Mmf Experts....

Decorating By JStar Updated 18 Mar 2007 , 7:13pm by JStar

JStar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JStar Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 10:29pm
post #1 of 11

Hey guys icon_smile.gif

I have an order for a Thomas Tank to do for next weekend and was considering using MMF. I have never made it before. What I need to know is, does it give a smooth plastic like coverage. Is it easy to work with and is there a fool proof recipe/method.

Also, would it be better to just use RBCF? That always looks greasy and has little cracks in it and I want it to look smooth and perfect - I'd use regular fondant but as you all know - it tastes gross!

Oooh and can you mold MMF? I need to kinda sculpt the face.

Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks in advance

10 replies
sunflowerfreak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunflowerfreak Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 10:35pm
post #2 of 11

If you look in my photos I have a Thomas the Tank Engine cake. I used the MMF fondant to make the cake. Thomas, the cake part was sagging inside the MMF. But it looked kind of like Thomas was bent a little bit. But the little boy that I made it for loved it. It took me a long, long time to make it though. But it was fun and a learning experience. Use the MMF recipe that is in the recipe section here on CC. It works great.

hellie0h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellie0h Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 11:24pm
post #3 of 11

I have only made the alternative MMF, it is sooooooo easy to work with. It is elastic and smooth, I roll it out on a silicone mat, no need for cornstarch or crisco when rolling. The recipe is here:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2266-0-Alternative-Marshmallow-Fondant-Recipe.html
I use 2 tsp. flavor or 1/2 bottle of loran oil in mine. I did a Robin and Frogs with this fondant last night for a cake today, in pics if you want to see how it molds.

JStar Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 12:20am
post #4 of 11

Thanks guys! Your cakes look great!

That recipe for alternate MMF looks FAB! How far ahead can you make it and store it... anyone know? icon_smile.gif

hellie0h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellie0h Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 12:28am
post #5 of 11

I wrap mine in plastic wrap, then put in zip bag. It keeps for a long time, nothing in it to spoil. I use it up rather quickly when I make it, have had some for a month though.

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 12:34am
post #6 of 11

I have only made the MMF with the sugar and marshmallows. I can get it pretty smooth and sculpt it, especially if I add a little gumpaste.

For the other users:
What's the advantage of using the alternative one? Does it make much less than the sugar one?

Sorry to hijack your thread icon_wink.gif

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 12:37am
post #7 of 11

The alternative mmf recipe uses sugar too, but it adds 1/3 cp crisco during the mixing process instead of adding some later.

I love this recipe, but I use 1/4 cp of crisco and then add whatever I think it might need later.

MMF, when done right, is amazing! I have a few cakes posted with it, and it's just so easy to work with, covers like a dream, and will really give you the look you want.

Hope this helps.

Sarah

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 12:43am
post #8 of 11

Ah, thanks. I didn't read far enough down and sugar wasn't listed in the ingredients so I was confused.

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 3:07am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenOR

Ah, thanks. I didn't read far enough down and sugar wasn't listed in the ingredients so I was confused.

Yeah, they kinda made that one confusing! I thought the same thing when I first read the ingredients!

icon_smile.gif Sarah

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 4:39pm
post #10 of 11

Hi Jstar=) I don't know if you have seen this, but it is really detailed, explaining how to make Thomas the Train and has pics too! Jen

http://thomasthetankenginecake.blogspot.com/

JStar Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 7:13pm
post #11 of 11

Newbee - yes thankyou!!! I was totttallly amazed to find that yesterday! What a GREAT tutorial!! I will definitly use that! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%