Cake Balls

Decorating By Pearl70 Updated 19 Mar 2007 , 3:04am by dolfin

Pearl70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl70 Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 3:20pm
post #1 of 19

OK I am getting ready to try making Cake balls,it is French Vanilla Cake I only have BC icing left, any other pointers you can share for a great cake ball?

18 replies
aoliveira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aoliveira Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 3:23pm
post #2 of 19

I've only made them once and I didn't particularly like the taste. I got the recipe here on CC. I think you need flavoring and something liquid like milk or evaporated milk. I can't really remember it. You crumble the cake, make a mushy mixture and form the balls. Then you freeze them and cover them. I dipped them in chocolate.

Do a search on here you'll find the info you need.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Alex

Pearl70 Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 3:25pm
post #3 of 19

well the ones I found say add coffee creamer, I am no no drinker of coffee so I do not have any on hand.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 3:38pm
post #4 of 19

Do you have any coffee syrups???? Those work as well. thumbs_up.gif

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 3:49pm
post #5 of 19

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-142415.html#142415

Try this link to an old thread on cake balls. It has several suggestions.

Diane

mdutcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdutcher Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 3:49pm
post #6 of 19

I like to add extracts. Do you have any lemon extract? My fav flavor so far is lemon. I add powd. sugar and for the binding agent, I mix 1/2 to 1 shot of milk with lemon extract in it. Dip them in white choc. Yum they are good!

Pearl70 Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 7:21pm
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdutcher

I like to add extracts. Do you have any lemon extract? My fav flavor so far is lemon. I add powd. sugar and for the binding agent, I mix 1/2 to 1 shot of milk with lemon extract in it. Dip them in white choc. Yum they are good!

do you use BC icing in yours?

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 7:45pm
post #8 of 19

...I do.....

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 10:49pm
post #9 of 19

Ok guys~~~~~ What would you put with choc cake crumbs? Any suggestions? I have the cake tops left over and want to try cake balls. I'm a little apprehensive though....I guess because I haven't done them ever. TIA!

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 10:57pm
post #10 of 19

You could make some super strong coffee and put that it -- or just some bc and milk -- just a few drops really until it's binded. I've found that it comes out tasting like a chocolate fudge truffle. thumbs_up.gif

Sarah

Strazle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Strazle Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 10:57pm
post #11 of 19

I made them twice. First time I used with peanut butter and tiny bit of honey in white chocolate. I did not care for them nor did my husband. However, everyone at worked loved them. The second time I mixed french vanilla cake with a little seedless strawberry jam and covered in milk chocolate. Also, mixed some with pure lemon extract and covered in white chiocolate.These were great! Texture is a big issue with us....it will take some getting used to I guess.

calvarykari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calvarykari Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 11:11pm
post #12 of 19

My 2 favorite combos are: white or yellow cake with raspberry jam, cream and raspberry extract, dipped in cherry chips and the other is chocolate cake with coffee, Baileys and chocolate syrup.

medinadania Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
medinadania Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 11:11pm
post #13 of 19

My favorite cakeballs swo far are the aesiest to make and have great flavor. You'll need:
1-chocolate cake crumbs (without any crusty crumbs)
2-cream cheese frosting
3-melted chocolate or hershey's shell sundae topping

Since I used cream cheese frosting that needs to be refrigerated, I prefer the hershey's shell.

Instructions:
mix the crumbs with anough frosting to make a giant cake ball. before refrigerating, it should be quite firm. refrigerate for 1 hrs, or put in freezer for 15 minutes.
roll the cake balls (I prefer about 1.5 inches in diameter) and put them on waxed or parchment paper. put in freezer for about 10 minutes.
coat with the hershey's shell. I pour some of the chocolate in a narrow cup, with enough chocolate to be able to dip a cake ball with the aid of a toothpick.
keep refrigerated. otherwise, the shell will melt.

These has been a hit with my co-workers, and my husband and I love them. I haven't tried it with yellow cake.

Pearl70 Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 12:14am
post #14 of 19

i just failed at cake balls I do not know what I done wrong, but it is way to thin, I added Powder Sugar and just not forming a ball.

Strazle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Strazle Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 12:43am
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl70

i just failed at cake balls I do not know what I done wrong, but it is way to thin, I added Powder Sugar and just not forming a ball.

Sounds like it is too thin....try dusting hands & surface with cornstarch.

Countryatheart32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Countryatheart32 Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 1:24am
post #16 of 19

I just tried to make them this week for the first time myself.

I used chocolate cake with a touch of Chocolate Carmel Coffee Creamer and Chocolate icing coated in milk chocolate. They were really good!

My next try will be White or Yellow Cake with strawberry flavoring dipped in milk chocolate. I am hoping it will taste like a chocolate covered strawberry.

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 2:49am
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl70

You really only need to add a few drops of liquid. Just add enough until it starts to bind -- if it's sticky and gooey when you go to roll it, then imho, it's too thin.

The best results I've experienced have been when I make it really thick. I don't use any powdered sugar either -- though that sounds interesting!

Good luck!

Sarah

SueBuddy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueBuddy Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 3:04am
post #18 of 19

I have found that the best way for me to make them is to add flavor to butter cream first, then use the flavored buttercream as the binder, I put in a little at a time until it makes a firm dough, like cookie dough consistency that makes them have a nice firm texture and easy to roll into balls. Some of my favorite flavors are:
Chocolate cake with mint buttercream
Chocolate or marble cake with peanut butter buttercream (just mix pb with buttercream)
white cake with key lime buttercream
chocolate cake with raspberry (I mix a thick raspberry filling right in the cake with no buttercream or a thinner raspberry like jam in buttercream)
I dip them all in chocolate ganache except the key lime in white chocolate.
Hope this helps some!

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 3:04am
post #19 of 19

I don't add anything to my cake balls, what I do is use simple syrup (which you can flavor with any flavoring you like )on my cakes. The simple syrup leaves my cakes moist. I just crumble up the cake in a ziplock bag and squeeze the cake into balls. They are not to squishy and come out sort of like brownies. I refrigerate and then dip in melted chocolate and everybody loves them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%