Play Dough Fun Factory?????????????

Decorating By deb12g Updated 20 Mar 2007 , 1:19am by mareg

deb12g Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deb12g Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 2:30pm
post #1 of 19

I saw on a previous post that some people listed this as their favorite kitchen gadget. What is it used for?????????

18 replies
darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 2:40pm
post #2 of 19

I would use it for fondant. It has some great shapes you can make with it.

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 9:57pm
post #3 of 19

Believe it or not I just purchased an older sesame street kit off of ebay to make some characters I need for a cake in june! So I think it is a great idea!

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 10:11pm
post #4 of 19

I just bought the Dora Fun Factory and used it to make the characters for my Dora cake. Just use fondant or a 50/50 mix of fondant/gumpaste in place of the play-doh!

mekaclayton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mekaclayton Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 10:29pm
post #5 of 19

I've been looking for the one that presses the playdoh out into hair-like strands but have been having a hard time finding one. Is it me or did they stop making that?

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 10:33pm
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekaclayton

I've been looking for the one that presses the playdoh out into hair-like strands but have been having a hard time finding one. Is it me or did they stop making that?

Have you tried the clay extruder? It looks like a little cylinder with different disks and one has a hair-like pattern......

**edited to add: This is in the clay dept. at the craft store ~ it's not a Play-doh item but I thought it might work.

debrab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debrab Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 10:35pm
post #7 of 19

So, do these sets have molds or just things to cut out the shapes with?

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 10:39pm
post #8 of 19

Just to let you all know, I e-mailed Play-doh a while back and asked them if you could use never-before-used w/ Play-doh tools on food items.... they didn't recommend it. I can't understand what would be wrong if you've never used it w/ Playdoh and you wash it w/ warm soapy water before using..... but I just thought I'd share that info - and maybe someone knows why they wouldn't recommend it and can let us all know. I've gotten the same response from Sculpey clay on their molds & products - however, Makin Clay said their items were food-safe if they'd never been used on clay.

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 10:45pm
post #9 of 19

I got the fun factory at Target around Christmas time. It was all of $5! I ran it through the dishwasher and though I haven't yet used it, I don't see where there would be a problem.

mekaclayton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mekaclayton Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 10:45pm
post #10 of 19

THANK YOU CakeDiva73...never thought to explore. I'm always is one section when I go to the craft store and when I had to do strands, Playdoh was the only thing that popped and stayed in my mind. So glad I found this site. Yeaaahhhhhh!

spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 10:47pm
post #11 of 19

I LOVE my fun factory!!!!!! I use it for making ropes & borders. Came in really handy fot the tassles on the grad cap cakes.

I highly recommend it!

spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 10:47pm
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazykakes

I LOVE my fun factory!!!!!! I use it for making ropes & borders. Came in really handy fot the tassles on the grad cap cakes.

I highly recommend it!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Crazy_Cake_Lady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy_Cake_Lady Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 11:02pm
post #13 of 19

imartsy,

I'll bet Play-Doh didn't want to make an official statement saying that the Fun Factory because of liability issues. Their plastic is probably not food grade and the intended use isn't for food. Even if it is safe they probably couldn't officially tell you.

That being said, I admit I pulled out my kids' play-doh stuff the last time I did a tassle cake.

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 11:04pm
post #14 of 19

I can't think of any reason not to use the play-doh sets for fondant. I'll bet, because they're in the toy business, they don't dare recommend or even suggest, their product be used for food. It's made of hard plastic, doesn't sweat any type of petrolium products and that, in my book, makes it food safe. (I wouldn't recommend eating the play-doh set itself. Silly, but it sort of sounded like I was recommending the plastic, not.) I've used one for ropes and edgings and love it. Soften up the fondant before you try to extrude it. And, be sure to cover everything with Crisco. Have lots of fun.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 11:11pm
post #15 of 19

I bought a playdoh set just for myself and fondant.It is the best $5.00 I ever spent!!!I really don't think anyone would get sick but I guess they have to cover there butts!!!

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 11:17pm
post #16 of 19

Well maybe I'm just gonna have to run out and get me a play-doh set and sculpey icon_smile.gif I guess if NO ONE on here has had issues with it - it can't be all that bad, huh? I would think there's be a major thread about it if it poisoned someone or something......

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 12:11am
post #17 of 19

As I said before I just bought one on ebay that has Cookie Monster Big Bird, Oscar the Grouch and other things for a cake in June!

mconrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mconrey Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 1:05am
post #18 of 19

Yep - I have one too. Works great and was only $5 at Target. I think they carry them all year. I also got a small cheap (like $3) clay extruder at Michael's which works great for fondant! Oh, I have the clay impression mats from Michael's too. They're a bit on the small side, but you get 4 different mats for about $5! For someone who doesn't do many cakes (like myself) these tools are fantastic and so much cheaper than the "real" thing.

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 1:19am
post #19 of 19

Wow you guys give good ideas here!!
I'm so going to look into the playdoh!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%