Newbie To Cake Decorating

Decorating By asianmango1976 Updated 14 Apr 2005 , 6:33pm by emi

asianmango1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asianmango1976 Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 3:44am
post #1 of 16

I was wondering is there a recommended list for a newbie...
Such as the best cake pans, tips, coloring, accessories, cake flavoring etc...I don't want to get the stuff I don't need....

Thanks
Brenda

15 replies
tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 3:52am
post #2 of 16

Hello WELCOME!! icon_smile.gif

Why don't you just ask questions about anything to do with cakes, supplies, colors, etc & anyone in our Cake Central family will be more than happy to help you out!! thumbs_up.gif

Welcome again,
~TC~

jscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscakes Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 4:03am
post #3 of 16

Sure, it depends on what project you are doing at the time and what future projects you intend to do! Little by little you'll be getting everything you will need.

elin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elin Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 4:51am
post #4 of 16

Welcome here, asianmango.
I have not been here for long eighter, but there is just to ask any thing in here and they/we will answer as best they/we can.

galaglow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galaglow Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 5:06am
post #5 of 16

Welcome! I'm new here too and everyone has been so nice and helpful!

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 5:22am
post #6 of 16

Welcome Brenda! jscakes is right. You'll begin to accumulate your supplies with each cake you decorate. As far as what is best, sometimes it comes down to personal preference but everyone here is always willing to share what they know and help however they can.

luceymoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luceymoose Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 2:02pm
post #7 of 16

Everyone is right. The supplies that you need are going to depend on the project that you are doing. Ask any question about cake decorating and the cake central family will answer to the best of their ability icon_biggrin.gif

Mchelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mchelle Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 2:09pm
post #8 of 16

When I started, I found that the tool caddy (with most tips) in it very valuable. Circle pans (8 or 9 inch) and a 9 x 13 pan very useful. Most of my orders use one of those pans. Basic colors are also very valuable.

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 2:13pm
post #9 of 16

Buy double pans for all your round pans, 2 14", 2 12", etc. Granted I don't use the large round pans as often as my 8" rounds, but I hate having to wait for the larger pan cake to bake and then wash it right away. I would rather bake the larger cakes 1 at a time and have the second larger cake pan waiting to go into the oven.
I definetly want to get some more flower nails!

Mchelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mchelle Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 2:19pm
post #10 of 16

OK, totally unrelated, but it's offical..... I am a cc adict thumbs_up.gif

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 2:29pm
post #11 of 16

Asking questions as you go will be good, but I also have learned so much just by going back through and reading as many postings as I can. Almost everything that comes up today will more than likely be covered somewhere in the past, because of the new people coming in all the time, they get repeated. There is a wealth of information here, no doubt about it.

As far as what to have on hand, just do basics in your pans and tools, and add on as you need things, I've found that I bought several "goodies" that are really not necessary and I could have put that money elsewhere!

Oh, yes, welcome to CC, it's great! Janice

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 3:05pm
post #12 of 16

Welcome to our little slice of cake heaven, Brenda!! Eevryone is right about building up your supplies as your projects come along. I started out with the basic decorating set by Wilton and 2 9" pans. But then I slowly accumulated all sorts of different pan shapes and sizes, tips, colors, etc. I have to admit that I am a cake fanatic. It isn't about the eating, it is about the decorating to me. I love to learn new techniques. Plus I was doing my kids' birthday cakes while learning everything. You will become more accomplished as you go along. Just take it one cake at a time and you will find a wonderful craft for years to come!!
Happy Baking!!
~Tanya icon_biggrin.gif

cgcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cgcreations Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 4:02pm
post #13 of 16

Welcome! I'm a newbie too! Just a few weeks old and though I read more than I post, this website has become a welcome addiction. Everyone is so helpful!

As for what you need to begin, just start out buying supplies for your first cake and move on from there. I use mostly Wilton, mainly because there is nowhere to buy anything else, besides internet, around here. So, I don't have a frame of reference.

Anyway, Good luck to you and keep us posted on your progress!

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 6:19pm
post #14 of 16

Welcome cgcreations and congratulations Mchelle...officially a CC addict thumbs_up.gif !

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 6:31pm
post #15 of 16

Welcome to all new!!!!!!!!!!! Ask away and ye shall find your answers!!!!!!!!

Amy

emi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emi Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 6:33pm
post #16 of 16

welcome asianmango.
I'm fairly new to cake decorating also, and I've already learned so much from this site. Everyone is very helpful. I don't have much supplies either, but I purchase as I go. I think of an idea for a cake, than read tons of posts about it from this site, than I purchase the supplies I need. I have a budget of how much I want to spend on supplies each month. I'm not in a hurry to purchase everything at once, since I do this as a hobby, but Walmart carries some of the Wilton products, as well as Miachaels. Only last week Michaels had coupons for 40% off, and I bought couple of the pans I've been looking at for a while now. Got a great deal!
Emi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%