Wedding Cake: Fondant And Posts???

Decorating By tobycat Updated 28 Feb 2006 , 4:25pm by tye

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 28 Feb 2006 , 3:50am
post #1 of 7

Okay, so after I've put the fondant on the cakes (5 tiers) do I wait until the fondant has dried before attempting to put the posts through or do I do it immediately? icon_confused.gif (I think the bride will be using the new Wilton "ball" style pillars. I've never done a fondant cake before, so I've no idea.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for what to use for a base for the 18" bottom layer if the bride does not want the ball pillars?

Thanks for any and all help.

6 replies
ccoth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccoth Posted 28 Feb 2006 , 4:00am
post #2 of 7

I'm not an expert at all thumbs_up.gif , but I believe you can wait to put the pillars in. I put dowels through my fondant after it was dry and they went in just fine. In class tonight two other gals had no trouble at all pushing the pillars through their fondant. Good Luck!

Darstus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darstus Posted 28 Feb 2006 , 4:13am
post #3 of 7

The new "ball" style pillars have the hollow round plastic dowels that the balls slide over. I wouldn't think it would matter. I usually don't put any dowels or pillars in my wedding cakes until I get to the recption location to put it together. My own thought is that it keeps the cake sealed and therefore maintains freshness a little longer. Probably doesn't matter but that is how I look at it!

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 28 Feb 2006 , 4:09pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you for the info -- sounds like it won't be a problem! icon_smile.gif

Any opinions on which kind of fondant is better...Wilton recipe or MMF?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 28 Feb 2006 , 4:11pm
post #5 of 7

wilton tastes horrible...............and they're both just as easy to work with......actually for covering cakes I prefer the mmf......has more give.....make sense?

ccoth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccoth Posted 28 Feb 2006 , 4:15pm
post #6 of 7

MMF hands down!! Wilton tastes gross. I've added orange flavoring to the MMF...YUM! Just be sure to use less than the 2 cups of powdered sugar the recipe calls for and use crisco to roll out the fondant; it works much better than rolling out on cornstarch or powdered sugar. My MMF was tearing when I used the cornstarch or powdered sugar. You can PM me if this doesn't make sense.

tye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tye Posted 28 Feb 2006 , 4:25pm
post #7 of 7

i also add an extra tablespoon of water to mine when i'm mixing it and it starts to look dry....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%