You Think I Can Use The Oreo Cookie Mold For Cake Balls?

Decorating By Phyllis52 Updated 20 Mar 2007 , 1:54pm by MelZ

Phyllis52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phyllis52 Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 8:38pm
post #1 of 12

I have lots of leftover cake in my freezer and I just got the oreo molds. You think it makes sense to flatten out the cake ball and use that instead of the oreo? Or is this just too much work?

11 replies
cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 8:43pm
post #2 of 12

I think it would be a little more work then just rolling and dipping but it would work. And it would make them look really nice.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 8:43pm
post #3 of 12

You can always try it. I like using the silicone cupcake molds in various shapes for my cake balls as something different. Let us know what happens!!

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 8:46pm
post #4 of 12

That is a fantastic idea! I used the mini-pumpkin mold back in October to make cake-ball filled pumpkins (see pics), so I don't see why the cookie molds would not work. Now, would you have the chocolate go up the sides first and let get hard before using the dough?

deb

Phyllis52 Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 8:56pm
post #5 of 12

I haven't the faintest idea how I'm going to do it!

My first thought was to put a think layer of chocolate, let that get hard, then wiggle my cake burger in like the oreo and cover.

If that doesn't work, I'll try it by coating the bottom and sides.

I'll let you know!

deb - how did you do your pumpkin balls? They look great!

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 9:15pm
post #6 of 12

Ok, not sure if I'm missing the boat here but here is goes.
I took a Petit-Four class last year and one of the recipes we did was gather up all the left over pieces of cake, mix 2/3 part cake and 1/3 part B/C , flatten out on cookie sheet let set in freezer about 30 min. and then cut out more petit fours. Yes they were a bit sweeter but it worked out great and they were easy to cut out and manage.
You might want to use that as the filling instead of the oreo's just for something different!
Hope this helps.
Good Luck
Paule

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 11:19pm
post #7 of 12

Phyllis, what I did was put a small puddle of melted candy in the pan then used a brush to bring it up the sides, forming a small depression. Let that get cold and hard, put in some cakeball mix, then covered with more melted candy - let harden in the fridge and popped them out.

deb

Phyllis52 Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 12:18am
post #8 of 12

I couldn't wait, so I tried them tonight.

I took both deb's and Paule's ideas and put them together. It worked out great! I put some melted chocolate on the bottom and sides, then took my cake ball mixture after I cut the squares from the freezer and filled up the rest.

They look terrific and taste delicious. Now, what to call them.......

Thanks everybody!

qtkaylassweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtkaylassweets Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 12:34am
post #9 of 12

I have done this before. I first put some of my cakeball into the mold to see what size I needed and how thick it should be. Put it in the freezer to harden. Then I used that as my "pattern" (i don't know what to call it)
This way I new what size to make each one. I made all of the cake balls the same size as the "pattern" one. I put them in the freezer overnight to get nice and hard.
Then, i did it just like the oreos. I filled mold with a bit of chocolate, pushed in the frozen cake ball, (pushing in makes the chocolate go up the sides)then added more chocolate on top, then tapped on the table. It worked very good. It was alot easier then rolling the balls and dipping them. they were also prettier! I also added a small decoration on top.

MelZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelZ Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 12:38am
post #10 of 12

Phyllis52,

Where did you get your oreo cookie mold? I would love to have one to do the cake balls. I call mine cake truffles. You could really do a lot of different decorations on a flat surface.

I also use my Wilton Heart Shape Truffle mold for my cake truffles.

gateaux, that is really neat about using it for the petit fours. I can't wait to try that. I just did a bunch of cake truffles for a customer so unfortunately, I am out of scraps. icon_cry.gif

Phyllis52 Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 9:37am
post #11 of 12

Melody -

I got them at 3dmolds.com

They come in different designss and the quality is great. Most of us who have ordered have even gotten a free mold. Terrific customer service.

As usual, this wonderful idea came from Cake Central.

Phyllis

MelZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelZ Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 1:54pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks for the info Phyllis. I'm gonna check them out right now. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%