Pulling My Hair Out

Business By karateka Updated 27 Mar 2007 , 12:19am by karateka

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 6:50pm
post #1 of 23

This lady is driving me nertz. She wants a cake for her son that is a peanut shape, NO peanut butter in the cake, and a smash cake for him. Plus a "very small cake or cupcake" for a kid who is milk allergic.

I found her a milk free cake, it is an 8in square. Nope, she wants something smaller. Sorry, lady, you have to pay for the whole thing, I don't keep these in stock.

Then, I gave her 2 options: one a sheet cake carved in the shape of a peanut, then a 3D peanut cake lying on a cake board. She said she couldn't envision a 3D peanut. Has she never seen a peanut???

Now she is nitpicking over the delivery fee. She wants me to drive 18miles to deliver these cakes for no compensation. Let her try to find delivery to anywhere around here for $15!

I am almost hoping she tells me to take a flying leap. I don't HAVE to do this cake.

22 replies
arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 6:52pm
post #2 of 23

Did you forget that you are BOOKED already that day? Tell her!

icon_wink.gif ....wink, wink..... icon_wink.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 6:55pm
post #3 of 23

Geesh, what a "nut" case! (hahahaha! I just crack me up!) icon_lol.gif

I intentionally high-end quoted a wedding once that I knew was going to be a big pain and THANK GAWWWWWWWWWWDDDDD she went somewhere else!

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 6:57pm
post #4 of 23

arosstx has it right...

here's an order for you - hey karateka, you know that day that the crazy peanut cake lady wants you to do a cake? Isn't that the day of my imaginary event that I'd like you to bake a HUGE imaginary cake for me? You are going to be so busy that I don't envision how you could book any more orders on that day...

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 6:58pm
post #5 of 23

Here, nobody delivers birthday cakes, unless they pay a delivery charge of $1.00 per mile. Wedding cakes are usually delivered free within a certain radius (average 15 miles). After that, again, it's $1.00 per mile (source -- personal survey done in 2005).

Tell her if she does not want to pay the delivery charge, she is more than welcome to come pick it up.

Now, is there any dairy in the ingredients you use?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 7:01pm
post #6 of 23

I do a lot of allergy cakes and if you sub soy or rice milk and oil or shortening for the butter in your cake you should be fine to make the whole cake Dairy Free. - Therefore easier. I have many recipes if you want - some make about 12 teacup cupcakes which is only about 6 reg. cupcakes.

If she does not want that, then she should pay more for the dairy free cake since it's more expensive and more work.

She should also pay for delivery, all bakeries charge or you pick it up yourself! It's her choice.

Also if you happen to not be booked like "Arosstx" suggested (which might be a good idea). You might want to show her a couple of pictures of what you think of doing and you are right she might not know what she really wants.

Good luck -hope you are busy that day!

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 7:06pm
post #7 of 23

Playingwithsugar, that is good information, thanks

Karaleka,

Get rid of her, she sounds like a nut. It's not worth it.

The kid with the milk allergy his/her Mother should provide a cupcake. My Neice has a peanut allergy and her parents make her own cake to take to parties.

If you were to make it I would make her pay for the 8"

With the cost of gas, not paying for delivery wouldn't even be an option.

Someone that demanding should expect to pay.

Good Luck you need it.

Lalana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lalana Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 7:10pm
post #8 of 23

"She said she couldn't envision a 3D peanut. Has she never seen a peanut??? "
HA HA HA!!! LOL some people I swear. Too bad you didn't have a peanut to show her. I think you should tell her to take a flying leap! Good luck with this customer I hope it turns out for the better.

harlemcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
harlemcakelady Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 7:15pm
post #9 of 23

Karateka,

The beauty of having your own business is that you can pick who you do your cakes for. I would say no. I can't do it for less. Take it or leave it.

Some people don't really understand how much time goes into making cakes.

Good luck.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 7:17pm
post #10 of 23

if someone does not understand the term 3d- simply explain that 3d means 3 dimensional- you can see the shape from all sides. so - you make the cake look like a regular object with depth and angle- not just flat.

ruralepicure Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruralepicure Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 7:17pm
post #11 of 23

I think that it's great that this mom is being careful of the one child's allergy BUT does she think there is a recipe for a 3-4 inch cake?? She should absolutely have to pay for the 8 inch cake and she should also have to pay for delivery.

By the way, JMO but I think you should go for the 3D peanut if you do make this cake, I think it would be really cute!!

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 7:20pm
post #12 of 23

wow could she be more trouble?

the last couple years i've gotten real good at telling people no...life is to short to deal with all these nit pickers.

ksimp6577 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ksimp6577 Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 7:31pm
post #13 of 23

I think it's very considerate of her to want a dairy-free option for the child with an allergy. However, as a mother of a child with a food allergy, I doubt the parents expect it. I pack a cupcake to every party my son attends.

I agree with the other posts -- she needs to find her baked goods elsewhere!

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 7:36pm
post #14 of 23

I like the idea of making the entire cake nut-free. Ooh and if you wanted to make a cupcake there is this cupcake book where htey say to take two balls of foil or marbles and put them on both sides of the paper of the cupcake - it make it come out peanut-shaped! I hope that makes sense.

I'd say make the entire cake milk-free or tell her you won't do it at all. Good luck!

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 7:38pm
post #15 of 23

I like the idea of making the entire cake nut-free. Ooh and if you wanted to make a cupcake there is this cupcake book where htey say to take two balls of foil or marbles and put them on both sides of the paper of the cupcake - it make it come out peanut-shaped! I hope that makes sense.

I'd say make the entire cake milk-free or tell her you won't do it at all. Good luck!

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 7:48pm
post #16 of 23

Hmmmmm............

"No" is such a lovely word. icon_biggrin.gif

kdkamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdkamp Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 7:54pm
post #17 of 23

I'd tell her no. What's the saying? "She has champagne taste on a beer budget"

karateka Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 7:58pm
post #18 of 23

Ya know, you are ALL right! I should say no.

It's just that as of today she knows I'm free except for the coffee cake wedding cake I have to deliver that morning. It's just today that she has finally stepped over the line from high maintenance to really friggin' annoying.

I'm thinking if she doesn't answer by late tomorrow, I'm going to email her and tell her I took another job. Maybe she'll just decide she doesn't want to spend the $$. What's hilarious is that she actually told me she was shopping around, so if she emailed back to ask about delivery, you know I'm in her top few choices.

I'll let you know what happens. icon_mad.gif

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 8:03pm
post #19 of 23

Ah, my one pet peeve. People who haggle over the price. I tell people I have a size requirement with each order. I tell them the price. If they don't like it, fine....I am not willing to work for less. I think you should be blunt with her in a nice way.

I wouldn't tell her no. I would tell her, "I can do it, and here is my price." Let her tell you no. It is not your problem if she does not like the price. You know what your time is worth. I would be frank with her, though, and say, "I have a delivery charge, this is what the cake costs, and I cannot bend the price any further...would you like to book it? I need to know now because I have other clients also interested in this date." Of course, say it with a sweet, smiling voice.
If she says no, then tell her thank-you anyway and move on.

ellepal Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 8:10pm
post #20 of 23

PS...I just looked at your website....your cakes are terrific!! Your time is so valuable!!

One veteran cake maker once told me, "I would rather turn business down than do a cake for less than what I think is fair."

I hold steadfast to that.........I'm not interested in being someone's cheap cake lady, nor should you.

Good luck with it!

karateka Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 8:46pm
post #21 of 23

Thanks, ellepal!

BTW- is that your beautiful baby in your avatar?

ellepal Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 9:08pm
post #22 of 23

Yeah, that's the lil' munchkin! She's alot bigger now, though...breaking 11 lbs already! icon_biggrin.gif She keeps me busy and away from the CC site, but I try to sneak online when she is sleeping from time to time. icon_smile.gif

karateka Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 12:19am
post #23 of 23

ok, so this lady straightened up, paid my asking price (went with the cheaper flat option).

Of course, she said in an email when confirming her purchase that she wanted it to serve 15 "generously....leftovers would be GREAT"

Now she wants to know if I can make it bigger, because she already has 15 people and not everyone has RSVP'd.

I can't believe I had to turn down an easy fondant cake for that week because I had this order and the wedding coffee cake. I'd rather make the fondant cake...I NEVER get requests for fondant cake. icon_cry.gif

I swear, next time I'm quick on the "I'm booked" button. (Is it Staples that calls it the "easy" button??)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%