How Do You Do Both Cakes At A Wedding?

Decorating By peacockplace Updated 14 Apr 2005 , 5:42pm by GHOST_USER_NAME

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 2:07pm
post #1 of 7

I'm so excited. I just got asked to do a wedding cake for 250 and also the grooms cake. Needless to say I haven't done anything this big yet. I've done a cake to feed 200, but I'm not sure how to get two cake done in time. Has anyone else done both cakes at a wedding? Do you have any tips or advise?
Thanks, icon_rolleyes.gif
peacockplace

6 replies
Mchelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mchelle Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 2:14pm
post #2 of 7

I did two as well not to long ago and I got all of the layers baked. I did the wedding cake first and then I did the grooms cake the day before the wedding. Not too stressful at all. Main thing take your time, start baking the beginning of the week (things always come up when you have a lot to do). If you work take off the day before. I wish I had learned that one earlier. Make a list of all the things that you need. Keep extra on hand.

Happy Baking! Hope this helps you!

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 2:17pm
post #3 of 7

I didn't do a bride's and a groom's cake for a wedding but I did 23 centerpiece cakes and a head table cake. I pre-baked and froze the cakes and spent the entire day before the wedding decorating. Until then I'd never frozen a cake but with that order I didn't have a choice (I work full time too!) I had Thanksgiving at my house for 30 + people and then decorated cakes all day Friday and delivered the cakes Saturday at 11:00 am. The bride said everyone loved the cakes and that they were nice and moist so now I'm not afraid to freeze cakes if I have to.

Debbie

peacockplace Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 2:22pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks so for the insight. I freeze cakes now all the time. Especially chocolate. If you take it out of the oven and wrap it up while it's still warm and put it straight into the freezer, it seals all the mositure inside. People rave about them. I will deffinately try to extra of everything I need. Something crazy always happens.

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 4:15pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacockplace

If you take it out of the oven and wrap it up while it's still warm and put it straight into the freezer, it seals all the moisture inside.

This does work really well with your cake... however... PLEASE, be careful of your delicate already frozen items already in the freezer. It really could hurt them placing a hot cake in the freezer, especially seafood. But yes, it does work great for cakes!! icon_rolleyes.gif

peacockplace Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 5:23pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks cali4dawn, I have a freezer that I use just for cakes so that isn't a problem. I wouldn't want any half-frozen meat hanging around my freezer icon_surprised.gif It's just a freezer in the extra fridge iI have. I keep telling myself that I'll get one of those stand up freezers.... for now I guess having an extra will have to keep me happy!

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 5:42pm
post #7 of 7

Cool Beans!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%