Heffalump/elephant Cake Instructions.

Decorating By krissy_kze Updated 4 Aug 2007 , 6:45am by Shamitha

krissy_kze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissy_kze Posted 1 Mar 2006 , 2:55am
post #1 of 17

Many of you asked me how to do the Lumpy cake. I'll post the instructions here so you all can see them.

I have to preface this by saying that I downloaded a picture and just kind of went with it. "Wing-it" is my middle name icon_smile.gif

I went to the heffalumpmovie.com website and found 2 pictures front and back of lumpy that I printed out and had in front of me while making the cake. It was a great reference tool.

With all of my cakes I stack different pans to see the size and shape before baking. I attached a picture of the pans I used.

The bottom 3 were for the body and done in chocolate and the top 3 were done in yellow.

After baking I torted the larger layers and then sculpted the body slightly. I tapered it from the top down then removed the layers and put boards and supports under the top layer then reassmbled it and iced it.

The head was a little more challenging and I would sculpt it more next time. The head was on it's own board. I torted the layers and then shaped the layers in the head shape. Kind of like a bell. I cut into it at the bottom to give it about and inch of "neck" then I iced the whole head.

I used MMF to cover the body and head which I wouldn't do again. Well, the body was fine, the head was a challenge since it tapered in at the neck and it got pretty wrinkly which I had a hard time smoothing out. I had some Satin Ice fondant on hand so I used that for the appendages.

I put supports in the bottom layer to support the head then drove a dowel through the top of the head all the way through.

For the legs and arms I scrunched up some tin foil in the shape of legs and arms. I rolled out fondant and shaped it around the foil. I had to cover the ugly creases in the feet so I put round pieces on the bottoms. I cut little rectangles and scored them to resemble the things on the hooves. I have no idea what they are called, I was just copying the photos!

The trunk I made sure was long enough to rest on one of the legs. I twisted three strands of floral wire and left about 2 or 3 inches to curve and stick into the face for support. One thing I would have done better was to have smoothed the trunk out at the face more.

I made a tail by rolling a little ball and attaching a bunch of rolled thick shapes of hair strands.

The ears were a nightmare plain and simple. I freehanded a design from the photo. I twisted 2 lengths of floral wire and placed them along the top of thears and rolled the top of the ear down to cover the wire. I left about 4 inches of wire to be able to stick into the head for support. I let the ears dry overnight on a flower former for a curved ear. To attach them I sank them into the head about a half inch along with the wire. I supported them and wrapped some fondant at the seam for more support.

For the hair I cut strips of flondnat and wrapped them around a dowl and let them dry. I stuck a little wire through the top hair to get it to stick up.

The eyes and eyebrows I used black fondant and little balls of white for the twinkle in the eyes.

All of the "stitches" were painted on with black paste coloring and lemon extract. I painted the inside of the ears pink with cherry pink powdered coloring mixed with white liquid coloring and some lemon extract.

I held my breath and hoped it stuck together.
LL
LL

16 replies
mikaza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mikaza Posted 1 Mar 2006 , 3:08am
post #2 of 17

I love this! Thank you so much for the photos and explanations--and my favorite part was the end "I held my breath..."

I think we have all felt that feeling!!

cakefairy18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy18 Posted 1 Mar 2006 , 3:18am
post #3 of 17

WOW...Thank you very much...that is a lot of info and you cake looks amazing by the way!!

lastingmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lastingmoments Posted 1 Mar 2006 , 5:56am
post #4 of 17

wow ----------that looks like alot of cake.

great job i think that its great

Tweedy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tweedy Posted 1 Mar 2006 , 6:28am
post #5 of 17

He's just so adorable!!!

marina34 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marina34 Posted 1 Mar 2006 , 6:43am
post #6 of 17

Thanks! I can only hope if I try it, it will look half as good as yours! You did a great job

vie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vie Posted 1 Mar 2006 , 6:52am
post #7 of 17

Wow, your cake is amazing. You did an awesome job. He looks just like him.

Thanks for the instructions. I know I am not quite experienced enough to make one like this but one day I will try.

princessjellybean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princessjellybean Posted 1 Mar 2006 , 2:26pm
post #8 of 17

wow thank you!!! how tall was the cake?

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 1 Mar 2006 , 5:32pm
post #9 of 17

What an awesome cake!!!
There is no way, I'm ready to attempt such a thing, but my 3 year old would go NUTS over it!

ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 1 Mar 2006 , 6:08pm
post #10 of 17

What an awesome cake!!!! My kids would love this. Thank you so much for the instructions. I don't think I'm quite skilled enough to make this one yet. Someday soon I hope. The directions and picture are going into my "hope to one day" note book. icon_biggrin.gif

krissy_kze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissy_kze Posted 1 Mar 2006 , 6:15pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by princessjellybean

wow thank you!!! how tall was the cake?

I don't know exactly. Here's a picture for reference. The ears are propped on the teapot and the cappuccino machine. 18 inches maybe??
LL

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 1 Mar 2006 , 6:20pm
post #12 of 17

That is so great! I can't wait to try a similar one in a few weeks for my son...

For those who don't want to try a large one, I was looking at a pix of Lumpy the other day and it looks like you could use the 3D bear pan, cut off the ears and hands, and then extend the head up a bit with fondant, extent the feet out a bit with fondant, and cover it all and add the trunk and forelimbs and ears out of fondant...

I'm going to give that idea a shot as we won't need that much cake...

lng_1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lng_1978 Posted 1 Mar 2006 , 6:22pm
post #13 of 17

What a cute cake "Ms. Wing-it"!!! Thanks for the instructions!

Les

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 1 Mar 2006 , 6:25pm
post #14 of 17

Your cakes are great! I can't believe it, I looked in your profile and you have a heffalump AND a curious george! And I have both of those same cakes coming up, although different designs...how funny!

You're awesome...

ranae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranae Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 7:49pm
post #15 of 17

This is such a cute cake! Thanks for the idea. My twins turn 3 next week, and one of them is begging for a Lumpy cake. Not quite sure I can pull yours off, but I LOVE the ideas! icon_wink.gif

madronaleah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madronaleah Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 5:50am
post #16 of 17

What a great cake! A few years ago I made a elephaunt cake and was searching for ideas- yours is amazing and I will have to give it a try! Thanks for all of the instructions! Do you have a picture of the back?
Great Job!

Shamitha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shamitha Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 6:45am
post #17 of 17

Thank you for the instructions. He is so adorable thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%