Help! A Picky Costumer Wants A Birthday Cake.

Decorating By beautifulbutterfly Updated 24 Mar 2007 , 6:22pm by cacacacourtneyy

beautifulbutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beautifulbutterfly Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 10:33pm
post #1 of 9

I just started a cake business with my mom and one of the teachers at my school hired me to make her relative's 30th b-day cake. All I have to work with is she's turning 30, her names barb, I need enough for 40 people, and we need at least two two layered "8 cakes one chocolate and one vanilla both with chocolate frosting. I've designed one already that has starburst presents but I need a good tasting color border and a whole nuther design. Oh yah is two doulbe layers enough and how much should I charge. Please, I need all the help I can get. Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 11:37pm
post #2 of 9

2 8in cakes is not enough to feed 40 party size portions.

Portions size varies based on your cakes and the serving chart that works for your cakes. For me, I use the wilton chart because my cakes are tall and I torte and fill so my portions aren't skimpy but others don't like the wilton chart because they don't feel the portions sizes are big enough. You can look at wilton's and earlene moore also has a serving chart that is more generous on her site.

For my cakes, I could make 2 9in cakes and feed 40.

As far as colors if you use Americolor gels to color your icing there is no worries about it changing the taste at all! I will never use wilton colors again.

As far as what to charge you have to look at your area to determine the "going rate", your level of expertise, the difficulty of the design, etc.

For any business you need to look at what prices your area will support, what it actually costs you per cake, how many servings you get from your cakes, etc. The customer looks to you to be the expert so it's best to be prepared.

Good luck with your new venture and welcome to CC!

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 11:39pm
post #3 of 9

Hey beautifulbutterfly=) Do you have any idea of her passions/likes....dogs/cats/reading/kids/her work, church,things like that?? Knowing a little bit more about the person would help with making a design for them=) You could always make a "30" monogram and paint it with lusterdust(with lolipop sticks in it to hold it up) for the top and do some basic decorating on the cakes, but it really makes it more "personal" if you can make the cake based of of her=) Hope that made sense?? Jen

milal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milal Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 12:09am
post #4 of 9

As to what to charge, you really do have to know what your area can handle. Call your local bakers and ask what they would charge for a similar cake for 40 people.

As to ideas for the cake, remember 30 can be a touchy year. If you dont know her hobbies or likes, You could try to incorporate something like life starts at 30......, or something on the upbeat. Good Luck.

beautifulbutterfly Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 4:02pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks I'll make sure to use 9in pans. About the prices I usually charge $12.00 for a two layer round cake, but I know that's too cheap. The Krogers next to us charges $16.99. So does that sound about right? I never met the birthday girl before but maybe I'll try something floral. If you have any more knowledge on anything please reply. Keep me in your prayers. icon_razz.gif

beautifulbutterfly Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 3:21pm
post #6 of 9

She just picked them up a little while ago and I think she really liked them. thumbs_up.gif I didn't put the girls name or age so she made me icing them on so it looked kind of strange. Mom is going to sign me up for a decorating class before I take any more orders. Plus I've got a teacher who wants me to do her wedding cake so I need the practise. Thanks for all your help guys. I'll post some pics of them when I figure out how. icon_razz.gif

cacacacourtneyy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cacacacourtneyy Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 4:09pm
post #7 of 9

haha good luck with all your decorating! im trying to convince my mom to let me take classes..

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 4:24pm
post #8 of 9

cocoacourtny, sounds like as far as your age, you are young and living with Mom? You could tell her that by taking classes, it will give you a hobby and a way to make extra money that WILL actually force you to be home more. Less for mom to have to worry about. I think taking the classes is a fantastic thing for any young woman or guy to do. Good luck...

cacacacourtneyy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cacacacourtneyy Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 6:22pm
post #9 of 9

thanks :] and yes i am young, im sixteen. and i wanna pursue a career in cake decorating. im already taking advanced studies in cake decorating as a class in highschool, but thanks. i didnt think of the "it will give me more money, and ill be home more."

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%