Lemon Buttercream

Baking By leily Updated 28 Feb 2006 , 10:39pm by leily

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 27 Feb 2006 , 3:43am
post #1 of 10

I am making a Lemon cake with lemon filling for my cake class this week and was wondering if anyone had a good lemon buttercream recipe, or know of an easy way to doctor my regular recipe (1/2 butter 1/2 crisco wilton recipe) I don't have any lemon flavoring, all I have is lemon juice-would this ruin it?

I appreciate anyones help on this, I did a search and couldn't find any recipes in the forums.

Thanks
Leily

9 replies
jenncowin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncowin Posted 27 Feb 2006 , 3:50am
post #2 of 10

I don't know about lemon juice, I've always just used lemon extract in mine. You can always do a test run and see how it works out with the juice. You may be able to use the juice in place of the water. It's worth a shot.

Jennifer

leily Posted 27 Feb 2006 , 11:47pm
post #3 of 10

Just bumping this back up to see if anyone has tried this or has any suggetsions. I only have enough powdered sugar for one batch of icing and cant' go out to the store tonight.

I appreciate the help.

leily

Euphoriabakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Euphoriabakery Posted 27 Feb 2006 , 11:53pm
post #4 of 10

I use fresh meyer lemon juice in place of the water in my recipe of half butter half crisco. I add almond extract instead of vanilla. It tastes great! and it will not ruin your icing at all.

parismom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
parismom Posted 27 Feb 2006 , 11:54pm
post #5 of 10

I just made one yesterday actually! I didn't have a recipe, I just used 3 sticks of butter, 2 lbs of powdered sugar, about 1 - 2 tbs milk and the juice of half a lemon. It wasn't bad for a recipe I kind of made as I went. The guys who ate it loved it. I thought the lemon broke up the super sweet sugary frosting. I thought it was refreshing.

parismom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
parismom Posted 27 Feb 2006 , 11:55pm
post #6 of 10

Oh, I forgot, I did add about 1 tbs vanilla ext. too.

izzybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzybee Posted 27 Feb 2006 , 11:57pm
post #7 of 10

I mix lemon curd in with my buttercream.

leily Posted 28 Feb 2006 , 12:00am
post #8 of 10

Thanks for the quick replies, I am off to make my lemon icing icon_smile.gif

Leily

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 28 Feb 2006 , 12:03am
post #9 of 10

I've used fresh lemon in my buttercream and was happy with the results. It didn't take much lemon juice to flavor the batch. I didn't decorate with the frosting, just made a homemade looking cake with the whips of frosting marks clearly visible. I don't know if it effects the frosting in a way that would make decorating difficult. Sorry I can't be more helpful here!

leily Posted 28 Feb 2006 , 10:39pm
post #10 of 10

I made the lemon buttercream with my regular buttercream and lemon juice. I ended up substituting 1/2 of the water for the lemon juice and it came out great. Not to much of a lemon flavor but with the lemon cake and filling I think it will be a great combo. Will let you know tonight after class and I get to eat a peice!

Leily

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%