Don't Try Snowbording After 30!

Decorating By montanakate Updated 3 Apr 2006 , 8:23pm by rlm5150

montanakate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
montanakate Posted 27 Feb 2006 , 10:47pm
post #1 of 14

Not that this is a cake disaster, maybe a decorator disaster? Hopefully some of you can get a chuckle. The hubby and I decided to go away this past weeked, kids went to grandma's, and we stayed at a B&B. We didn't haveant speicif plans so we decided to go to the ski hill, actually I talked DH into it. I wanted to try snowboarding. He'd been before and he was up for it. I decided to get a lesson but It wasn't scheduled to start for a couple of hours. DH thought we could start on the bunny hill. Things were going ok, I thought I was doing reasonably well. Iactually made it on and off the chairlift 4 times. Well . . . . . you know where this is going. On the 4th run down I wiped OUT!!!!!!!!! I had one heck of stinger on my right hand. I sat for a while, while hubby consoled me. Well I tried to put my glove back on but it was agonizing and I was starting to notice a limp of the back of my hand. We took our boards off, walked down the hill, turned in the rental stuff, and then walked over to ski patrol hut. They pretty much confirmed what I was thinking, something was probably broken icon_cry.gif I got a ride in the sled further down the hill to the on-site clinic where x-rays confirmed 2 fractures in my right wrist!!!!!! Now I'm ina a cast and out of cake decorating comission for 6-8 weeks. I trying to sharpen up on my hunt and peck typing skills for my return to work tomorrow, ughhhhh!
I was having so much fun boarding i was really bummed to had to stop, but maybe it's a sign I don't need to pick up another hobby icon_redface.gif
Kate

13 replies
veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 28 Feb 2006 , 1:00am
post #2 of 14

Hi Kate, sorry to hear about your "uh-oh"! Seeing the snowboarding on the Olympics I thought it looked like a lot of fun, but dangerous (at any age).
Hope your wrist does well, and your recovery time goes fast! Take care of yourself. Janice

ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 28 Feb 2006 , 1:10am
post #3 of 14

That's what you get for trying to have a weekend without the kids! icon_lol.gif I'm sorry to hear about your wrist. Try not to do too much too soon, or you could end up having more problems. Best of luck to you. I hope you heal well and quickly!!

gailsgoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gailsgoodies Posted 28 Feb 2006 , 1:20am
post #4 of 14

You poor thing!! I'm so sorry about your wrist!! At least you can tell the kids..."Don't try this!!" icon_smile.gif
Hope you heal quick!!

thyterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thyterrell Posted 28 Feb 2006 , 1:22am
post #5 of 14

So sorry about your hand, Kate. My husband was in Salt Lake City for a week at the end of January and tried skiing and snowboarding for the first time ever (at 44). He LOVED it - he is also very athletic. I, on the other hand, would be more like you and would probably have never made it to the 4th run! I hope you're feeling better soon!

montanakate Posted 28 Feb 2006 , 1:42am
post #6 of 14

Thanks you guys! I hope to be back to kinder and gentler things (like cake decorating) soon icon_smile.gif
Kate

DiscoLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiscoLady Posted 28 Feb 2006 , 5:25pm
post #7 of 14

what a bummer! But hey at least you tried it. I went white water rafting for the first time at 44!! and I'm alive to tell about it!!

Wandootie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wandootie Posted 28 Feb 2006 , 5:34pm
post #8 of 14

Sorry to hear that...sounds like you have my luck. Hey, age is just a number and the biggest risk in anything is not taking one, right? At least you had fun while it lasted. Good luck and I wish you a speedy recovery!

Wanda

Tuggy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tuggy Posted 28 Feb 2006 , 5:38pm
post #9 of 14

That´s the nightmare I´m always thinking about when we go skiing. So sorry for you and as ps3884 said: take your time until everything is really OK! Maybe you can tell your DH you need some new cake-decorating books for recovering icon_biggrin.gif

onebigdogmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onebigdogmama Posted 28 Feb 2006 , 5:38pm
post #10 of 14

Sorry to hear about that neighbor. A gal I work with, her husband, did that up at Schweitzer Mnt in Sandpoint. Last run of the day and ouch! You did good on your typing. You'll have to train the kids to decorate and you can supervise. LOL. Hope you're feeling better! icon_biggrin.gif

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 28 Feb 2006 , 5:41pm
post #11 of 14

So sorry! icon_cry.gif My mom turns 60 this year and wants us (my two sisters and her two sisters) to go sky diving and white water rafting for her birthday. HMMM..we'll see.

Since you can't decorate for a while, at least you can spend some more time on CC! LOL! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

CakemanOH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakemanOH Posted 28 Feb 2006 , 5:43pm
post #12 of 14

You could learn to decorate with your feet! icon_razz.gifthumbs_up.gif

montanakate Posted 1 Mar 2006 , 3:44am
post #13 of 14

ceculsk,
LOL!!!!!! I only wish I was that talented!!!!!
Thanks again for the thoughts you guys I really appreciate it.
kate

rlm5150 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlm5150 Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 8:23pm
post #14 of 14

You guys are too funny. I can relate to your disaster. I was sledding with my boys a few yrs ago on just a little bunny hill they had made and when I landed I cracked my tail bone. icon_cry.gif I think teaching the kids and supervising is a wonderful idea. Hope your healed up good now and back to the cakes.
Tabby

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%