Recipe For Tiered Cake That Won't Break Apart!

Baking By chia Updated 21 Mar 2007 , 4:13pm by nefgaby

chia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chia Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 4:30pm
post #1 of 6

I was hoping someone could help me out with a recipe for a cake that won't break apart when stacked. I have only done one other three tiered cake and I was really happy with the results but it started to break apart in the middle of the largest bottom tier. It was almost like it wasn't dense enough. I know that I'm going to get picked on for this one, but I used a Duncan Hine store bought cake mix. Do I need to try a special cake mix for tiered cakes? Does anyone have an easy but good recipe? I used dowels for my layers so I don't think that's the problem. Any suggestions?

5 replies
cocakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocakedecorator Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 8:25pm
post #2 of 6

there is a recipe on here for a dense cake for 3d sculpting etc i am having a hard time finding it now. I will keep looking. icon_wink.gif

cocakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 12:32am
post #4 of 6

You can also add 1 pudding and 1 egg to the DH box and that makes is super dense and moist! Super Good! HTH

chia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chia Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 2:48pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for your suggestions. Is it one additional egg to the eggs already called for in the regular DH mix? Also, how much pudding, what kind etc?

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 4:13pm
post #6 of 6

Hi, YES, most DH boxes call for 3 eggs, so you add 4, one additional. And the pudding, it is the instant kind (powder) the 3.9 or 4 servings one. I use Jell-o instant pudding and works great. Don´t use the already made cups. HTH. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%