Help,newbie Want Mothers Day Cake Ideas

Decorating By Angelmooey Updated 17 Mar 2007 , 11:10am by fooby

Angelmooey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angelmooey Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 10:37am
post #1 of 6

hi im 14,and like baking and attempting to decorate cakes.in the past they have gone kinda wrong and i need some VERY simple ideas for making a mothers day cake.i bought little animal cake decorations yesterday to make it easier but maybe someone could tell me a idea?
thank u
hevs
x

5 replies
fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 10:44am
post #2 of 6

I guess a good place to start is what are your mom's hobbies? Does she like flowers? I see you've done fondant roses. Great job! thumbs_up.gif Start from there and build up your ideas from there.

HTH

Angelmooey Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 10:45am
post #3 of 6

and wot could i cover the cake in?itried fondant in the past but that was very tricky to work with and wasnt smooth and at the moment i am limited t ingrediant i dont have technical cake stuff!
x

fooby Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 10:57am
post #4 of 6

You could use buttercream like your first cake and use fondant accents. Honestly, it doesn't really matter what you use or if your icing is not so smooth or if your cake is technically wrong or right. What matters is that you did the cake with good intentions. I'm sure whatever you decide to do or however you decorate it, your mom would love it!!

Angelmooey Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 11:03am
post #5 of 6

my first cake was fondant seriosly wrong lol!
but the crumbs from the cake keep going on the icing which is very annoying whenever i do it! but tank u fo the idea i mite try the roses again but they took me ages and i made a lot of mess hehe
x

fooby Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 11:10am
post #6 of 6

Have you ever tried crumb coating your cake first? It's basically a thin coat of buttercream icing that you slap on your cake. Put in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes then put your final coat of BC. Instead of crumb coating, some people use the tip 789 (the huge tip! icon_lol.gif ). Here's a link you can read:

http://www.bakedecoratecelebrate.com/techniques/icingcakeusingtip789.cfm?cat=1

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%