. I tried rolling it onto non-stick fondant rings and on my roll pat mat. It stuck to both! I rolled it out to about 1/4" (much thicker than my Satin Ice) and when trying to lift it it stretched way out while I was trying to un-stick it. I'd love to find the secret to this stuff! I just posted the pic of the practice cake - 3 tier with gumpaste roses.

Debbie

sweetsuccess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsuccess Posted 2 Apr 2006 , 4:03pm
post #23 of 24

Thanks cakergreg, I never heard of choco-pan, but I would like to give it a try. icon_biggrin.gif

dmaam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmaam Posted 2 Apr 2006 , 6:26pm
post #24 of 24

What is MMF? I am new to the cake decorating world and I am trying to learn all there is to learn? Thank you for your help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%